HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By turns
Issue: With one 40lb kid and a charged battery, 12v Gaucho can't climb very slight grass or gravel incline in 2nd gear or "hi". Just sort of stutters in place as the motors struggle. When I lift the rear end both wheels spin fine, in R, 1 and 2. On flat ground, R and 1 struggle, 2 works but sometimes takes a push to get started.

Background: newbie here, got an old gaucho and apache free that had been sitting for a while in the sun. Between the two, enough good parts to make a solid car. Used the apache body and tub, with gaucho wheels.

Based on great info here, got 12v overhaul kit from tiger, new 12v 12ah battery from gruber, reused battery harness from old stock Perego battery. New Perego 12v quick charger.

Carefully documented disassembly, so wiring the new stuff seemed straightforward, but any thoughts on whether I might have screwed something up?

When I raise the rear end and test the modes, they seem to behave as intended, with each wheel spinning in the correct direction (holding opposite ones etc), so hoping maybe the motors are only getting half the power they're supposed to and I can fix wiring?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance!
By turns
Also just occurred to me I probably shouldn't rule out a defective charger. Planning to test the charged battery with a multimeter tonight and see what it says...
By Rob222
The stuttering in place could be the wheel drivers slipping.
The Peg chargers are not smart chargers, they do not turn off when the charge is complete.
I agree that you need to put a volt meter on the battery and confirm that it is taking a full charge.
By turns
Thanks! I went ahead and picked up a Schumacher SP3 charger yesterday and am returning the Perego charger. Volt meter read 13.4 on the battery after charging for an hour or so on the SP3. Haven't had a chance to test it on the car yet but hoping that fixes the issue. Will also check for slipping/binding too though.
By turns
Diagnosis was spot on with the wheel drivers! One was in particularly bad shape - cracked in several places.

And there must have been too much play in the axle because both "pentagons" on the brand new gearboxes were rounded off :-(

But borrowed the pentagon gears from the old gearboxes, added washers as spacers on the axle to get it really tight, and all seems to be working great! Guessing I will probably need a new wheel driver to replace the cracked one though to prevent future damage (rounding) of the pentagon gears.

Really appreciate the help. The following thread was also very helpful for me in fully understanding the issue in case anyone is searching: viewtopic.php?t=20305

The originator of the Hurrican pneumatic tire thre[…]

Check out my RC Dune Racer

The finished product is a beach cart. https:[…]

You'll need a 12v battery and a 6v battery of matc[…]

Throttle switch

I was trying to check the inside of the petal swit[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course