KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
So i stumped upon an issue that i am not sure what the cause of it. I have CJB turbo board installed, but I think even without the board being on, this issue is still there for me. My kid dune racer was recently working fine until one day only 1 wheel is spinning on hi speed. I check low and reverse and confirm that both wheels spin fine at those except for hi speed. Any idea here? I think I might have a shifter problem. Since 12v to 18v conversion, I have been using CJB board to ease off the 18v start. I wonder if I just use the dune racer without the board and just run at 18v constant with the banebot motors without worry about breaking the gearbox much.
Yeah, that sounds simply like the 1st-2nd gear shifter switch has one side that doesn't make contact (one throw of one pole is defective). In this case, the motor that isn't spinning is missing either its ground connection OR its power connection (one motor has the - connected to the switch; the other has the + connected). Replace that switch and you should be good to go.

As for whether running straight 18V with the Banebots is a good idea ... I'd be at least a bit concerned, as the force at the tip of the 1st gear is going to be ~3x that of the stock motor ( 1200mNm torque for the Banebots @ stall vs. ~400 stock ) . You only see ~800mNm with the 12V start. Using the board certainly makes this less likely to break at the start.
agreed, sounds like you have a bad pole on the shifter.

Option 1: Replace just the hi dipswitch - Its super cheap(~$4) but a bit time consuming as you have to disassemble the shifter. A lot of the the time the contacts just get carboned up and need to be cleaned.

Option 2: replace the whole shifter - Super easy and quick, but a little more expensive (~$30)

I'm running 18v on my dune racer without issues on gearing, going on 2 years now(knock on wood). I have rubber rear tires, but my kids are both under 40lbs and 95% of the riding and takeoffs happen on grass. Only time you really run into gearbox damage is with heavier riders and/or rubber traction adds on hard surfaces. Lighter kids on plastic wheels will just spin off the torque before transmitting it to the gear box. If you are concerned though its not htat expensive to just upgrade the gearboxes, mltoys has a few options based on budget and technical skill.
Dune racer batman 24 volt help

Thanks Wesley -- good point that not everyone want[…]

Thanks

powerwheels Bigfoot

Not metal frame. Needs wiring replaced. Melted fr[…]

I'm not sure about the others, but I run what I us[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course