Kids Wheels specializes in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines

Return to Speed

24V upgrade Peg Perego Gator HPX Questions??

I want to go faster.

24V upgrade Peg Perego Gator HPX Questions??

Postby Phoneguy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:02 am

I am looking to upgrade my sons Peg Perego stock John Deere gator HPX. I have been reading for hours on here about battery upgrades and have a few questions. Is it possible to use the yellow peg perego 24 volt battery and charger as a direct replacement for the current 12v setup? I know the battery compartment is very tight and I will have to find another location for the battery. I understand the gears and motors will probably fail at some point. What do you guys recommend as a good gear and motor upgrade for this 24V mod? This will be my very first mod so I am excited to get started. Thanks for any help provided.
Phoneguy

Re: 24V upgrade Peg Perego Gator HPX Questions??

Postby AlexL » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 pm

DONT you will kill a gearbox FAST. just buy a 6 volt 12 amp battery and wire it in series. or you can use a diagram for a scooter controller if you really want 24 volts. click the link in my signature for a simple diagram that will work for the 24 volt lbd14 controller off tncscooters.com
slow or stock power wheels SUCK!!
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am selling my vehicles because of loss of interest. If you are intereseted in a 12v Peg Perego John Deere Gator Revised or 24v Polaris Sportsman 800 Twin both in good shape with two batteries/chargers a piece in STOCK condition PM me!
AlexL
Cpl. Battery Boiler

Postby buzz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Agreed, unless you buy a scooter controller the 24V hard start/stops will hurt the gears real quick.

Go 18V or think about reviewing the ESC section more.

You can risk it if you want though with the peg 24V battery. Are they they same connector?
Orig John Deere Gator, Extreme Machine, Dumar Raptor, 2x Harleys,2x Jeeps: Barbie Cruisin Tunes + Wrangler
Only the Jeeps have not needed my help
Trying to mod an Apache
buzz
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Postby Phoneguy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the input. I will stick with the 12v for now. Maybe a future upgrade with the additional 6v. I did feel like working on it today so I added some head lights and led strip lights.
Phoneguy

Postby dozer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:38 am

Don't even risk it for a trial.
the pedal switch likes to weld in the on position at straight 24v. Dangerous.
24 volt ninja with scooter controller and metal frame gearboxes.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1047
18 volt raptor with HPI550 GT motors
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=918
dozer
Lt. Melted Switch

Postby Jacob » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:33 pm

My son stripped his first gearbox with 12V. When I was replacing it I switched to 18V, that has been about 3 months ago. It's just starting to grind on take off occasionally. I ordered 2 gear boxes so I would have a spare. He loves the speed from 18V, but it's been a few months and he's wanting more speed. I guess I'll be wiring in a speed controller and ordering new batteries and gearboxes soon..... :)

Oh, I screwed bicycle tires on the rear wheels, so that definitely doesn't help the gearbox... GOOD LUCK!!
Jacob

Postby buzz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Yes, the plastic wheel slippage is helpful to gearboxes so not ALL the torque is on them.
Orig John Deere Gator, Extreme Machine, Dumar Raptor, 2x Harleys,2x Jeeps: Barbie Cruisin Tunes + Wrangler
Only the Jeeps have not needed my help
Trying to mod an Apache
buzz
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Postby skipowder8s » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Ditto on the "no BMX treads on rear wheels". The slippage on plastic wheels is desirable as it reduces the torque on the gear box. If your kid "neutral drops" it, you will shred the gear box...fun over. In this case, spinning rear wheels is a good thing.
Father to Ella, Ethan and Ryan

Gaucho: 18v, Kill Switch, Softened Brakes, Lights, BMX treads on front
Gaucho "John Deere": Stock
"Rat Rod" Eliminator/Extreme: 18V, Traxxas Titans, #7 Gear Boxes, Brake Pedal, CPU Cooling Fans, Black and Red Paint
Peg Polaris 2x Quad: Stock (for now)
Injusa Enduro: 12v Mod
Kawasaki Super Shock: 18v mod, Traxxas Titan 550's
Super 6 Jeep: 12v mod * Get-Set-Go Cart: 12v Mod * Lil Quad: 12v Mod
skipowder8s

Postby drewdown » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 am

Have a perego gator gtx as well, if I wanted to add a 6V battery where would I put it?
18V Gaucho
18V Gator
12V Super6 McQueen
drewdown

Postby TXtinct » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 am

Bump.
TXtinct

Postby bshipley78 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:21 pm

I too would like to wire in a extra 6V battery to my son's 12V PP Gator HPX. I think the best place to install the extra battery would be under the dump bed where the motors are.
I'd also like to install a switch for the 6V add-on so that the power can be added on demand rather than constant.

Anyone have a how to or wire diagram. I am new to this site and enjoy reading about everyone's projects but I am becoming blind to what I am seeing.
Thank you for any support
bshipley78

Postby TeeJay » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 pm

drewdown wrote:Have a perego gator gtx as well, if I wanted to add a 6V battery where would I put it?

I added the 6V battery to my son's Gator HPX by placing it down by their feet and all the way to the front. There's an area in the middle front where a 6V sits perfectly. I used multiple strips of industrial strength velcro to seat it there. It hasn't gotten kicked out of place yet and the velcro makes it easy to remove and charge. It seems that this is where most people put their 6V in the gator.
TeeJay

Postby TeeJay » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:49 pm

bshipley78 wrote:I too would like to wire in a extra 6V battery to my son's 12V PP Gator HPX. I think the best place to install the extra battery would be under the dump bed where the motors are.
I'd also like to install a switch for the 6V add-on so that the power can be added on demand rather than constant.

Anyone have a how to or wire diagram. I am new to this site and enjoy reading about everyone's projects but I am becoming blind to what I am seeing.
Thank you for any support

This is a ghetto drawing I made but this is exactly how I wired mine in series. I unplug the two batteries and charge them separately.

Here is the PDF wiring diagram.
http://db.tt/UiptO7bg
TeeJay

Postby Mikee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi all. I am really looking to bring my son's gator up to 18V. Just how high can you go voltage wise before the motor decides to fry? My son's gator is the HPX model I think. it's the model before the new one that came out last year. Being all stock, would throwing in another 6vdc battery fry anything?
Mikee

Postby SAHDman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 am

You run the risk of frying motors on 18v but they can also fry on 12v (although it's rare). Most people upgrade to 18v and have no issues, especially with the Peg Perego vehicles (they tend to handle 18v better). It all comes down to how hard your kid drives the car, their weight, etc. If they are 120 pounds and doing power slide and burn outs, then prepare for motor/gear box replacement often
SAHDman
Officer Peg Head

Postby Mikee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks SAHDman. It's too bad there isn't an upgrade kit to bring the gator to 18V motor with higher speed gearboxes without have to use the stock ones. This way it would be designed to take the increases.
Mikee

Return to Speed