KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Turbo1002
I have been searching the forum looking for a drawing with no official results. How to wire three 6 volts batteries in series for run and parallel for 6 volt charging. Would like to make up two posts to connect the charger to and flip a switch. All the drawings I have seen show anywhere from one dpdt relay to six relays with diodes. None of them actually work. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Yeah, pretty complicated plus the charger can't really balance charge more than one battery when wired in parallel, it only sees average voltage of the batteries, not individual charge levels. It's also possible that if one battery dies, it would discharge the others.

Best route is individual charge ports for each battery and charge them one at a time (or 3 chargers to charge them at the same time). You could also have an 18v charger (hard to find but do exist) to charge the batteries in series and then do an individual balance charge from time to time
I'll take a shot at this. This uses a manual toggle switch, instead of relays.
81jeOEFQAkL._SL1500_.jpg
4PDT Toggle switch

6v-18v.gif
Click to view animation

This is an animated gif, doesn't seem to play in the preview though. For clarity, fuses have been omitted. If you plan to wire this up, make sure you have fuses on each battery.

The tricky part is finding a suitable 4PDT switch that can handle the current when running at 18V.

I found this switch on Amazon which handles up to 20A @ 125V, which should be good enough for this situation. (The typical SPDT bosch-type relays are usually rated for about 30A or so). I'm sure you can find similar switches on ebay as well. https://www.amazon.com/4PDT-Heavy-Duty-Toggle-Switch/dp/B001TJ6O9M

BTW, bosch automotive style 6V SPDT relays do exist, they're just harder to find and more expensive than the 12V versions:
http://www.newark.com/w/c/switches-relays/relays/automotive-relays?contact-configuration=spdt&coil-voltage=6vdc&st=automotive+relay

Hi All, I am new. I bought a dune racer to conver[…]

Am I too late?

I got a used Jeep Wrangler for the littlest one. […]

I would love a diagram for that as well! im search[…]

Reverse switch question

Yes you would have to push a button and hold it wh[…]

HobbyMasters