HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By fronypony
I have searched for this without much success.

I have a corvette with (2) 12v 12ah batteries wired in series to produce 24v.

I understand that if the motors are wired in series they are getting 12v each and if wired in parallel they get 24v each? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

I am looking into getting the upgraded motors/gearbox from M.L. Toys or Amazon and all the motors say good up to 14v, 16.8v, 18v or 24v.

My question, does this mean that they are good to run a "battery system" at those voltages or the actual motor is good for that voltage?

I guess I answered my question but that leads to another question...

Why run a 24v system in these power wheels and have the power split between the motors?

Do the volts to the motors regulate the speed?
By M.L.Toys
The voltage definitely dictates speed. Our Stage IV kit is designed to run up to 24v and we know a bunch of customers push them to 36v happily. In either speed the motors are getting 24v. The difference (in layman terms) is that in series wiring one motor eats up all the power it needs and the second motor gets the leftovers. In parallel both motors get as much power as they each demand.
By Rob222
"Why run a 24v system in these power wheels and have the power split between the motors?" If by split you mean wired in series, the only time you would do this is to have a low and hi speed switch on a non-esc 24v ride. The Lo/Hi switch would put the motors in series for slow speed at 12v , and the motors would be in parallel for fast speed at 24v. But usually if your upgrading to 24v an electronic scooter controller (esc) would be used and the Lo/hi switch would not be needed.

Real old power wheels used two 6v batteries and the Lo/Hi switch did the same thing but switched the batteries from parallel 6v to series 12v (not the motors). Later power wheels realized it was easier to have only one 12v battery and switch the motors instead.
By fronypony
Great! Thanks for clearing this up.

So I also have a Jeep Hurricane with the 24v ESC kit from East Coast Power Up, (Wes is awesome by the way), I believe he told me his kit has the motors wired in series so the motors are getting 12v each, is this correct?

Or does all ESC upgrades wire the motors in parallel with 24v going to both motors?

I am concerned that I am not getting the full potential (speed) out of the ESC kit
By Rob222
ESC upgrades wire the motors in parallel. I can't think of a reason to wire them in series with 24v esc. (oops hit button twice by mistake and can't delete)
Last edited by Rob222 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sedzy
Your info is backwards for Series/Parallel.

In series, add the voltages, current source stays the same.
In parallel, add the currents, the voltages stay the same.
By Sedzy
As an example..

1x 12v battery on high, puts the MOTORS in parallel. The motors then both see the full 12V battery, and spin according to the 12v.
1x 12v battery on low, puts the MOTORS in series. The 12v from the battery is across both motors stacked inline together, so they only "see" 6v each.

It can be confusing with parallel/series if your talking from 2 different perspectives of either the source (battery) or the load (motors)

My first post is a battery point of view. I understand your original question now... from the load (motors) perspective, you are correct. Each motor will see 24V in Parallel. and 12V each in Series.

On top of all that, you are running 2 different configurations. First you have 2x 12v batteries in Series to get 24V. Then the HI/LOW switch takes that 24v, and puts the motors in either in Series(LOW Speed) or parallel(HIGH Speed)

I hope this clears it up some.

Most of the ESCs should have current limiting buil[…]

Lightning McQueen wiring help

Collage_Fotor.jpg

My son's Hurricane Extreme

I have a hurricane extreme but it did not come wit[…]

Where to find batteries

Thanks

HobbyMasters Udemy Course