KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By JohnDoe999
Hi All,

Been lurking around for awhile, but finally got the courage to join and post.

I have a powerwheels 12v jeep that I would love to upgrade, but not sure where to start or what to do. I've seen battery conversion kits listed, but I've also read that motors get burns out or there are upgrades to 18v or 24v, and my head is spinning. So my questions are, where do I start, what do I, what supplies do I order?

1. Does anyone have the 12v Jeep and can recommend what to do based on what they did.
2. Is there a guide they recommend to follow
3. What parts do I need
4. Will my motor burn out unless I upgrade it too?
5. Whats the level of effort (I'm not an electrician)
6. I saw a Udemy course for upgrading rides, does anyone recommend this?

What I'm looking to get out of this is a faster car. My two kids are approaching 120 lbs combined, and the jeep is NOT going up medium inclines.

Thanks all.

120 lbs is a decent amount of weight in a stock Power Wheels.

Let's try to define the target better: you want this thing to be able to go up mild hills with 120lbs of kids. Do you need it to go faster than stock on level ground as well? And is this the Hurricane Jeep or a different model? (there are about 10 variants of the Jeep Wrangler, which uses a completely different axle and has a different gear ratio).

18V on a stock motor isn't going to last with that kind of weight. You can definitely upgrade to a 775 motor but even that may be challenged: I've torched a good 775 motor (one of the Banebots ones) with a similar load at 20V even with a current-limited controller (lower strain at takeoff). You also run the danger of breaking a gearbox since there won't be as much slip with all that weight.

That said, it can be done fairly cheaply with a bit of work (see my $3 Nichibo 7013F recommendation in the Gearbox "Motor Database" sticky thread -- you also need 16T or 19T pinions -- depending on the vehicle model -- and some sort of bushing, either from Mltoys or you fab it yourself with 1/2" PVC pipe) or you can buy a 775 motor kit from EastCoastPowerUp, MLtoys, etc. If it only lasts a few months then you're at least not out much money (I have yet to burn one up, but I'm using less-conventional setups).

Good luck!
Cool, thank you both, will look into this.

One follow up question.

You say the weight is pushing the limit for these. Is there anything you recommend to purchase for the next level up. I saw some dune buggy for almost 1K, but its weight limit is 150 lbs.

Darn kids grow fast these days. :D

Professional writing or essay service which needs […]

I’m looking for the 88-98 body style Chevrol[…]

The best easiest upgrade to add both durability an[…]

Hello, Unfortunately I know less today about my[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course