KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Mann-Du
Hello to all of you genius's on this site that are so helpful to everyone on here.Not only am I new to this site but also new to the whole modifying thing.I am trying to mod a Rastar remote conrtol BMW Z4 from 6v to 12v but notice there is absolutely not one post on this site about any Rastar ride ons,My question is ,is it even possible to upgrade it to 12v without burning anything out such as headlights ,car noises,etc.Would appreciate any insight on this issue.Thanks in advance.

There has been an explosion of imported 6v power wheels in the past few years. Very little is known about most of them. In general, you are time and money ahead to keep your lights, etc on your 6v batter, then convert to a power wheels harness and gearboxes for 12-18v madness ;)

You will probably need to do some plastic hacking to fit components. Best bet is to look for a unibody powerwheels jeep that's rotting in someones yard to pick up for dirt cheap and steal all the parts from. Or you can post a wanted ad here on the forum.
Hello first of all thank you for your quick response.Alright so you are basically telling me that headlights,etc stays 6v but for speed I would switch to powerwheels harness and gearboxes correct ? When you say unibody for powerwheels what do you exactly mean by unibody ? Is there anyway you can show me a step by step diagram or something of that nature ? Any help would be very much appreciated.Trying to get my little sons car on the road as soon as possible.Once again thanks for your help.
Last edited by Mann-Du on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content/up ... 93x493.jpg

This is the basic unibody jeep you will want to look for. They come in barbie versions and a hundred others. Easy to dissasemble and transfer to another vehicle. I don't know what the structure of yours is so a bit of ingenuity may be required to get it all to fit. ;)

Open yours up a bit and post pictures here and some of us may be able to come up with some tips on how to do it :)
Last edited by toycrusher on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the car but I am so new to this modding thing that I really don't know what to start taking pictures of..I kind of get what you mean by transferring the parts from the power wheels over to the Rastar BMW...So I would basically add a completely different battery for speed and leave the current 6v battery for rc,headlights,noises,mp3,etc. Correct ??? Thanks once again.
Attachments
$_57 (15).JPG
this is the car
$_57 (15).JPG (71.81 KiB) Viewed 6477 times
Yes, you would need a 12v battery for the new drivetrain.
That's what you need right there. You will also need a pair of wheel drivers. Depending on what the inside of the original wheels look like, you will need to choose between a few different styles of driver to see which is easiest adapted to what you have.
Ok so let me get this straight the only thing missing is a pair of wheel drivers and absolutely nothing else ??? And what would I do with the motor/gearbox that is already there ?? I suppose replace it with one of the 12v motors ?? Then add the other motor/gearbox on the other side to the other wheel ??? I see there is a pedal and some other square looking object which I have no clue what that even is in the picture that I attached prior to this message.Would I have to switch the pedal from the one that's already there ??? I am going to attach some pictures so you can have an idea what the car is built like.The battery is under the seat and I'm assuming that the remote control box or whatever you call that is on the bottom of the car along with the speaker and some other object there that again I have no clue what it is ????Thanks for your help I really do appreciate it.
Attachments
car.jpg
car.jpg (135.11 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
Untitled2.gif
Untitled2.gif (419.41 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
bottom of car1.gif
bottom of car1.gif (386.02 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
bottom 1.gif
bottom 1.gif (474.7 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
Ok, good start. It's hard to get a good view of just how much room is under the rear seat.

To start, the original axle and gearbox would be removed. You will probably need a new axle or grind down the tabs on the old one so that it's uniform diameter. You will probably need to do some cutting to get the #7 power wheels gearbox to fit in the location of the original gearbox. Then do the same cutting on the other side to fit that gearbox. Mating the power wheels wheel drivers (I might suggest using the thinner Mustang drivers) with the wheels will also take some work. Sometimes the driver can be cut out to fit the wheel, then attached with some small screws.

Your 12v battery might need to be installed in a fabricated tray in the space behind the back bumper. You will want to use the power wheels gas pedal too. Just cut out the floor to fit the pedal wherever it interferes, making sure you have some meat left to secure it to. The gear shift will also be interesting. You may be able to just cut out a slot to fit the lever through and somehow secure the box to the inside of the tub in an appropriate location.

Or... You can use the original throttle pedal and shifter to trigger relays to control gas and fwd/rev. One way or another, it's gonna get messy before it gets better :twisted:
Mann-Du wrote:What if I just run another 6v battery in series ? Thx.
that would also work if you found one with the same amp power capacity
Would it burn anything out such as remote control,headlights,mp3,sound effects,motor ?? Most of all I worry about the remote control system frying ,but I am almost 100 % sure that I can find another exact same battery from the people that sold me the car.Why didn't you mention anything about running 2 6v batteries in series in the first place if you don't mind me asking ??? Also would that boost my speed which is all I am basically looking for ? If running 2 batteries in series does not do the trick I guess I have no other choice but to do it the other way,which sounds interesting .But if I can just get the job done with 2 6v's it'll be so much easier.How does a person even know if it will fry the parts or not.Do you think this motor/gearbox can handle another 6v batter without frying ??? Once again thank you for your time and did you see the videos I sent you so that you can see how deep it is under the seat ???Thx.
I just saw the videos, thanks. If you simply added another 6v to make everthing 12v, you would almost certainly fry the original electronics. What you would need to do is leave the stock stuff connected to the 6v battery, but tap into that 6v battery in series with another to make a 12v set of leads for your motor(s). You can use the diagram below. You will need a pair of 6v SPDT relays and a circuit breaker or fuse. Your original motor and gearbox may hold up fine at 12v. Traction will be poor with only one drive wheel, but it's still something ;) As a plus, you keep the remote control feature. :)
Dual SPDT Control 6v rc mod 2 jpg.jpg
Dual SPDT Control 6v rc mod 2 jpg.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
Last edited by toycrusher on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion.... before spending time and money retrofitting gearboxes etc, get a 12v battery and 12v charger. Leave the 6v battery there to power the other stuff. Won't need charged that often since it no longer powers the motor. If the motor or gearbox burns up.... then go in to replace that stuff. If not, you have saved a lot of work.

Find a good space to mount the 12v battery (as large as possible) and pick a battery based on that. You will have to follow the wiring to figure out exactly how to isolate the motor from the lights etc.

My second option would be to add second 6v battery at the motor, so that the lights etc are unaffected. It could be switched to act as a "turbo" mode when switch is flipped/pressed.

If these ideas are crazy or there's something I'm missing.... surely someone here will explain. It's been a few years since I've messing with a PW. On my kid's 6v four wheeler, I just replaced with a 12v battery. It had no lights etc. It's still running fine after several summers of use.
toycrusher wrote:I just saw the videos, thanks. If you simply added another 6v to make everthing 12v, you would almost certainly fry the original electronics. What you would need to do is leave the stock stuff connected to the 6v battery, but tap into that 6v battery in series with another to make a 12v set of leads for your motor(s). You can use the diagram below. You will need a pair of 6v SPDT relays and a circuit breaker or fuse. Your original motor and gearbox may hold up fine at 12v. Traction will be poor with only one drive wheel, but it's still something ;) As a plus, you keep the remote control feature. :)
So you are saying to add another 6v battery to the one that would be running in series which would make it 3 6v batteries total correct ??? Is this set up that you are showing me in the diagram a different setup from the original one that you were telling me about (the 12v battery & new drive train) ??? I 'm assuming that with the setup you have a given me in the diagram I wouldn't have to change the gas pedal or where the gear shift goes ??? I gotta admit the diagram has confused the heck outta me...Where it says stock 6v ground (very imortant) is that the original battery that is in there right now that you are referring to ??? Also this way is just with the one motor/gearbox correct ???
Last edited by Mann-Du on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mann-Du wrote:
toycrusher wrote:I just saw the videos, thanks. If you simply added another 6v to make everthing 12v, you would almost certainly fry the original electronics. What you would need to do is leave the stock stuff connected to the 6v battery, but tap into that 6v battery in series with another to make a 12v set of leads for your motor(s). You can use the diagram below. You will need a pair of 6v SPDT relays and a circuit breaker or fuse. Your original motor and gearbox may hold up fine at 12v. Traction will be poor with only one drive wheel, but it's still something ;) As a plus, you keep the remote control feature. :)
So you are saying to add another 6v battery to the one that would be running in series which would make it 3 6v batteries total correct ??? Is this set up that you are showing me in the diagram a different setup from the original one that you were telling me about (the 12v battery & new drive train) ??? I 'm assuming that with the setup you have a given me in the diagram I wouldn't have to change the gas pedal or where the gear shift goes ??? I gotta admit the diagram has confused the heck outta me...Where it says stock 6v ground (very imortant) is that the original battery that is in there right now that you are referring to ??? Also this way is just with the one motor/gearbox correct ???
Sorry, I'm tossing you around. Instead of a second 12v battery on it's own for the drivetrain, you would just add a 2nd 6v battery to your original 6v to make a 6v circuit for stock components, and a 12v circuit for the motor. The original battery would drain faster than the added one, but probably not too badly. You would keep all original gas pedal, shift box, remote control, etc. The only changes would happen under the seat.
Single drive cars tend to spin out that tire on uneven surfaces, and also take a while to accelerate when you hop up the power because the tire is just spinning. The fix is to add a matching gearbox to the other side. I would recommend starting with what you have and the mod. Once that's done it's easy to add a 2nd gearbox and just wire it in parallel with the original gearbox.
Can you please break this diagram down by steps I wouldn't even know where to begin.Like for instance
step 1:
step 2:
step 3:
step 4:
etc.
etc.
It would make life so much easier for me.Appreciate it like always.
Attachments
Dual SPDT Control 6v rc mod 2 jpg (1).jpg
Dual SPDT Control 6v rc mod 2 jpg (1).jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Ruh Roh! I was never to good at this! :o
Mann-Du wrote:Can you please break this diagram down by steps I wouldn't even know where to begin.Like for instance
step 1: Purchase a second 6v battery of the same AH capactiy, two 6v SPDT relays, an inline fuse holder or circuit breaker, 10' ea of red and black 14gauge wire, and a handful of connectors
step 2: Mount the battery and relays under the seat somewhere, leave the original battery disconnected for now
step 3: Disconnect the red and black wires connected to the motor and connect them to terminals 86 of the two relays
step 4: Using your wire and terminals, create the connections between the batteries, the inline fuse holder, the relays, and the motor, being careful which terminal and battery each wire should connect to. It will look a bit like spaggeti but don't worry.
step 5: Connect the terminals to the batteries and give it a try! :D
etc.
It would make life so much easier for me.Appreciate it like always.
6v relays are hard to find but these would work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RELAY-6-VOLT-CO ... 83&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by toycrusher on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@TOYCRUSHER

I also want to convert my 6V rastar toy car to 12V. I saw the circuit diagram you shared.
I would like to use a separated 12V battery next to the original 6V battery (so I don't want to line up two 6V batteries).
In my opinion only 1 piece of SPDT relay is enough, am I right? I made a circuit about my idea.
I have one other question. Originally there is a 3-positions switch in the car. You can use it to change direction of the motor. (forward and rearward). Is it possible to use this after the modification? I don't think so...
Thank you for your answer in advance!
Peter
Attachments
circuit.JPG
circuit.JPG (33.21 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Please check my previous comment.
toycrusher wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 am I just saw the videos, thanks. If you simply added another 6v to make everthing 12v, you would almost certainly fry the original electronics. What you would need to do is leave the stock stuff connected to the 6v battery, but tap into that 6v battery in series with another to make a 12v set of leads for your motor(s). You can use the diagram below. You will need a pair of 6v SPDT relays and a circuit breaker or fuse. Your original motor and gearbox may hold up fine at 12v. Traction will be poor with only one drive wheel, but it's still something ;) As a plus, you keep the remote control feature. :)

vpvpvp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:08 am @TOYCRUSHER

I also want to convert my 6V rastar toy car to 12V. I saw the circuit diagram you shared.
I would like to use a separated 12V battery next to the original 6V battery (so I don't want to line up two 6V batteries).
In my opinion only 1 piece of SPDT relay is enough, am I right? I made a circuit about my idea.
I have one other question. Originally there is a 3-positions switch in the car. You can use it to change direction of the motor. (forward and rearward). Is it possible to use this after the modification? I don't think so...
Thank you for your answer in advance!
Peter
Sorry, I'm not on here much anymore. You could do something like that, but it's going to be more difficult than just using a second 6v battery
Man, you are amazing! Really!
I am from Brazil and was with a lot of doubts about the wiring modifications that i want to do. Your diagrams make my life easier. I have a 6v silverado and will convert to 12v with 2nd motor, both 570 35k rpm.
I also will plan to use an ESC in the future.
Thanks man!
toycrusher wrote:
Sorry, I'm not on here much anymore. You could do something like that, but it's going to be more difficult than just using a second 6v battery
VictorLima wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm Man, you are amazing! Really!
I am from Brazil and was with a lot of doubts about the wiring modifications that i want to do. Your diagrams make my life easier. I have a 6v silverado and will convert to 12v with 2nd motor, both 570 35k rpm.
I also will plan to use an ESC in the future.
Thanks man!
toycrusher wrote:
Thank you for the kind words

ive also been trying to find pieces for this littl[…]

Our 18v Conversion is the simplest speed upgrade w[…]

Hi guys, I have replaced motors and bought new bat[…]

A. 1 bone stock Gaucho Rock in complete with worki[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course