HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
By Crafter007_YT
So I have a power wheels and I want it to go fast to impress the neighbors. I am upgraded to 24v but after about 10 minutes of running at top speed, one of the gearboxes will break. It’s like the gears melt. I’m not sure if it’s from heat, or just stress. Luckily I have several gearboxes to replace it with. I’m wondering if there is a way to reinforce the gears so they don’t do that, or maybe they need better cooling. How might I go about solving this issue?

Thanks for your time,
Mike
Last edited by Crafter007_YT on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Hammer-fm
Motor gets too hot, transfers too much heat into the nylon gears and pin, and then it softens the plastic gearbox, allowing it to spin.

There are a few ways to make it better: (A) Buy a steel gear set, which has bearings. The little 550 motors will still overheat eventually.
(B) Upgrade to a 775 motor (larger, higher heat capacity) which won't get as hot.
(C) Switch out for a 23T gearbox and a faster motor

I've done C on a Mustang and it's about 2x the speed of stock -- very similar to your 24V run, but with less torque and a lot less heat. It will certainly last a lot longer than 20 minutes. You can buy the 23000 RPM motor from Jameco for very little $$.. You'll need a 23T gearbox (from a Corvette) and you remove the pinions and put them on the new motors. That's the cheapest option.

775 motors are cheap too if you get the Jameco specials but I don't know how long they're work at 24V (I run them at 18).

You can find links to both motors here

Or you can do this.
Lights added to dune racer

Well I know it’s late but I like it! About t[…]

Hello, I have a multimeter and I'm trying to find[…]

I know this post is a little old, but I just picke[…]

FJ criuser

I will check just wasn't sure what the yellow wire[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course