HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By BRangeRover
Hello all, hope everyone's day is going well. My daughter has a 2 seater 12 volt Range Rover. On the sidewalk or driveway, it's fine. In the grass it's another story. It needs more torque to get through the grass on grade. My grade is very gradual, but it doesn't have the OOMPH to drive well. What's the best way to improve torque? Another 12 volt battery, change motors, gearboxes, or ? I'm not opposed to soldering, running wire or anything like that. Just need ideas that work. Thanks for your time and have a good one.
By Suburbancharlie77
Ya sorry man, I've got nothing. I dunno a thing about what you have. I can't help you with how to add pictures either.
Based on your description, it almost sounds like you may have a single wheel drive and a 6 volt, but without any information, I can't point you anywhere =/
By BRangeRover
Maybe this will help, I show 12.8 volts at the battery, but when I press the pedal I'm only showing 6.0-7 volts at the motors. Seems I should have battery power to the motors? It's got a 12v 10 ah battery and twin motors with 8 tooth pinions.
By Suburbancharlie77
But again, knowing nothing about the vehicle, I don't know if it uses a circuit board and limits voltage, or if that reading is due to wire and switch resistance?
The battery sounds rather charged, but not full, and what was the reading after the draw, also did you get the same reading at both motors?
By BRangeRover
I redid a few terminal crimps and the voltages are now the same. Prior to fixing the terminals, one motor was at 5 volts while the other was at 7 volts. Seems the gearshift is just a two throw rocker switch (to reverse polarity) while the gas pedal is a momentary rocker. No circuit board anywhere. Do you at least agree I should have battery voltage at each motor?
By brodieb666
Transmission switch is just a single switch to allow switching between forward and reverse? Have you opened it up to see?
If so, it sounds like you car is permanently wired to run the two motors in series, with each running at ~6 volts. If you wire them to run in parallel, each motor will be running at 12 volts- which will increase both the speed of the motor and the torque.
The 6v pw ride on motors are supposed to be able to take 12v, but don't know about yours. And damage to the gearbox is also a problem when you double the voltage to each motor.
But- if you need more torque, either the motors or gb will have to be replaced anyway, and maybe both, so why not play around.
By Jahkneefive
agree with brody sounds like you are series. Whats the output voltage from the pedal? Hold the rear end up and see if both wheels or just one wheel spins. Rewire to parallel and use heavier gauge wire with soldered connections. This should get the resistance down which will help on its own.

That being said, if you're going to go through the hassle of a rewire you might as well just go ahead and up it to 18v as its essentially going to be the same amount of work and cost you another $15 for the 6v battery add. Well this assumes you already have a 6v/12v charger.

That's why it is a good idea to have a brake relay[…]

Hello All

Hey I am John From Utah here for insights and hel[…]

Hi guys I'm Ben

Hey I'm new here. Just got a used dune racer cheap[…]

Thanks. Yea I hear ya, our kids wear helmets too b[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course