KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
So I bought my son a Lightning McQueen for $15 from a garage sale and modified it immediately to 18volts by buying three 6-volt SLA 12AH batteries and wiring them in series. I also did the budget steering modification where I notched out the firewall by the steering column and removed the radius stops on the steering wheel. That was a big help with our 12-foot-wide driveway, which as McQueen owners will know isn't sufficient for doing a u-turn without a power slide.

My son had a good bit of fun with the 18v setup, but I decided to add a fourth 6v battery to see how things would go. He really enjoys it now, but after driving it for 10 minutes or so the motors will be so hot that they're uncomfortable to touch. I keep the seat only snapped into place, without the screws, so I can occasionally hand-monitor the motor temperatures. I limit his use of it to avoid melting the motors. I've instructed him to only start the car in slow gear, then shift to fast mode when he's already rolling, as I know how much stress is being placed on the gearbox. He only weighs about 37 pounds (and always wears a helmet when driving it), so perhaps his size is helping prolong longevity.

I've really enjoyed these forums since getting this McQueen back in early December (it was a Christmas present), and finally felt like I needed to chime in here. The car hasn't shown any signs of deterioration in the 3.5 months it's been in use, with a combination of brick driveway driving, grass driving and even some concrete sidewalk use, but I do expect since I'm really on the fringe of its capabilities based on what I've read in these forums, that it's going to start having issues unless I make some changes.

When I bought the car it didn't have a battery, so I really don't know what voltage it was originally set up for. It has two motors that I'm guessing are 500 series since that's what I've read about here, and I believe those motors are designed to handle 12 volts each, but welcome your input.

Things I'm planning to do to help the car out:
Install heat sinks with fans tied to their own 6v SLA battery mounted in the motor compartment.
Cut ventilation holes at the front and back of the motor compartment for cross-flow.
Install a simple LED temperature readout to monitor the motor temps without having to remove the seat.
Get a metal main gear for each gearbox, which I've seen talked about here and assume is the one that makes contact with the motor pinion.

Have any of you run a 24v setup with a pair of 500-series motors for any length of time? Will the above modifications give me reliable long-term use? Is there anything I'm missing? Finally, was I right in assuming I didn't need to make any adjustments to the wiring harness other than connecting more batteries to it?

OrlandoAlex wrote:So I bought my son a Lightning McQueen for $15 from a garage sale and modified it immediately to 18volts by buying three 6-volt SLA 12AH batteries and wiring them in series. I also did the budget steering modification where I notched out the firewall by the steering column and removed the radius stops on the steering wheel. That was a big help with our 12-foot-wide driveway, which as McQueen owners will know isn't sufficient for doing a u-turn without a power slide.

My son had a good bit of fun with the 18v setup, but I decided to add a fourth 6v battery to see how things would go. He really enjoys it now, but after driving it for 10 minutes or so the motors will be so hot that they're uncomfortable to touch. I keep the seat only snapped into place, without the screws, so I can occasionally hand-monitor the motor temperatures. I limit his use of it to avoid melting the motors. I've instructed him to only start the car in slow gear, then shift to fast mode when he's already rolling, as I know how much stress is being placed on the gearbox. He only weighs about 37 pounds (and always wears a helmet when driving it), so perhaps his size is helping prolong longevity.

I've really enjoyed these forums since getting this McQueen back in early December (it was a Christmas present), and finally felt like I needed to chime in here. The car hasn't shown any signs of deterioration in the 3.5 months it's been in use, with a combination of brick driveway driving, grass driving and even some concrete sidewalk use, but I do expect since I'm really on the fringe of its capabilities based on what I've read in these forums, that it's going to start having issues unless I make some changes.

When I bought the car it didn't have a battery, so I really don't know what voltage it was originally set up for. It has two motors that I'm guessing are 500 series since that's what I've read about here, and I believe those motors are designed to handle 12 volts each, but welcome your input.

Things I'm planning to do to help the car out:
Install heat sinks with fans tied to their own 6v SLA battery mounted in the motor compartment.
Cut ventilation holes at the front and back of the motor compartment for cross-flow.
Install a simple LED temperature readout to monitor the motor temps without having to remove the seat.
Get a metal main gear for each gearbox, which I've seen talked about here and assume is the one that makes contact with the motor pinion.

Have any of you run a 24v setup with a pair of 500-series motors for any length of time? Will the above modifications give me reliable long-term use? Is there anything I'm missing? Finally, was I right in assuming I didn't need to make any adjustments to the wiring harness other than connecting more batteries to it?
A stock setup will last a little while running direct like that with a light weight rider and no grass. A 24v ESC conversion is the way to go. No need to upgrade the motors or gearboxes, it's rare that anyone has any success with "upgraded" components.
Volts/ current regulator

Many thanks, I’m rubbish with electrics but […]

H4805 Linkage Help Part B7659-9419D

Hello, Looks like the steering linkage part numbe[…]

Electric Scooters

It's an old post but if still, anyone wants to kno[…]

rc power wheels conversion question

SOoOO im a complete noob at this. No real backrou[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course