M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By eblade21
Hi

What a great forum , a lot of information. i am newbie to all this. I was hoping someone can assist me. I read so many post and threads from all members here everybody always brings something to the table. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a member here that i am following his setup as you can see below.

Just to bring you up to speed, I purchased on CL a used Razor MX500 not running for $35 for my nephew B-day in March, which i am setting up.

Blue Motor 24V 500V, new controller 36V 1000W, variable throttle, Digital Voltage and Temperature Gauges.

In addition I am adding tail lights, brake lights and headlights, CRF50 Plastic and new decals.

2 question
1. how can i time my new motor? A member by the name of Aproldan, mentioned this in several post.
2. I like to upgrade the shock but have no idea where to start looking for about a 2 inch lift.

Thank you
Eddie
Last edited by eblade21 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By eblade21
Hi

Just wanted to update all on my small project .

I have advanced the timing on my motor, I will be checking the timing with an ammeter and temperature gauge trying to find the sweet spot. As soon as i wire my new batteries 12V 15AH.

As far as the shock the original measure about 6 3/4" eye to eye. I have installed a shock from a Razor SX500 which is just right which adds about a 2 - 2 1/2 lift from the original razor mx500.

I have installed brake lights, tail lights and headlights. I also wired in a Temerature gauge and voltmeter gauge which came with my new variable speed throttle kit.

I have changed the complete body kit and new decals. Installed new bearing in the front and rear tires.

And of course the norm, brake pads brake levers and cables.

If anybody interested in pics i do have progress pics,

Thanks all
By toycrusher
We'd love to see pics!
By eblade21
Hi

Thank you for your interest,

Here are some progress pics
This is how I choose to wire my MX500

Painted Chain Guard

CRF50 Plastic with SIKSPAK Decals

New Handlebar Pad

New Fast Scooters Overvolting 36V Control Module up to 50amps and 1000W with Tail light and Brake Light Outputs

MY1020 24V 500W 27.4 Amp motor

New Bearing installed 6001-2RS

Painted Battery Covers

Painted Battery Covers

Fast Scooters Left Grip

Fast Scooters Variable Throttle Kit with on/off Key and Digital Voltmeter

Completely Stripped MX500

Painted Covers

Stripping MX500

Protecting Cover preparing for paint

Much more to come
Last edited by eblade21 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
By eblade21
This weekend:
Install of new Batteries
Manufacturing a tail light and brake light.
Headlight are installed, along with Temperature Gauge and Headlight Switch (pic to follow)
Shock installed (pic to follow)
Polished rims (Bike was sitting for a while that why I paid $35 for the bike on CL)
By Rob222
I'm following your thread with interest. We have four MX500s, a couple of the good older MX350s and three Razor quads. The MX500s are fine for the wife and kids but a little weak for my 160lbs.

Why did you replace the MX500 original 36V 500w motor with a 24v 500w after-market motor ?
Why did you replace the stock 36v controller/throttle with aftermarket 36v stuff ? Was the stock controller/throttle broken ?

How did the shock from the SX500 make the MX500 taller ? The only difference between the MX500 and SX500 is the "authentic Jeremy McGrath graphics and fairing design". I can't find any mechanical difference between the bikes.

Please explain how (and why ?) you advanced the timing on the motor, and how you are checking the timing with an ammeter and temperature gauge to find the sweet spot. I looked up the specs on that 24v motor and didn't see anything about timing it.
By eblade21
Thank you for the interest,

Here is my explanation now this is just a matter of opinion.

This is a birthday gift for my nephew which he is only 10 years old. First the bike was only $35 from a seller on CL, nothing was working the motor, throttle and controller were fried.
I replaced the motor for a lower voltage motor go gain more power by over-volting the motor from a 36V controller. Some might agree with it some might not.
There are several other options
1. Install 4 batteries, install a 48V controller and install a 36V motor (which i am doing the same thing but do not have to modify any brackets to install a 4th battery and just on a smaller scale) you will get the same amount of power on a 48V system versus my version but again this is for my nephew.
2. Just make it stock.

Here is the a thread that made me think to go with the 24V (Thread is very old)
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... IC_ID=1427

The stock throttle is not variable, meaning you turn the throttle its on let it go its off. Version 21 and up, razor did install a variable throttle. Unfortunately my version wasn't in that category.

The shock from the mx500 from mounting to mounting hole (eye to eye) measures 6 3/4" and shock from a Razor SX500 measures mounting hole to mounting hole was about 7 3/4" Also the spring rate on the SX500 was 650 lbs/in which i think the MX500 was only 450 lbs/in

From the pic you can see the size each box represents 1 inch

SX500

MX500

When I research timing there wasn't a lot information out there, if you read the thread i posted in the beginning it is briefly explains about timing brushed motors. I use to play around with electric and gas RC cars which the electric car we use to adjust the housing on that little motor.
I will try to explain the best i can in a older vehicle the was always a distributor, which if you moved it one way you advance the timing and in the reverse you retard the timing. Well the concept works for brushed motor, looking on the outside of the motor you have the two chrome end caps and the black housing. Moving the black housing (distributor) in the direction the chain moves forward is advancing (this will provide more top speed), Moving the black housing (distributor) against the chain direction will retard the timing (this will provide more low end) . The black housing has 2 indent along with the 2 end caps which you can return back to factory settings if you don't like it
With all this comes a price premature motor failure, or controller damaged.
This is a time consuming mod, you need to see what your current Temperature of your motor and amperage your motor is putting out in the factory setting.
Next you advance the timing just 1/8 of an inch by turning the black housing, then measure your temp and amperage.
You do this till your not running excessive temp or excessive amperage. Just have to find the sweet spot, where the motor puts out more than the stock configuration but not overheating the motor are having it draw to much.

You can look up RC Cars DC motor timing there are so many, which it explains on a much smaller scale.

Again this is my explanation and i am far from an expert on brushed motors.

I will post my readings once i am at that stage of the build.

I did alot of research and there is very limited information. I was hoping i can help to make this for everyone.
Hope this helps a bit

Thanks
Eddie
Last edited by eblade21 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Rob222
Thankyou for the info on the motor timing. I tried to Google it also and there is not a lot out there.
I see that you replaced the rear wheel bearings. Did you have to replace the freewheel clutch also ? If so, how hard was that ?
That seems to be the weak link on all mine. I replaced the complete rear wheel assemblies but never tried to do only the freewheel clutch.

I was under the impression that ALL versions of the MX500 (red) and MX650 (yellow) had variable throttles and full suspensions.
The early 24v MX350s (blue) had cast rims, suspension and variable throttles but on the later versions Razor removed the suspension and the variable throttle. These versions are sold as the MX350 (blue) or MX400 (green) and have spokes, not cast wheels.
By eblade21
Hi Rob

I just changed the wheel bearing in the front and rear wheels. I never removed the Freewheel Clutch, there is a tool for that, but i didn't need to do it. The bearing were very easy to change, just remove the wheel assembly, and get yourself a long punch knock one side out then the other. Please note there is a shaft spacer inside that must be installed before installing the 2nd wheel bearing.

As far as the freewheel clutch, What are the issue with the freewheel?
As mentioned I did not change mine as mine was still working properly. if you click on this website you can see the tool for sale.
https://electricscooterparts.com/razormx500.html
If you scroll half way down the page you will see the Freewheel Removal Tool. My opinion is they wouldn't sell this tool if this wasn't a common issue.

Not all MX500 had the variable throttle, they do all have the full suspension. As far as the shock I just wanted to raise the back so the bike looks even front to back.

As far as the MX350 and MX400 yes you are correct.

Thanks
Eddie
By eblade21
Hi
Here is another update:

Battery Harness

30amp fuse for battery wiring (undecided what i am doing with the hole from from switch being i have a key ignition now )

Key Switch Off

Key Switch On, Voltmeter

New SX500 Shock

Tail Light/Brake Light Configurations

Tail Light/Brake Light Wiring

Headlight and Temperature Gauge Switch

Temperature Gauge and 20amp fuse for Headlights

Headlights

Tail Light and Brake Light with license plate holder (brake lights only activate when either brake lever is applied )

Next up
Exhaust system
Speedometer

Thanks
Eddie
By eblade21
Hi

I finally after wiring everything and added some final details.

I was able to test the bike out, I am 280 LBS and 6'1" I was able to get the bike up to about 19 MPH according to the Apple IPhone WAZE App.

Bike held my weight with no issues, and toke off with no problem. very impressed.

Here are some more pics

Hope you guys like, there are so many Razor MX500 and much better than mine but i actually love how it came out
By Rob222
That came out very nice. Please keep us updated on how the 24v motor does overvolted to 36v.
I ended up buying a Freewheel Removal Tool but have not used it yet. Two of my MX500s need
the freewheel clutch replaced (they started clicking and then slipping).
By jasncab
This is awesome. I just grabbed my MX500 out of the shed and picked up my batteries from Gruber.

I need a new front tire though.. Ill order it, but I might stop and paint while I wait. Yours looks NICE.

I have a girl AND need to GIVE this thing away at some point.... hint hint...

My personal favorite... Schumacher SC-600 Ye[…]

So I would also recommend CJB Turbo Timer setup bo[…]

I am upgrading a Best Choice 12v Jeep purchased fr[…]

mine has a chrome housing with clear lens covers..[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course