M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By 73vette
My in-laws puchased this for my 4 year old:

Best Choice Products 12V Ride On Car Truck W/ Remote Control, 3 Speeds, Spring Suspension, LED Lights, Red

It has a slow take off, and maxes out around 3-4 mph. It came with a 12v7ah battery. What battery would you recommend to speed this thing up a little? It really needs to be able to jump off the line quicker so it can drive around in the grass. Thanks
By Z7What
I cant be of much help to get it to do burnouts but i can explain why it takes off slow. The rubber band in the middle of the tires gives is much better traction than the hard plastic tires that you find on other cars. With the rubber on them if it was to put all the power down at one time it would put alot of stress on the gears inside the gear box and lead to failure. To prevent this yours has a built in easy start so it doesnt but tons of stress on the gears.

Wayne
By toycrusher
Click the wiring diagram link in my signature. There is on in there towards the end to add power to that type of ride.
By 73vette
I daisy chained another 12v 7ah battery to his truck to see if it would work. It did. I pressed to accellerator to test it, and the wheels spun. Then there was a 'pop' and some smoke under the hood.
I disconnected the 2nd battery, and everything works except the radio on the truck now. Is there something I can do to (a) fix the radio, and (b) is it safe to drive with the 2nd battery or do I need to also do something else?
By Bigmac41288b
Usually when things pop and smoke they are beyond repair and would need to be replaced. I bet that radio is fed off the main battery and when you added the extra battery it sent 24v to a 12v radio. So unfortunately the radio is most likely toast.

If it has the soft start and remote as described above then most likely it has some sort of circuit board to control the drivetrain. Some of them hold up to over volting from 12v to 18v but I'm sure 24v would at the very least shorten the lifespan of the control board and cause it to fail sooner.

You could rewire the board to operate a set relays to run the 18v or 24v to the motors through and keep the circuit board running at 12v. You will lose the soft start feature and those traction bands might grab to much on hard surfaces and could damage a gear box.

There is a ton of variables in this situation for upgrading. It kinda depends how much time, money and work you want to sink into it. Sometimes it's better to just use it as is, then find something else easier to modify that is a better starting platform.
By 73vette
Thanks for the info. Radio is definitely shot... is that something I can buy and replace?
By Bigmac41288b
If it was bought new, my first suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer, tell them it doesn't work and see if they might just send you a replacement under warranty. If not they might sell you one for a reasonable price to keep happy customers. I wouldn't divulge the over volting info to them though, that would definitely void whatever warranty it may have.
Things I DON'T like.

During lab when I was in college (I'm an ECE) my g[…]

Is this alternative similar to CJB Turbo Timer 4 […]

Hi guys thanks again - batteries come this week so[…]

In all seriousness, if you do decide to part it ou[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course