KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Esahic
I have a old power wheel that I wanted to upgrade for my daughter. I also have 2 electric scooters 🛴. So here is my idea 💡 The power wheel is powered by 2 small electric motors and 2 6v batteries. The scooters have motors that are Voltage-24 Current-14 Speed-2750rpm Output-250W. With 2 12V batteries each. I want to make a frame for the power wheel body and use the scooter parts to power it.

I’ve already taken the power wheel apart and 1 of the scooters.

How do I check if the batteries are still good? I don’t have a charger for the power wheel, but I do have 1 charger for the scooter, but it doesn’t seem to be charging.

So I’m wondering what kind of speed could I expect from the scooter motors and batteries?

Could I use the brake and throttle from the scooter?

I did some ready on the forum, but I’m still very new to power wheels and electric motors.... well I’m not to great with electrical anyway. I know how to install light fixtures and fans but that’s about all I’ve done. More of a woodworker.

How do I upload pictures?

By PushDaButton
As far as the images go, use imgur.com and link them. The rest... That's a lot, and we need to fix some assumptions before we move forward. Will try to follow up off mobile.
By PushDaButton
How do I check if the batteries are still good?
Option 1 - Put a load on it such as a motor not hooked up to anything, see if it discharges. If motor spins, unhook it immediately.

Option 2 - Put a multimeter on positive and negative terminals, record the voltage difference. Should be closer to 13 volts than 12.
I do have 1 charger for the scooter, but it doesn’t seem to be charging.
Could be batteries, could be charger. Put a multimeter across the terminals of the charger with it plugged in. Make sure multimeter is measuring voltage. Do you see anything like 12 volts coming from the charger?
So I’m wondering what kind of speed could I expect from the scooter motors and batteries?
You have 2 each, 336 watt draw motors meant for 24 volts. That's the good news.

The bad news is they're 2750 RPM, about 1/6th the speed of a regular Power Wheels motor. You need a way to get that to turn the wheels on the car at an appropriate speed. You cannot do this with a stock Power Wheels gearbox. There are many possible ways to fix that problem, but none of them appropriate for your current skill level.

You either need to get into a bit of mechanical design, metal fabrication, and/or 3D printing, or get new motors. Your call.

My grandson's Kawasaki Ninja Power Wheels (which I[…]

I really like this method of charging for a 18v se[…]

Charging 18v setup

OK. That's what I figured. Oh well, it's just more[…]

Stock steering motor

Hi just wondering if anyone with a parental remote[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course