KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By WyldRyd
Has anyone out there made their own custom smart charger for multiple battery charging setups?

I stumbled across these on ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/332054949415
And thought to myself... you could build your own custom charging station with these and not be in the hole $150 for smart chargers as it would allow me me make my own. I am setting up a 3 battery system. 18v drive system: 12v , 6v for the motors then and additional 12v for leds and accessories. I am running them all through a 7 pole trailer light connector so that anyone can walk up and charge the Jeep. I just thought it would be cheaper and easier to buy so "dumb" chargers and then 3 of these and then I can build a little charging box with cooling fans and see voltages on all 3 batteries via the displays and also not be over charging my batteries.

Thought I would throw it out there as it seems like you guys have already done everything but my searches for a similar topic were un-fruitful.
Last edited by WyldRyd on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By wired
Not a bad idea but that board is DC-DC. I would look for an AC-DC board so you could use a wall outlet for input voltage. Otherwise you would have to still have to charge your input battery/batteries.
By WyldRyd
Yeah I hear ya... I haven't found anything like that yet. The dc to dc didn't kill it as I can buy a "dumb" dc battery charger and then have that flow into that board that then turns it into a "smart" charger. I can get 3 chargers and 3 boards for the cost of one smart charger....right? Or and I missing something in my thought process?
By wired
Amp output would probably be your only issue. There are ac to dc converters that could also be used. It's a good idea but be careful to read the output parameters of your components for both voltage and amperage. Using an ac to dc converter that you could connect to a wall outlet would basically give you all the output you would need to power your charge boards. To alleviate the math and potential overload you could either buy three converters or one large one. I don't know if your dumb charger would supply enough amperage. I would think it would have to be 15 amp or better to supply three boards. This also depends on what size battery you would be charging. I say go for it and break some ground. I look forward to hearing your results.
By WyldRyd
Wired,
Can you shoot me a link of a a.c. to dc converter that is 15+ amps that is reasonably priced so I can get an idea of what you are talking about? Everything I am seeing that is 15+ amps is north of $75 which is defeating my cost savings idea... hahaha
By wired
A desktop computer power supply should do the trick. A 450w power supply should be more than enough. They run less than $25. It's just a suggestion but use what you want and let us know if it works.

EDIT: here is the first one that popped up on ebay (output 30amp @12v):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Power-AGS450- ... SwpWVW8biz

You might be able to source one locally from an old desktop tower.
By WyldRyd
See I was thinking in my head of laptop power supplies and then the boards from eBay. So I would be all in for about $36 for 2 - 12 volt and 1 - 6v...

Average laptop supply is putting out over 2 amps and they are a dime a dozen... then the boards turn it into a smart charger that will float the battery after it reaches the target voltages that I get to set on it. Thus cheap smart charger! I hope anyways!

I will experiment and report my findings!
By WyldRyd
Well I wanted to drop an update to here to let you know that I decided to proceed and we will see what happens! I have received all the parts from the slow boat and will begin fabrication and construction on this charger soon. I am almost done with my fabrication on the Jeep and will be starting prep for paint soon. So when my arms, wrists and my hands need a break from sanding I will start working on the charger. First I want to bench test this a little bit and compare this set up with my Schumacher Charger set on 2amps and see if the board output compares to the Schumacher Charger via meter testing. Then if it does compare then step two will be a low battery charge test and see what the results are. But based on my math and previous knowledge I think this will work! More updates to come and I really hope it works as to allow people to build a 3 separate smart battery charger for under $30 would be a great cost saver for many!
By WyldRyd
Sorry that I have not updated this much lately. I am moving and we were not ready to move but the right house came up and we jumped at it. So everything BPROs got put on the back burner! I have done 1 bench test thus far and it worked. But I have not had a chance to test on a heavily depleted battery yet. I move in less than 2 weeks and the new place has a full shop so I will be back up and running fairly soon. Look for an update in about 3-4 weeks. Sorry on the delayed reply as well! I just have no free time at all. Kids, work, packing, repairs, updates etc... oh and sleep when there is time! So plenty of updates to come just have to wrap up this move first!
By WyldRyd
Well... the house and all the projects that came with it are finally slowing down and it looks like I will get to have some time to get my shop set up and start doing some more work on my Police Jeep for my son! Hope to have some more updates coming through in the coming weeks!

HI there Coopz. I'm from Italy so..forgive my engl[…]

Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

Sorry for the late response. So after the modifica[…]

Sounds like the switch. Pop it out and test with a[…]

The project is picking up pace. The 1" tubes […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course