Kids Wheels specializes in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines

Return to Speed

PW Dune Racer

I want to go faster.

PW Dune Racer

Postby summersinc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 pm

We just recieved from Santa a Power Wheels Dune racer 12 volt. We are looking to make this thing go faster, as we also have a PW 4wheeler that goes much faster. We are looking to go 18v or 24v which ever is safer and less Maintennace. I have laying around 2 6v batteries that at the moment are tied together to make 12v. Any help wil be greatly apprieciated. The link below is a picture of the PW Dune Racer for reference.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st= ... &pid=57998
summersinc

Re: PW Dune Racer

Postby wired » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:20 pm

going up to 24v is going burn up/break things. There is alot of info in the "FAQ's" sections. Check it out and you will probably find every answer you need for an upgrade. Welcome and enjoy.
Last edited by wired on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.
wired
Lt. Melted Switch

Postby madmaxdecals » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Don't go 24 volts if you are looking for low maintenance....going to 18 volts won't require any major upgrades and there is even a section in the batteries and electrical for 18volt upgrades specifically
Mad Max Collection---
JD Gaucho
Rockin Gaucho!! 18v
Gaucho Silver Edition 18v
Boss 302 Mustang 18v (the Daily Driver)
Razor Quad - 24 volt
Hybrid Escalade-Pink 18v
Eliminator - 18v, 21t, HPI 550 GT's
Extreme Machine 18v, 21t, HPI 550 GT's
Jeep Hurricane- 18v
Grave Digger - 18v
madmaxdecals
Col. Fried Wires

Postby salazarjohn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Hey guys, Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone know how many teeth the gearbox in the dune racer comes with?

I'm thinking keep it simple, go up 1 or 2 steps in gearbox and go to 18v?
salazarjohn

Postby akadocbt » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 am

salazarjohn wrote:Hey guys, Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone know how many teeth the gearbox in the dune racer comes with?

I'm thinking keep it simple, go up 1 or 2 steps in gearbox and go to 18v?

Don't know about changing the GB, but going up in motor would work. The stinger is 15T, so I expect the dune is same. I changed out to the HPI 550's. They did great for few times they were used. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8952
akadocbt
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Postby salazarjohn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 am

I really would like to make this very low maintenance. I'm kinda burnt out of replacing gearboxes because the first gear always got chewed up on me. That's why I figured just pay the $100 for a pair of 19t gearboxes and take it to 18v. I figure your gonna lose torque by going up in the gearbox but then adding 6v of power should make up for that.

Secondly I have already made up a 18v battery pack that will slide into the battery compartment. Basically consists of a 12v 12ah a 6v 12ah a 30amp circuit breaker and an old connector taken out of a dead PW battery. This way if one of the motors burns out during the warranty period I can just take it over to my local repair center and have them deal with it. (no mods to the unit during the warranty period)
salazarjohn

Return to Speed