KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By d00mzDav3
Hello, I got a A lightning McQueen 12 all but it has no wiring I picked up some 12 gauge and a 12 V and 6v Battery, but I cannot get it to work right with the wiring. My question is, is lightning McQueen wired different? How should I wire it? Thank you
By wired
There are a few "Mcqueen" ride-ons out there. Depending on the make, model and/or manufacturer the wiring may differ. There is a "FAQs" section with plenty of wiring diagrams in it. Maybe the info you need is there.
By d00mzDav3
I’m getting no replies to anything I ask, but I keep blowing fuses after hooking up a 12 and 6v battery in series the the 12 volt McQueen powerwheels. Does somebody have a picture of that powerwheels wired(not the diagram) kids goin crazy.. please help
By wired
Let's get some more info and maybe we can figure this out.

Was there any problems before moving up to 18v?

How did you produce 18v? I.E Stock 12v battery plus aftermarket 6v battery? ETC...

Did you add any fuses in-line? Is it blowing a fuse or popping a stock breaker?

Does it blow fuse in all positions (fwd low, fwd high and rev?)

Have you checked your battery connections to make sure you aren't shorting out the batteries?

Can you post pictures of your mod?

The more details you can provide the better.
By wired
To keep thing a little better organized your multiple posts about the same problem have been merged. This will help keep all the info in the same place. After finding your original post you stated the car had no wiring. Is this correct? Did you rewire the entire car? The post I replied to just stated you are blowing fuses after modding up to 18v. What is the whole background? It is going to be hard to figure this out without knowing the whole situation.
By d00mzDav3
it was working with the powerwheels battery but that battery died and the wires were all taken off when I got it. I know the last owner already so I know it was working. Now I have a 12 and 6 SLA batteries that are brand new, and fully charged. As soon as I hit the pedal button dude blows. They’re inline and running 1 30amp to each battery
By d00mzDav3
it was working with the powerwheels battery but that battery died and the wires were all taken off when I got it. I know the last owner already so I know it was working. Now I have a 12 and 6 SLA batteries that are brand new, and fully charged. As soon as I hit the pedal button dude blows. They’re inline and running 1 30amp to each battery
By d00mzDav3
Yea the wires were not salvageable when I got it, it’s kind of a chaotic mess of whites noe that aren’t color coded so I dunno if that’ll help much..I’m just trying to see if it’s in working order, then I was gonna order OEM stuff.
By wired
d00mzDav3 wrote:Yea the wires were not salvageable when I got it, it’s kind of a chaotic mess of whites noe that aren’t color coded so I dunno if that’ll help much..I’m just trying to see if it’s in working order, then I was gonna order OEM stuff.

What wiring was replaced? Just the wires to the battery plug or the whole harness? Help me out here.
By d00mzDav3
everthing, the car was pretty much naked as far buttocks wiring goes I don't have a pic right now heres me trying to draw it though..
[img]/Users/dh73/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/proxies/derivatives/04/00/420/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_420.jpg/img]
By wired
It's hard to tell from the pic but I think your pedal switch is wired wrong. Can you post a solo pic of your schematic (the one in bottom of collage)? If you have a pic of actual pedal switch wiring that might help too.
By d00mzDav3
How should it be wired? I have the white separate spot goin to 12+ The middle going from middle bottom of the F/R plug and the bottom from the top left of the F/R plug
By d00mzDav3
I am happy to help but am short on time during the holidays. We have already proven that it's not how you have your batteries set up by using just the 12v battery. Make the circuit smaller until you find the short. If your fuse is blowing as soon as you hit the pedal( with the shifter in any position) then you have a direct short between your common wire on your pedal switch and your normally open wire on the pedal switch. I need to pull a harness and shifter out to double check how you have your switches mounted. Did you ever remove the switches from the shifter assembly during your rewire? Please copy and paste this message back in the forum when you reply.
By d00mzDav3
Yea I did take off the switches to clean them. I got a 40 amp fuse and that is blowing too. It has to be wired wrong right? Especially since it’s blowing with just the 12v
By wired
Yeah something isn't wired right in the harness. We just need to figure out where. Easy right? Internet troubleshooting isn't the fastest way to get this done but hopefully we can knock it out. Any chance you got one of the shifter switches flipped upside down when you re-installed? Put an ohm meter in your pedal switch connector between the common and normally open contacts. It should show your short (with a good fuse installed). You can start there for troubleshooting. Make circuit smaller until short goes away. I would pop the switches out of the shifter housing to make sure they aren't in the wrong position/orientation. Let's try to get this fixed before Monday. Worst case scenario is you buy a replacement harness. They're not expensive.
By d00mzDav3
I bought a new shifter that came with switches, and I bought a new throttle switch.they sent me the mustang shifter instead of McQueen but they said it Will work. Is the lightning McQueen switch set up different than the standard?
By wired
Sorry for late reply. Couldn't get the site to log me on. Yes, The shifter setups are all the same as far as switches go.

Awesome, you are making good headway. Does the one wheel that spin change speeds when you go from low to high?
By wired
So the one wheel continues to spin but the other one spins for a sec and quits or they both quit? Does this happen in all shifter positions? Please be descriptive.
By wired
Stock motors can be run at 18v. Would it help you if I took a few pics of some stock wiring to the switches? Have you tried jumping 12v straight to the motors to make sure they are good?
By wired
but do the motors turn when you jumper voltage straight to them? And if they do turn do they run full speed?
By wired
Disconnect at least one of the wires to the motor from the switch(s) and try to jump 12v directly to the motor again.
By wired
These are pics of a mustang harness. They are the same except the extra small plug coming from the battery and pedal switch for the power meter (it's hidden in the picture behind the pedal switch to avoid confusion).

20171205_085543.jpg
20171205_085523.jpg
20171205_085519.jpg
20171205_085509.jpg
20171205_085439.jpg
By wired
It looks like your top switch connector may be installed upside down. Hard to tell from the pics you posted but the jumper looks upside down. I can't see the rest of the wiring clear enough.
By wired
Yes but you have removed the connector and now have just spade terminals. It looks like they are 180 degrees out and are connected basically upside down. It's the same as if you still had a connector and flipped it when reconnecting to the actual switch. Look at the jumper on your top/fwd switch and compare it to the photos I posted. It's backwards. It would be the same if you removed the switch, flipped it upside down and then reinstalled it. This could be your problem.
By wired
I cant make out your wiring from the pics. I suggest removing the wires from the switches and start over. Use the pics i posted as a blueprint.
Jeep Hurricane Radio

I looked in the battery compartment and didn't see[…]

This is my gooseneck trailer I made for my son. He[…]

Traction for Peg Perego RZR 900

I just got one for my kids and would like to add s[…]

Since the first four alpha numeric digits are the[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course