KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
I'm trying to decide between the 600A and the CR1.

I sent some questions over to their customer support, but they don't seem to be too good with reading the whole e-mail and haven't really answered my questions.

I realize that the CR1 isn't as flexible because of the proprietary tips it has. I was thinking of maybe getting the 600A and splicing a Power Wheels 12V harness tip on it so I can charge my stock battery.

I was trying to determine which charger was more efficient (i.e. quicker) and/or safer than the other.

The only thing I got back from Schumacher was:

"As the 600A has a charging amperage of up to 6AMPS this would be a faster charger for your battery.."

However the manual for the CR1[/url] discusses a "quick charge" option and I could swear I read some review somewhere talking about charging the battery to 80% in like 30 minutes.

Can anyone provide any guidance on which one will actually charge the batteries quickest while also allowing me to keep them plugged in indefinitely (float).

thanks!
If your sole purpose for the charger is charging stock power wheel battery then get the CR1. Else get the 600A and you can use it for other things beside power wheel battery. I would try getting the battery connector and create your own charging harness route. This might be an item for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Wheels-Male-12v-Battery-Connector-Vehicle-Charger-Side/282723829797?epid=1372248652&hash=item41d3a74825:g:MNMAAOSwmNlZY2zp

As for quick charge, don't abuse this too much since it will hurt the battery in the long run. I normally charge mine using 1/3 the amp rating (i.e. stock 9.5ah would charge at 3ah at most - 2ah would be ideal i believe)
lexx0116 wrote:If your sole purpose for the charger is charging stock power wheel battery then get the CR1. Else get the 600A and you can use it for other things beside power wheel battery. I would try getting the battery connector and create your own charging harness route. This might be an item for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Wheels-Male-12v-Battery-Connector-Vehicle-Charger-Side/282723829797?epid=1372248652&hash=item41d3a74825:g:MNMAAOSwmNlZY2zp

As for quick charge, don't abuse this too much since it will hurt the battery in the long run. I normally charge mine using 1/3 the amp rating (i.e. stock 9.5ah would charge at 3ah at most - 2ah would be ideal i believe)

Yes these were my thoughts...as I mention using the 600A and creating a harness in the OP.

The manual for the CR1 says to only use the quick charge 2-3 times before doing a full charge - even so, will it damage the battery over the long haul?

My guess is the CR1 uses a higher amperage for the quick charge, but only charges to 80% to avoid a possible overcharge scenario?

If I use the 600A, but only charge at 2A, then isn't Schumacher's statement:
"As the 600A has a charging amperage of up to 6AMPS this would be a faster charger for your battery.."
kind of not true?

After all if I charge it as the full 6A, wouldn't that be a problem?

I'm leaning towards the 600A because of the flexibility, but I'm still technically curious how the two relate.
Seemingly, couldn't I charge at 3-4A using the 600A to simulate a "quick charge"?

I'm interested in what charging at a higher amperage actually does to the battery and if the CR1 is designed (if you use the quick charge) that it really will lessen battery longevity?

thanks!
The 600A i think has the option to select the amp for charging (2/4/6A) so if you select lower amp then the charging time will be longer than if you would choose 6A. You can charge at 6A but at the end of the day, you would do a slow charge overnight so the battery can be full full. I guess with just only 1 battery, 6A charging will be quick but if you have multiple batteries and you parallel charging them then 6A charging will not be 6A really but instead it will distributed evenly across the batteries. For example, if you have 3 batteries hook up to the 600A then charging at 6A will actually be charging 2A for each of the 3 batteries so the quick charge is gone if you do this. To save battery life and quicker turn around time for your kid to ride their cars, I would recommend buying more batteries for backup so if one battery is out, you can put in the backup one and charge the used one while the kid is running with the backup one. That's what I do now for my kid dune racers. I use aftermarket batteries which cost way less than stock so I can afford buying 2 12v 12ah batteries for the price of 1 stock 9.5ah battery (maybe even lesser). FWIW, I have 3 stock batteries and after 1 yr or so of usage using the stock charger, 2 out of the 3 are about to die and keep in mind that the stock charger ah is <= 1ah.
lexx0116 wrote:The 600A i think has the option to select the amp for charging (2/4/6A) so if you select lower amp then the charging time will be longer than if you would choose 6A. You can charge at 6A but at the end of the day, you would do a slow charge overnight so the battery can be full full.

I guess I'm still confused about this...will charging at 6A hurt the battery over the long term or no?
Might I add that I have now about 10-12 BPROs and some have the old battery still in them that has to be years old. They were in them when I got them 1-2yrs ago and I the first thing I did was ck the voltage, if it was 0 to 7-8 volts, I hooked up my small automotive charger with 2amp rate. After a couple of hours, I then connected my BATTERYMINDER to it that has the desulfator mode built into it. After overnight usually, the indicator light is flashing and in maintenance mode. After a day or two, I have had close to 13v on all but 1 of these old batteries. I have several of the Schumacher chargers I usually use, and maintain 4-6 batteries at a time, never know what their gonna jump on! About every other week I use the BATTERYMINDER overnight. The money I've saved using this has paid for the $140. northern tools sells them for, (although I only pd $25. for it at a discount store that gets returns!) I've used it for 12v car batteries and loaned it out to multiple friends at work to bring back their auto batteries!

Hi, I just bought a second-hand Audi R8 for my so[…]

Power Wheels Jeep 4x4

Love your project! Have a Jeep myself that I am lo[…]

Exploding Controllers

Yeah... so red to red and black to black right....[…]

"Best" Choice JEEP

Thanks man! Looking into it now!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course