KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Deschodt
My kid's modified 18V powerwheel stopped working, but this has me scratching my head..
I verified power at the gas pedal (18V - 12+6), and after the gas pedal 3 wires come out, Red+, black (grd) and orange (sharing a connector with Black). If I measure voltage there with a multimeter, I get 12/18V depending on how hard I press the pedal, so far so good ! Should work.

Now the speed selector (Reverse/Forward one wheel, FWD 2 wheel) is suspect and corroded, and the kid powerslides all the time, so I decided to bypass it altogether and have the car permanently on Faster mode (both motors forward). here's the rub;

If I connect the 6V battery to the motors at the wheel individually, they run.
If I connect both motors together (++/Grg grd), and wire them to a battery, they both run together...
If I connect them to the gas pedal wires, + to +, grd to black/orange (which I just verified have 18V with the gas pressed), nothing.... What...the..Hell ?
If I connect even only one motor to the gas pedal wires, same, nothing... How can I get 18V there confirmed by a meter, and no results at the wheels, while a direct battery connection to the wheel works ? Huh?
By toycrusher
The fact that you were getting fluctuating power between 12v and 18v says you have a bad connection inside the pedal switch. When you try to put an actual load through that switch, it just goes open. Change out the throttle pedal and you should be good to go.
By Deschodt
Thanks for your help.

Just so we are clear: I'm seeing a stable 18V out of the pedal if fully depressed.
I'm seeing less voltahe if it's partially depressed. I thoguht it was normal, that the pedal gave you more or less power, so it's just an on/off switch ???

If I get 18V constantly after the pedal (fully depressed) and connect those wires to a motor I get nothing.. Yet the battery to the motor makes it run... That's the baffling thing... The pedal could be defective when under load then ?
By wired
Yes, the pedal is a simple on/off switch. I'm assuming it's a stock powerwheel other than you adding the extra battery.
By toycrusher
Just to save some time in case the throttle pedal is not the entire problem, if you connect a single motor to the pedal and to ground, and then press the pedal down, you should be able to read 18v at the positive terminal of the motor and you should read 0v (or near 0) on the negative side of the motor. If you read 1v or more on the negative side of the motor, you have a bad connection somewhere on the ground side.
Unibody Jeep Front End Sag

I did this on my Hurricane. I used a fairly long M[…]

I will have to look at the shifter when I get off […]

Upgrade BMW i8 Concept

If the 6v bat is stock it may have a built in fuse[…]

Will do. You're next in line.

HobbyMasters Udemy Course