KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
Newb to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help and patience:)

My boys are 5 and 6 and are determined to get this new Mario Kart vehicle that has a 6v battery and I would imagine is too slow to enjoy. Is anyone planning to purchase this and perform the upgrade? I would love advice on how to proceed.

thanks again,
Shawn
a link would be great so we know what you are referring too.
keithlee wrote:Newb to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help and patience:)

My boys are 5 and 6 and are determined to get this new Mario Kart vehicle that has a 6v battery and I would imagine is too slow to enjoy. Is anyone planning to purchase this and perform the upgrade? I would love advice on how to proceed.

thanks again,
Shawn

I'm 24 years old, and I too want that!

If you have a Toys R Us near you, go check it out and see if it has room for a larger battery.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Gruber_Power on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I looked it over in the store today. It seems to be as slow as I expected it to be. Only one motor on the R rear. There is no housing for a motor/gearbox assembly on the left side. So adding a motor there would seem to require some sort of panel fabrication, I would guess. The battery is apparently charged via what looks like a standard 12v power supply plug. I am more uncertain than before as to whether I can manage a workable upgrade for this vehicle, which is a shame as it looks really cool.

Any opinions?
Brought it home today. Slow as molasses and barely able to make it up the driveway. I stuck a 12v battery in it and it now has at least a semblance of pep. Now I have a few questions:
- how long before I can expect to burn up the motor?
- what sort of replacement motor should I look for to handle the increased voltage/speed etc?
- am I also likely to need to get a stouter gearbox? Will a drop in replacement exist?
- should I expect issues using the stock charger to charge the beefier battery?

Thanks for your help!
Shawn
if this is a 6 volt ride you cannot use the stock charger to charge a 12 volt battery. Get a Schumacher from walmart
keithlee wrote:Brought it home today. Slow as molasses and barely able to make it up the driveway. I stuck a 12v battery in it and it now has at least a semblance of pep. Now I have a few questions:
- how long before I can expect to burn up the motor?
- what sort of replacement motor should I look for to handle the increased voltage/speed etc?
- am I also likely to need to get a stouter gearbox? Will a drop in replacement exist?
- should I expect issues using the stock charger to charge the beefier battery?

Thanks for your help!
Shawn

Being such a new BPRO it's really hard to answer your questions without specs on the motor. It looks to be your typical 550 type of motor. Which can be replaced with any 550 motor of your choice. Common choice around these parts are HPI 550GT or any of the banebots motors. Pinion tooth count would be a nice piece of knowledge to have as well. That way if you ever have to change the motor you can have one on hand ready to go. The pinion and first gear mesh look to be 32 pitch but it's hard to tell for sure from pics.

As far as the gearbox goes beefier probably not. Replacements, your best bet would be to call or email the manufacturer. That being said, the shape and size look similar to that of a Power Wheels 3a gearbox minus the Lil hump on the side and the fourth gear, and driver output lol

As mentioned earlier you will have to change your charger from a 6v to 12v
I know its an old thread but I thought I'd add my first power wheels mod story in case anyone comes across it. Bought a 6v mario kart on offer up. Didn't work very well. I had an old 18v ryobi drill that was on its last leg so I decided to go for it. Took the drill apart and the motor was a little bigger than the stock Mario kart motor. Had to cut the mounting plastic off for the motor to fit and cut new holes to hold the motor in. The sprocket matched perfectly. Removed the chip on the top of the old motor and soldered it to the new 18v motor. Wired the new motor up and connected the battery cables to the 18v ryobi battery. It works great. A little faster than stock. A little too much torque though. The front lifts off the ground and pulls left at first. Once it settles down it goes pretty fast for a 3yo. The motor screams really loud but it works fine. I Have a lot of ryobi batteries so its easy to change and carry extras.
Magic Cars modifications

Thanks for the information. I'm going to take t[…]

Will do! Not gonna lie, I was thinking about padd[…]

If you are close to me in East Bridgewater MA 0233[…]

Would rather sell all as a lot - in East Bridgewat[…]

HobbyMasters