KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By jacqeez
Hi,

I posted in general discussion but realized this probably belongs here. I have a sportsman 700 that hasn’t been ridden for years and it doesn’t run. i got a new battery and pedal switch since it seamed to be the most common issue. Nothing changed. I took apart the shift assembley and cleaned the busbar connectors and I got it to
Move but not for long. It constantly trips the circuit breaker, any thoughts on where to look next?
Last edited by jacqeez on Mon May 14, 2018 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
By jacqeez
Hi All,

So I’ve been reading and much as possible and I have cleaned a bunch of connectors. I got it to move around the yard a bit before stopping but still essentially the same issue. I read about pulling out the circuit breaker in the shift assembly and replacing it with a jumper but I’m not quite sure how to pull this off. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction. I know how to get to the circuit breaker and remove it just not sure how to make a jumper, or can I buy something that will fit in there?
By jacqeez
Anyone? Thinking about opening the circuit breaker it possible and turning that into a jumper so I can just easily plug it back in. Not sure if its possible though. Any help on the jumper would be huge, thanks.
By wired
Wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the mod you're trying and bypassing overcurrent protection (fuses/breakers) could be dangerous. Some breakers become weak and trip prematurely. Can you install a 30/40 amp fuse in it's place and retry?
By jacqeez
Thanks for the reply. And that’s exactly what my next step is. From what I read a jumper would be safe to use instead of the circuit breaker in the shift assembly since the battery also has a circuit breaker. I’m not sure how to pull it off so I grabbed a new circuit breaker and fuse, I will try both of them and see if I have any luck. If that doesn’t work I am debating on going for a whole new harness or new motors. If that doesn’t do it then I will officially give up
By wired
Yes, as long as there is a fuse in the circuit somewhere you should be good to go. If replacing the breaker/fuse doesn't fix it then it's time to troubleshoot. Something is causing the overcurrent at that point and would need to be troubleshot and fixed. Hang in there and remember to try an not over think it. Sometimes it's something simple and easy to fix.
By jacqeez
Ok so tried a fuse then the circuit breaker started popping at the battery. Decided to pony up the money and get a new harness, the new HLR style, so all the wiring in the atv has been replaced and it still pops, almost quicker than before somehow. Can the motors really be causing it? Only thing left to replace at this point. Everything else has been replaced I think.
By wired
You can test the motors by applying 12v straight from the battery to the motor tabs. Doesn't matter which motor tab you connect positive or negative to. The motors run in both directions.
Make sure you can turn the wheels by hand with no battery power applied. Both sides should feel the same resistance. Listen for popping or grinding of the gearbox. Check for bent axle. Check for string or weeds wrapped around axle at gearbox.
By jacqeez
So there is a lot of resistance when just spinning the wheel freely compared to a power wheels Kawasaki kfx. Like night and day but not sure if that’s normal for this
By dlgg7
Thinking what I'd do now, have you wired a meter to ck current flow through the connection? See what each motors' pulling in amps when you jump battery to it. If your drawing over the current rating for the fuse, or breaker, it's either the gearbox, or old motor. Honestly, motors and for that matter, gearboxs are easy to replace cheaply!

Another option to consider for the future... De[…]

Dune racer batman 24 volt help

Thanks Wesley -- good point that not everyone want[…]

Thanks

powerwheels Bigfoot

Not metal frame. Needs wiring replaced. Melted fr[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course