M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By SoCalPOWER
Hello,

My niece already has a Power Wheels, but she really wants one to go faster. I know the 24V batt/motor/gear Power Wheels upgrades are tried and true, but I'm wanting to give her a fancier car to distinguish it more from her current PW.

The Magic Cars G55 meets everything I want -- nice body, quality interior, remote control... but I can't find anything about someone successfully modifying them to go faster. And they are not fast in stock form. I tried asking Trend Times but they did not provide much info. The G55 model has dual 12V motors.

Has anyone successfully modified one of these? 18V/24V?
By CJB
As with most things, modifications reduce reliability. You can increase the voltage and gain speed but that will make the motors and gears work harder. Harder than they were maybe designed to do. You can upgrade the motors but that may put more stress on the gears resulting in a complete failure.

You can do a lot of things but ultimately, something will break. Are the gear boxes easy to come by in case of failure? I've never heard of these guys. Availability of replacement parts would be my primary concern.
By SoCalPOWER
Thanks for the reply.

I'm more than willing to put in better batteries from ML Toys, and whatever else is needed. What I'm wondering is if anyone has successfully modified one of these Magic Cars vehicles. Will ML Toys motors fit? I doubt the gearing is the same. So I'm really looking for any experience with this line of electric toy car. I'm hoping I won't be the guinea pig, or buy the car, only to find it isn't upgradable to my satisfaction.
By Bigmac41288b
From my experience anything with a remote control is circuit board controlled. Circuit boards are not friendly to being over volted. Components on the board are usually rated for a certain voltage and amperage which both will go up with modifications. Anything is possible with rewiring, adding relays, or speed controller. It all depends how deep your pockets are, the time available and the skills you have.

I would be concerned about eliminating any soft start the circuit board has with the rubber tires in the description. Rewiring or adding relays would send full voltage through the gearboxes that were not designed to handle a hard start. Add that to a high traction scenario with rubber tires, concrete and a possible mod for 18v and gearboxes are likely to strip. A speed controller could help with preserving the gearboxes if that's the direction you want to head.

Good luck and if you take the plunge let us know about the build quality of the Magic Cars so the info can get passed along for future users.
By SoCalPOWER
Thanks for the information.

I'm going to take the plunge and purchase this G55.

I have about two months to modify it before I give it to her, but I'd prefer to do all the mods in one or two sessions.

I am an electrical engineer turned aerospace engineer so I'm not afraid of rewireing and relays.

Should I start with a 24v ESC kit and go from there? I'd really like to put upgraded motors in, but not sure how much the factory motor size/dimensions matter vs. the upgraded ones.
By SoCalPOWER
Update:
I ordered the 2016 G65 model, which is a Moderno vehicle.

About to order the ML 775 motors and gearboxes, and 24V kit.

I will update again when I start the install.
Can old motors be repaired??

The Little tykes 442S Hummer we found in the trash[…]

6V battery replacement

Q: I want to use a 6v sla battery, can I cut the c[…]

Have the same problem with my grandsons truck. No […]

Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

Not quite following from the description and pics.[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course