KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By IWontPanic
I'm planning on modding an F-150 Powerwheels truck to Arduino driven electronic controls for both speed and steering. I'm a software engineer so programming the Arduino isn't a concern, but the I have to admit I'm out of my comfort zone with wiring and electronics. I could use any input on the wiring of this project. If I'm wiring something wrong, or should be using other/different components - suggestions are welcome!

I've been reading these forums for days, and been all over the internet. I think I have a reasonable idea of a workable plan together and would like to get some feedback/input from more experienced modders, especially those with some electronics know how.

I want to have both analog driver inputs (steering wheel + gas pedal) as well as digital RC inputs which will act "Daddy override" in the arduino who will be acting as the mediator.

The F150 I have is driven by 2 Fisher Price part 00968-9015 motors. From what I can find on the internet they are 12v DC brushed motors which others' tests show them to run @ 1.25amps with no load, and 70 amps during stall.

The motor controller I'm looking at is the Dual Motor Controller from ServoCity. In Dual mode Channel 1 acts in station keeping mode for a linear actuator with potentiometer based position sensor. https://www.servocity.com/actoboticsr-d ... -assembled

The Linear actuators available from ServoCity look like they would do the job nicely. I was thinking this one:https://www.servocity.com/hda4-2

Right now I have 2 SLA batteries hooked up in parallel and would prefer to keep it that way as long as it's still appropriate given the new electronics.

I have a foot pedal 1-20kohm variable resistor, and 20k potentiometer for the accelerator/steering wheel.

I haven't settles on RC parts yet, but they should be fairly simple to plug and play with the right setup otherwise.

Here's what I'm thinking:

By IWontPanic
Note that diagram shows the accelerator as a potentiometer, but it should actually just be a variable resistor, so I'll need to wire up a ~10kohm resistor and make a ohm-tester circuit to read it.
By Rob222
A potentiometer is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider. If only two terminals are used, one end and the wiper, it acts as a variable resistor (Wikipedia).

Nice! Looking to follow suit. Any chance you could[…]

Hello everyone. I know I need new screws and that[…]

G'day - so I've started on all of this before disc[…]

Ok, just checked troubleshooting and I think the s[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course