KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By BestStepMom
First off I would like to say I am an auto mechanic so Im not totally in the dark here. With that said my step son wants to go fast lol. I have never done upgrades to power wheels before but have seen many great videos of them. I have already decided I am going to be fixing his wheels up with some rubber ones cause the sound on the pavement is terrible. Still debating on lifting it. My question right now is how do I go about making it faster? It has a 12v 9.5 Ah power wheels battery in it now. I want thoughts and suggestions on how to upgrade to 24v battery. I have already seen that some people say depending on the model adding only 6v is a better idea. But there isn't much room in there to be adding batteries without cutting some of the plastic away on the sides of the inside. So I feel like a straight battery switch to something with more volts would be better. Thoughts? Actual battery suggestions as well please and keep in mind I am not made of money. Thank you!! :D
By wired
Unless you are going to install a full ESC upgrade I wouldn't advise going up to 24 volts. Things will break, especially if you add traction to the rear tires. An aftermarket 12v battery in series with a matching aftermarket 6v battery is the best way to go. Match the amp hour (Ah) rating of the batteries and install a fuse or breaker rated at 40amps. Sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries or Gel batteries can be mounted any position/orientation but upside down for fitment. 18v rides are fun and a great and easy way to start modding.
By grandpakenny
I am currently running two KFX, most recent models. I bought the ML Toy gear upgrades, originally for an older model KFX. They did not fit, so I bought two new ones. Only upgrading the one. Two Mighty Max batteries (12 or 15ah) fit under the seat, with a small modification. I had two 12ah to install, but I dropped one on the concrete floor, thought it was okay, but after 15 wonderful minutes of run time, it lost power. I put the batteries on chargers, the damaged one heated up, so I pulled it. I suspected there were issues, kept a close watch on it. So I have ordered a matched set of 15ah replacements, should have them in a couple of days.
I put the stock battery back in, so my grandson could ride 12v, with the 24v gears. It would shut off, wait about a minute then run again. I noticed it only did it in the grass, not the blacktop. It was stressing the battery, the thermal shut off shut it down. I put the good 12ah battery back in, wired in parallel with the stock. Fantastic. Runs like a champ, at least doubled the run time. I will use this setup for the one with stock gears, after I hook the new batteries up to the 24v gears.

The gears are an easy installation. For the batteries, I first removed the white bracket/carriage that drops the stock battery down. There is a shelf that holds the second battery. There are plastic pegs right and left, that are sockets for body screws. I snipped them off with heavy wire cutters, no change in body integrity. The shelf compartment is large. I put a Block of Styrofoam in the back to keep the battery slightly forward.
I wired a Battery Tender pigtail in right next to the stock battery plug, to recharge the battery with my 6amp Odyssey charger without having to remove the battery. Charge time is 3 or 4 hours. I used that same pigtail to hook up the second battery in parallel. I have to reverse polarity on the pigtail to switch from use, to charge.
The Battery Tender pigtails are $5, I use them everywhere.
HELLO!

THANK YOU FOR THE ADD! LOOKING TO BE ABLE TO ASK A[…]

Unibody Jeep Front End Sag

I did this on my Hurricane. I used a fairly long M[…]

I will have to look at the shifter when I get off […]

Upgrade BMW i8 Concept

If the 6v bat is stock it may have a built in fuse[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course