KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
Upgraded a Jeep to 24 volts. Have a 12 volt converter to power lights. Light set up is 6 white led's 2 red and string lights on under carragie. Lights worked well for 8 months. Last night I noticed that the lights were blinking on acceleration and sometimes just going out. I'm have opened up the dash and have the vehicle propped up. Can recreate but not sure how to debug. I pulled all the connectors tape off and looked for loose wires. All connections were sauldered before taping. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your time.,
Mark
Battery voltage is dropping during the high amp draw of acceleration. The LEDs have a minimum threshold of what voltage they will stay lit at. Your probably dropping to near or below that limit during acceleration.
I haven't tried using a step down converter yet, I've just been using small 12sla 4.5ah or less batteries to power my lights and accessories to prevent dimming or blinking of lights. It last for weeks and I just recharge it once in awhile when I think about it.
Bigmac41288b wrote:Battery voltage is dropping during the high amp draw of acceleration. The LEDs have a minimum threshold of what voltage they will stay lit at. Your probably dropping to near or below that limit during acceleration.
I haven't tried using a step down converter yet, I've just been using small 12sla 4.5ah or less batteries to power my lights and accessories to prevent dimming or blinking of lights. It last for weeks and I just recharge it once in awhile when I think about it.

+1
I looked up the specs for a typical small 24 to 12v step down and the input voltage range is as low as 12v.
That means the 24v battery setup would have to be dropping voltage below 12v on acceleration ( even with no load on a propped up vehicle) ?
I'm voting for a loose connection somewhere.

Specifications:
Input voltage: 24V DC
Input range: 12-40V DC
Output voltage: 12V DC
Output current: 20A (Max) / 240W
I would feel better about the surge theory if it didn't work fine for 8 months. I didn't upgrade the pedeal or the fwd/rev switch. Can that cause this type of issue?

If it's a loose wit do I just need to take it all apart and start from scratch or is there some way faster to find?

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Hello,
I do have but it's fancier then my skills ATM. I have a 21050T RMS ac/DC clamp meter. I used it to see what the surge was on accelerate. Also tried to see if there was so sugar on the light stuff. Didn't see anything that seemed out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Since your problem is only noticed when the vehicle is accelerating (high amp draw situation), it sounds like the battery/batteries may have weakened over the past eight months and either the input to the 12v converter is insufficient or the output from the converter is below LED voltage requirements. If you have two 12v batteries I would check them separately. A weak battery will fail under load. Charge them separately and check voltage after being removed from the charger for at least an hour. Checking connections is never a bad idea since these vehicles tend to shake and rattle so much during use.
Rob and Bigmac are giving sound advice.
Hello,
Thanks for the replies. Separately charging the batteries sounds like an eaisy first step. I have started that process. Also will read up on my meter and see if I can record a low dip. The idea of a secondary battery to drive the lights is doable too. Just hate that I did all the work on the converter and it stopped working.
What happens when you shake the car on the bench while it's on do the lights flicker? Measure the step down output on the bench and hit the accelerator to see if the step down output varies but it's possible the voltage could vary faster than the meter sampling. Step downs are cheap maybe if you have established the batteries are good from good performance and the wiring looks good just cut it out and replace it
6V battery replacement

Q: I want to use a 6v sla battery, can I cut the c[…]

Have the same problem with my grandsons truck. No […]

Ford F150 Raptor tire upgrade

Not quite following from the description and pics.[…]

I don't have anything written up on the homebrew c[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course