KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Hackish
With all the historical discussion of broken gears, I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of gutting the gearbox and swapping for a flat belt - v-belt or ribbed? With the fact you can even use 3D printers in libraries these days, I assume this should be pretty simple to produce. I might be tempted to wander around the local u-pick scrapyard and harvest some balance shaft belts from a few car engines. They usually come with nice cast aluminum pulleys.
By Hammer-fm
The big problem with that strategy with trying to reuse the factory motors/gearbox (or similar) is that you need pretty massive amounts of reduction to get the right speed & torque. The 16T/19T boxes are in the 120-150:1 range. A typical pulley arrangement would require 3 stages of reduction minimum to get there (at 5-6:1 each). 10mph on the average power wheels (13-14" tires) is going to be 250rpm. Most people that go to a "non-plastic-gearbox" are using larger scooter motors with 2500-3500 RPM no-load speeds and then a ~8:1 speed reduction (and are shooting for slightly correspondingly higher speeds).

You can buy lower-speed motors, but I haven't seen any in the standard footprints (550/775) that run at 3500RPM AND put out 5x the torque of the 15k RPM ones -- they're always lower power and not very well suited to that type of application.

I think you could build a 2-stage metal gear gearbox with some of the parts they sell for the competition robots, but you're talking about some fabrication. If I had a lot more time, 48-60V into 3 or 4 RS775 motors per gearbox, driving a 42:1 reduction would net a good 2-3HP per side (with appropriate batteries, of course) at 15-20mph, but at that point you really want a chassis that could keep up. And the only reason to do that is if you have a lot of cheap 775s (which I do...) -- otherwise, just get a scooter/winch/other large DC motor.
By Hackish
Interesting, I didn't realize there was such a big reduction, but it make sense. I'm coming from the industrial end where servo motors are 1000w+ and drive on 220v. These things cost thousands of dollars but can give huge torque output at low RPM. Maybe there is a gearhead motor that could fit the bill. The "jeep" I have is made by AMAV so it isn't the standard PW stuff. As a result, I haven't torn any of the parts down to look at them closely.

I came across this thing for free. It's awesome. N[…]

Since you haven't purchased it yet my suggestion i[…]

Below is a picture of the shifter with the screw i[…]

The shifter itself has two DPDT switches inside it[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course