KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
I have a couple Peg Perego Gator's. One has this battery:

And this Charger

I cannot get the battery to charge. The light on the charger does not come on at all when plugged in.

I recently acquired another Gator. This is it's battery:

And Charger:

So first of all, I think this is not the correct Charger. It's a newer Gator than my old one. But I think this charger is not the correct one. It appears to charge the battery but the battery output in the Gator is pretty weak. Feels like it's 1/2 of what it should be. So either the battery is not charging well or the charger is not putting out enough because it's incorrect.

So I guess my questions are, how do I determine what is good and what is bad between all these things? I tried for example to hook a multimeter up to the chargers while they are plugged in but it doesn't say it is putting out any voltage. So does that mean the charger is bad?

What can I do to test these things to determine what needs replaced?

Thanks,

Its most likely the battery. They age and loose performance, thats the nature of the beast. Chargers either work or they don't. Even an under sized charger(ie low amps) will still charge a battery to full, it will just take longer. So as long as its outputting 12v, then the charger is fine.

Time for a new battery, and I'd highly suggest going the standard sla route and converting over your connectors to spades. They you can use a regular battery charger with a higher amperage rate to charge those suckers up quicker.

Just an FYI you can't test most chargers simply by hooking up a volt meter. They need to detect a load in order to 'turn on'.
Ah okay thank you. What do you mean standard sla route and converting the connectors? Do you have more information about this?

If I keep these batteries charged up consistently, will they still loose their charge? What if I keep a trickle charger on them?

Thanks,
SLA are sealed lead acid batteries. You can grab them from gruberpower on here or from amazon for around $30-40. You'll need to cut off the proprietary connectors from the vehicle and install spade terminals in their place so you can connect the wires to the batteries.
Back again... With another Beetle...

My 5 year old talked me into dragging this free Be[…]

I think that you could do with a few pics to drive[…]

Recharge a half drained battery?

There are a wide assortment of the best car batter[…]

Have you done any testing of voltages at various p[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course