KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By bjfisher
Looking for some troubleshooting help with an old JD Gator. Couple things that I have done already:
  • Battery has ~13v on it
  • wired batteries directly to motors and they run, wheels rotate
  • When the accelerator is pressed, I get 13v when I measure from the white wire leaving the pedal to the blue wire going back to the battery
  • I already replaced the shifter with a new one, still doesnt work
Something interesting that I noticed when measuring voltage for troubleshooting. If I remove the 25A thermal protector from the wiring harness, hold down the accelerator, I get ~13v from the blue wire going back to the motor across all of the other wires going to the motors. I feel like this tells me that these parts are getting voltage. I put that thermal resistor back in place, I don't get any voltage across the same wires that I just measured; accept directly from red to blue across the motor. Does this mean I have a bad thermal protector? If not, are there other areas you recommend I check voltage to help with troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

By CJB
I don't remember which wire colors are which but you can replace the thermal breaker with a 30A fuse to ease your trouble shooting. Also always be suspicious of that buss bar the shifter plugs into.

Best bet is to isolate one mechanical potential point of failure at a time and work your way down the line.
By bjfisher
I tried the 30A fuse, didnt change anything. I hooked the motors up to the battery directly again to confirm the motors worked. I get voltage through the foot pedal, so I am fairly confident that works. I just replaced the shifter, so I trust that works. I am pretty much down to the wiring harness. Anybody know where you can get a new wiring harness for the 12 pin JD Gators?

I just bought a used power wheels dune buggy thing[…]

Looking through options for fixing up a Lil F150,[…]

3B Gearbox on 12v?

So guys what about a 12V to 6V step down converter[…]

Repair Question

You can connect a 12v battery straight to the tab[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course