M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By armando8ag
Hello Everyone,

I purchased two used Barbie 12v PW Jeeps over the weekend from Craigslist for $30 each, and immediately started doing research online on how to modify them to go faster. Both of the Jeeps had dead batteries, so as soon as I got home I connected them to a 18v Dewalt battery from my drill, and was able to get them running, so I know they work!

I have ordered four 12v 12ah UPS batteries from Amazon and I will be connecting two of these batteries in series in each Jeep, but before I blow anything up, I wanted to ask if there were any minimum upgrades I have to make before upgrading to 24v. Will my stock motors, gears and wiring be OK with the 24v setup? I have read into 550 and 750 motors, but am unsure of what pinions I need. I have also seen comments about heat dissipation for the motors when going with higher voltage batteries.

Also, is disabling the brake a safe mod to perform? Is there a mod that will allow a smoother braking?

Thank you for your help and advice. I look forward to learning from all the projects and experiences on this forum!
By M.L.Toys
Welcome to the club!

Upgrading to 24v is very popular to do and the success depends a good bit on the driver. They have to be old enough to understand not to switch directions without stopping first, not to hit immovable objects, drive off curbs, or other things that jar the drivetrain.
You'll need 775 motors to keep running 24v. Most 550's burn up within a week at that. You may also find it necessary to upgrade the first gear in the gearbox to steel as that is your weak link.
Disabling the brake is dangerous as the vehicle won't stop at all on a hill and will take a long time to stop on flat surfaces. We have a Brake Reduction Module that will help keep your kid from bashing their head into the windshield, reduce drivetrain wear, and still stop the car in a safe distance.
Enjoy! www.mltoys.com
By armando8ag
Thank you for the reply M.L Toys!

I have looked into the 775 motors, but will I need new pinions as well? If so, where can I find information on what size/type pinions I need? Any advice on that first gear you talk about, and instructions how to replace it?

Thanks again for your help!
By 6772owner
I second going to an ESC kit for safety, better control and longevity of the motors/gearboxes. This allows the heavy current to run through relays and heavier gauge wire, it also allows proportional throttle control, separate brake pedal and many other features/advantages. I also run cooling fans for the motors to help with the heat from running 24v.
By toycrusher
Everybody is correct. Esc is longer term solution. You will want the brake resistor regardless
By 6772owner
I also agree, I would not go past 18 volts without the ESC kit, there are many benefits to the ESC kit (adj governor, easy charging, proportional throttle, soft start/softer braking, etc). I also add cooling fans and/or heat sinks to help cool the motors. I have personally had pretty good luck with stock motors and gearboxes on a Jeep, Escalade and Mustang. You can check out my builds in the Projects sections for more info and for photos.
Newbie to mods for power wheels

By the way it’s a Kawasaki quad, forgot to add tha[…]

Broke steering column.

IMG_0693 (1).JPG weld Point where handlebars conn[…]

Corevette Motor

so much info on this site, but I can't keep it all[…]

Great project! If you click my projects link in m[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course