KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By ajg72
I have a f150 for my son that I'm modding. I'm doing several lights,led strips.but I want to add a horn and real key switch. The lights will b on separate 12 v battery n horn included in that battery too. But key switch I want to be able to turn on n off the power wheels with the key. How do I wire the key switch to b able to do that n how do I also do the horn with relay. Can someone help me . Do I also need a relay for key switch? Also if anyone knows a easy way to also add a engine startup sound when u turn the key on??? Need a easy way to understand the wiring

By twisterdude1009
Hello!
First off, If you want to wire everything to a key switch I don't think it would work. Im still semi new so I could be wrong. I have only built one custom power wheels with the help of Toycrusher (Thanks again man you really helped me out). The reason I dont think it will work is because of the amp draw. I made the mistake just days ago running into my local auto store buying a toggle switch to run on the main line until I can order all the parts of my project. I was sick of having to disconect the battery to get the lights to cut off so I ran it all through one wire and a toggle. I didnt see that the toggle was rated for 15 amps. Needless to say it was a pain getting that toggle out after melting....
If you have dual motors at 12 volts those things can draw up to 20 amps alone if not more. But if you wanted to risk it (I wouldn't, if it overloads the power wheels will go slower and slower until it dies and it could catch fire even) You could get a wireless 20 Amp 12 volt kill switch.
The wiring would like roughly like this
Dont laugh at my wiring diagram, I said I was still new =p
Parts List for First Diagram.
Scosche 0400ATCFH16-5 ATC Fuse Holder
20 Amp Heavy Duty 12 Volt On/off Wireless Remote Control Switch
12V Car Red LED Momentary Speaker Push Button Metal Switch

The better way to do it would be to wire the second battery that will be powering your lights and horn to a key switch. Honestly if you are worried about someone stealing it, I dout a key switch will deter them. Just two snips and some tape and they have bypassed it.
Here is the wiring diagram.
Parts List for second diagram
Key Switch with 2 Keys
6-Way Blade Fuse Box
Insulated Battery Power Junction Post Block
12V Car Red LED Momentary Speaker Push Button Metal Switch

Like I said Im still new so maybe a more experienced person can pipe in on some information
By ajg72
Cjb,
So this diagram is if I want to have the lights and horn to one battery and the key switch to the main battery. I'm not having everything together
By twisterdude1009
CJB wrote:This will get you what you want.
output.png
Not as user friendly as twisters post, but electrically accurate.
Hey now! mine would have worked... just in a different way.
So you can use relays to off set the amp draw of the motors to the key switch? Highest rate amps on a key toggle switch was 10 amps for 12 volts that I could find.
Thats great! That solved a problem I thought I was gonna face with my jeep project.
By ajg72
Cjb,
So this diagram is if I want to have the lights and horn to one battery and the key switch to the main battery. also what number of fuse do I use for the key switch . And what number fuse for the lights and horn?
By ajg72
I meant does any relay works. I'm new at this . Also do y'all know any engine startup sound that can be easily put with key switch
By Suburbancharlie77
We'll I roused him, but he said his password wasn't working?

But he did offer this.
"MCM Electronics offers a momentary sound output programmable unit. Simplest option. You've probably seen it on the forum "programmable buzzer".

Radio Shack used to have some 9v sound units that were a decent cheap option, but the Mic recording the sounds sucks so you either deal with crummy sound or remove the Mic and add a different one or replace with usb"

I'll look for a link to it later

I want to upgrade the motors to 775 with at least […]

Magic Cars modifications

Hello everyone, did anyone have any success with m[…]

Volts/ current regulator

Many thanks again dude. Sorry to keep asking quest[…]

H4805 Linkage Help Part B7659-9419D

Hello all! Found the part through The Shop Vac No[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course