HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
Hello!

I upgraded my PW F-150 to a 12v car battery, and while I realize that it's only a matter of time before I burn the motors out, I'd like to retard the speed or have a speed selector switch until my son can manage the power better. Are there any readily available parts to achieve this?

In the meantime, I've ordered a remote kill switch. Thanks!

-Mac
Old Powerwheels used two 6-volt batteries and the slow/fast switch swapped the batteries from parallel wiring (slow, 6v) to series wiring (fast, 12v). Newer ride-ons use only a single 12v battery and the slow/fast switch in this case swaps the motors from series (slow, 6v) to parallel (fast 12v).

For a fast/slow selector, you would need to add a switch and a relay to swap the motor wiring between parallel and series (just like a stock PW has). I'm not sure if your 6v ride has a single gearbox or two. This only works if the car has two motors.

P.s. Lose the car battery. They are not sealed and are heavy. They are not safe in a kids ride-on. Get a SLA battery.
Rob222 wrote:Old Powerwheels used two 6-volt batteries and the slow/fast switch swapped the batteries from parallel wiring (slow, 6v) to series wiring (fast, 12v). Newer ride-ons use only a single 12v battery and the slow/fast switch in this case swaps the motors from series (slow, 6v) to parallel (fast 12v).

For a fast/slow selector, you would need to add a switch and a relay to swap the motor wiring between parallel and series (just like a stock PW has). I'm not sure if your 6v ride has a single gearbox or two. This only works if the car has two motors.

P.s. Lose the car battery. They are not sealed and are heavy. They are not safe in a kids ride-on. Get a SLA battery.

Hi Rob! Thanks for your reply. The weight didn't seem to be an issue, but I did have some concerns about the safety. I'll switch back to the SLA battery that I was using before.

This was originally a 6V PW, with a motor on each wheel. Are you suggesting that the switch would only power one of the motors instead of both at the same time?
"Are you suggesting that the switch would only power one of the motors instead of both at the same time?" No.

With a single 12v battery, when the motors are wired in series they "share" the voltage so each motor sees 6v. This gives you slow speed, with both motors running.

With a single 12v battery, when the motors are wired in parallel each motor sees the full 12v. This gives you fast speed, with both motors running.

The slow/fast switch (with a relay) is used to change the motor wiring between series and parallel. This is how a stock PW is wired but they don't use a relay. They just use a switch with enough contacts. At only 12v either way is ok. Once you go above 12v (18v and up) relays are used because the switches are not heavy-duty enough and tend to fail.
Robs covered it all, from ditch the car battery, unless of course you don't like your kid at which point it goes back to you for getting him that toy, but assuming you want him to stick around for a while to mow the lawn, the only thing that may help is a 12v wiring harness and a 12V shifter. BUT there's gonna be some hacking and expense.

MLTOYS.COM has a 6v corvette conversion kit, but no clue where to put it on that ride. My daughter has a blast in that truck, and loves the storage, but there's no good place that won't get bumped while bouncing around.

Get a helmet, or go back to 6V.
And if you add traction, better sew some velcro to his butt!

If they both run fine in high speed then I wouldn'[…]

6V battery replacement

Q: I want to use a 6v sla battery, can I cut the c[…]

Have the same problem with my grandsons truck. No […]

Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

Not quite following from the description and pics.[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course