KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By rc102782
HEy everyone. I am new to the forum and wanted to share my mod. My daughter's PW Jeep battery died, and didn't want to pay $60 for a PW battery. I found the forum, and using the info in various posts, upgraded it to 18 volts. I ordered 3 6 volt, 12 amp hour batteries for $40 shipped off of eBay, cut the inner plastic body to make them fit snug. I spliced in the factory plug from the battery, and added a 30 amp fusible link from an old Altima I had laying around. Then, for the charger, I used the 75 watt laptop charger from my Toshiba L305D. I had an old power jack laying around, so I cut the end off the factory PW charger and spliced it to the power jack from the laptop. Now, to charge it, I just take the laptop charger, plug it into my custom adapter, and plug that into the battery pack. Works great so far, and the Jeep is way faster. If anyone wants to duplicate that, you can get the charger from eBay for $7 or $8 shipped, and the power jack can be had from Radio Shack for less than $5 (if I remember correctly). The charger I have is 19 volts and 3.95 amps. The power jack that it fits is 5.5 mm OD and 2.5mm ID. Thank you to all the people on this site for saving me money and helping me improve my daughter's Jeep. I wanted to share this to help people with the charger option. My other idea for a charger was an 18 volt cordless power tool charger, but that would have been a lot more work I think. Also, since I cut the plug off the stock PW charger, I realized I could put some battery clamps on it and use it as a trickle charger for automotive batteries. Since it is 12 volt and 1.2 amps, I think it should work well. Thanks again everyone! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Attachments
1-IMG_0514.JPG
1-IMG_0515.JPG
1-IMG_0516.JPG
1-IMG_0517.JPG
1-IMG_0518.JPG
1-IMG_0520.JPG
rc102782 wrote:HEy everyone. I am new to the forum and wanted to share my mod. My daughter's PW Jeep battery died, and didn't want to pay $60 for a PW battery. I found the forum, and using the info in various posts, upgraded it to 18 volts. I ordered 3 6 volt, 12 amp hour batteries for $40 shipped off of eBay, cut the inner plastic body to make them fit snug. I spliced in the factory plug from the battery, and added a 30 amp fusible link from an old Altima I had laying around. Then, for the charger, I used the 75 watt laptop charger from my Toshiba L305D. I had an old power jack laying around, so I cut the end off the factory PW charger and spliced it to the power jack from the laptop. Now, to charge it, I just take the laptop charger, plug it into my custom adapter, and plug that into the battery pack. Works great so far, and the Jeep is way faster. If anyone wants to duplicate that, you can get the charger from eBay for $7 or $8 shipped, and the power jack can be had from Radio Shack for less than $5 (if I remember correctly). The charger I have is 19 volts and 3.95 amps. The power jack that it fits is 5.5 mm OD and 2.5mm ID. Thank you to all the people on this site for saving me money and helping me improve my daughter's Jeep. I wanted to share this to help people with the charger option. My other idea for a charger was an 18 volt cordless power tool charger, but that would have been a lot more work I think. Also, since I cut the plug off the stock PW charger, I realized I could put some battery clamps on it and use it as a trickle charger for automotive batteries. Since it is 12 volt and 1.2 amps, I think it should work well. Thanks again everyone! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

+1

I am also planning to use my old dell laptop power adapter for charging my 18v setup. The concerns I have are:

1. Will this method overcharge the batteries? (I am using 12v 12ah + 6v 12ah setup with Dell 19v 3.4ah 65w power adapter)
2. If I use the bigger laptop charger like the big dell 19v 5ah power adapter to charge 2 18v setup in parallel, will this cause any issue?
3. I guess I could add in the 30amp fuse inline to make the charge safe using the above method right?

I could of course use my Noco Genius chargers to charge the 12v and 6 batteries individually, but want to solder the wire together to make a 18v battery as always so hence the laptop charger idea comes into place.
Hmmm, I'm sure there's more expert than me on here, but, I'd sure read on the threads that say to charge on same type, and amp hr rated batteries that are connected together, thus the 12v and 6v are diff voltages. There's quite a few threads that discuss having diff charging ports for ea batt, and discussion on chargers to handle more than 1 batt at a time. Also, I don't recall the exact thread, but on the max amperage charger that won't harm a batt.
Yea I not sure about series connection for 12v and 6v battery when charging using 18v power adapter. I guess I could do 3x6v batteries but then I will have 2x12v to use separately as 12v. I could do the individual charge like 6v batteries on another charger and 12v on another. I prefer solid connection like solder and use quick disconnect to connect to the pw. I have experienced in the past where the crimp connector becomes too loose to hold to each other and a couple of vibration will knock the cable off and the pw stops
Unibody Jeep Front End Sag

I did this on my Hurricane. I used a fairly long M[…]

I will have to look at the shifter when I get off […]

Upgrade BMW i8 Concept

If the 6v bat is stock it may have a built in fuse[…]

Will do. You're next in line.

HobbyMasters Udemy Course