KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters
Gruber
KidsWheels
I want to go faster.
I am looking to upgrade my sons Peg Perego stock John Deere gator HPX. I have been reading for hours on here about battery upgrades and have a few questions. Is it possible to use the yellow peg perego 24 volt battery and charger as a direct replacement for the current 12v setup? I know the battery compartment is very tight and I will have to find another location for the battery. I understand the gears and motors will probably fail at some point. What do you guys recommend as a good gear and motor upgrade for this 24V mod? This will be my very first mod so I am excited to get started. Thanks for any help provided.
DONT you will kill a gearbox FAST. just buy a 6 volt 12 amp battery and wire it in series. or you can use a diagram for a scooter controller if you really want 24 volts. click the link in my signature for a simple diagram that will work for the 24 volt lbd14 controller off tncscooters.com
Agreed, unless you buy a scooter controller the 24V hard start/stops will hurt the gears real quick.

Go 18V or think about reviewing the ESC section more.

You can risk it if you want though with the peg 24V battery. Are they they same connector?
My son stripped his first gearbox with 12V. When I was replacing it I switched to 18V, that has been about 3 months ago. It's just starting to grind on take off occasionally. I ordered 2 gear boxes so I would have a spare. He loves the speed from 18V, but it's been a few months and he's wanting more speed. I guess I'll be wiring in a speed controller and ordering new batteries and gearboxes soon..... :)

Oh, I screwed bicycle tires on the rear wheels, so that definitely doesn't help the gearbox... GOOD LUCK!!
By buzz
Yes, the plastic wheel slippage is helpful to gearboxes so not ALL the torque is on them.
Ditto on the "no BMX treads on rear wheels". The slippage on plastic wheels is desirable as it reduces the torque on the gear box. If your kid "neutral drops" it, you will shred the gear box...fun over. In this case, spinning rear wheels is a good thing.
I too would like to wire in a extra 6V battery to my son's 12V PP Gator HPX. I think the best place to install the extra battery would be under the dump bed where the motors are.
I'd also like to install a switch for the 6V add-on so that the power can be added on demand rather than constant.

Anyone have a how to or wire diagram. I am new to this site and enjoy reading about everyone's projects but I am becoming blind to what I am seeing.
Thank you for any support
drewdown wrote:Have a perego gator gtx as well, if I wanted to add a 6V battery where would I put it?

I added the 6V battery to my son's Gator HPX by placing it down by their feet and all the way to the front. There's an area in the middle front where a 6V sits perfectly. I used multiple strips of industrial strength velcro to seat it there. It hasn't gotten kicked out of place yet and the velcro makes it easy to remove and charge. It seems that this is where most people put their 6V in the gator.
bshipley78 wrote:I too would like to wire in a extra 6V battery to my son's 12V PP Gator HPX. I think the best place to install the extra battery would be under the dump bed where the motors are.
I'd also like to install a switch for the 6V add-on so that the power can be added on demand rather than constant.

Anyone have a how to or wire diagram. I am new to this site and enjoy reading about everyone's projects but I am becoming blind to what I am seeing.
Thank you for any support

This is a ghetto drawing I made but this is exactly how I wired mine in series. I unplug the two batteries and charge them separately.

Here is the PDF wiring diagram.
http://db.tt/UiptO7bg
Hi all. I am really looking to bring my son's gator up to 18V. Just how high can you go voltage wise before the motor decides to fry? My son's gator is the HPX model I think. it's the model before the new one that came out last year. Being all stock, would throwing in another 6vdc battery fry anything?
You run the risk of frying motors on 18v but they can also fry on 12v (although it's rare). Most people upgrade to 18v and have no issues, especially with the Peg Perego vehicles (they tend to handle 18v better). It all comes down to how hard your kid drives the car, their weight, etc. If they are 120 pounds and doing power slide and burn outs, then prepare for motor/gear box replacement often
Thanks SAHDman. It's too bad there isn't an upgrade kit to bring the gator to 18V motor with higher speed gearboxes without have to use the stock ones. This way it would be designed to take the increases.

Wow! Top job on the build and the info your sharin[…]

Jaguar F-Type (RC) mods

Looks pretty cool that ride of yours! Good work on[…]

Chicago Police Squad Truck

I do apologize But it's been a hot summer weekend[…]

You'd pretty much massacre the wiring to add some […]

HobbyMasters