KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By FrostC60
So I'm upgrading my daughters Dune Racer to 24volts. I ordered 2 12volt batteries and Stage IV Speed Motors/Gearboxes from MLTOYS. My issue is I feel like 24 volts is going to throw her head back. I want some kind of speed controller but not sure what people are using...thats working... I bought the brake reduction module from MLTOYS, which im thinking I wont need with a controller (correct me if im wrong).

SO what works?
By toycrusher
By FrostC60
Thanks, just made my order of the DIY kit. Do you know if this comes with 2 pedals? It says it will have a acceleration and brake pedal so i am assuming so. Also, with this kit do you know if I will still need the brake reduction module I bought from MLTOYS or will the controller do the same thing?

and just as a not to others... I HIGHLY do not recommend MLTOYS as I have been emailing them and they do not even know the specs on the motors they install in their systems. Not sure how they can make the claims they do but they multiple times said the "do not know the amps or wattage of their motors." All they know is that they are 775s. VERY disappointing. I would recommend you build your own so you know what your getting.... hopefully I didn't get ripped off by them but I sure feel like I did...
By Rob222
The ESC kit will come with a metal or plastic hall-affect accelerator pedal but not a brake pedal. For a brake pedal the idea is to re-use the existing "on/off" accelerator pedal from the ride-on toy.

The "brake reduction module" from MLTOYS is just a big watt resistor. The kit will come with a brake relay and a few cheap brake resistors. When the brakes are applied, the brake relay connects (shorts) the motors together to cause a brake-affect. The amount of braking is tuned using the resistors, therefore you may or may not need the resistor from MLToys.
By JoeyNeedles
Hi, I have an F-150, that I was interested in installing the Stage IV Speed Motors/Gearboxes from MLToys.com. Can you tell me if I need to use one of ghe ESC systems with it. I contacted MLToys.com, and they told me the Stage IV Speed Motors/Gearboxes were a simple plug and play system, and all I needed to do was install those. I thought I had to have a Variable Speed Control Gas Peddle. Can I just drop these gear boxes in and be done? Thank you for any advice.
By FrostC60
They are just plug and play. The issue is if you dont get the kit mentioned above it will be full power on and immediate stop when the brake pedal is released. WHIP LASH if the child is young, but yes you can just drop them in. I can tell you the ESC Kit and the customer service at East Coast Powerups is amazing. I'm so glad I bought their kit, made everything a lot easier to install and understand. I bought the DIY kit and I've emailed them a few times and always get a response in a reasonable time.
By toycrusher
JoeyNeedles wrote:I was told I can just buy MLToys Brake Module, and it will do the same thing. Whatcha think?
http://www.mltoys.com/product-p/brake-reduction.htm

I would suggest you start reading this thread from the top ;) :lol:

A speed controller should be your FIRST mod, before trying upgraded motors. Gearboxes will eventually break (sometimes shockingly quickly!) when voltage is increased without using a speed controller.
By JoeyNeedles
Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge. I am new to all of this. My kids had a 12v, f150 & escalade, that I had hooked up with 24v batteries, and they loved them. Only problem was, they didnt last long. On both of them, 1 wheel stopped turning. I dont know if I stripped the gears out or what. Then They would put it in reverse, and it would just drive forward in low. So anyway, we bought new ones, and I dont want to ruin them. I just want to make them as fast as they can go with 24v, where they will last a while without any damage. What is the easiest & best way to do this, that will hold up the best? Thanks again, Joey
By Rob222
At 24v you need an ESC, new throttle, and brakes. If you stay with PowerWheels the aftermarket for stronger gears or gearboxes is there at MLToys. The install for the 24v ESC upgrade is not hard but the kit is nice especially for your first upgrade (or if you don't already have wire, connectors, relays,... on hand). A lot of information in the install video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvwjUESv50
ESC KIT ON EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192047346751
ESC AND LED Kits On Website: http://www.eastcoastpowerup.com/
By Safetybob
Just a few quick remarks.....the the controller from EastCoastPowerups is very nice and easy to install. He has taken the time to make the videos to help you through if you are unsure about what goes where.

I had to order a couple of 24 volt to 12 volt converters as they vibrated apart on my particular peg perego jeep. I just covered the part in RTV to keep the capacitors from moving about.

I used 3 resistors on my "braking" set up. On level ground it stops nicely, but not fast. I wished I would have spent the time and money on a real brake on one or both rear wheels. That way you have real brakes and they will hold on an incline and be just like mom and dad's car.

Going 24 volt and a speed controller made a cool battery powered ride on into something nobody has around here. Make sure and add lights!!

Bob E.

Original reply deleted. See below. ***UPDATE**[…]

I was very lucky to find a Mario Kart on craigsli[…]

Gaucho grande

Hello everyone. Does anyone have parts for Gauch[…]

I will arrange can we exchange information offline[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course