KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By Caligrl8983
Hi! I’m new here. I found this forum when I started having trouble with my sons’ stock F-150 power wheels. I searched yesterday and couldn’t find much relating to my possible issues, so I apologize if it’s already here.

We got the truck in March of 2017 and haven’t had issues until recently. I know I’ve forgotten the battery on the stock charger a few times 🙈 and it would die sooner than normal, but still kept charger and working. Sometimes it would stop like it was dead, but we’d wait a few seconds and try again, and it went on as normal. A few weeks ago, I charged the battery, making sure to keep an eye on how long it’d been charging. After about 10 hours, i took it off the charger, then I plugged it in the next day and there’s absolutely nothing; no movement, no noise that indicates it’s trying. It’s the same effect as having no battery plugged in.

We got a brand new battery a few days ago, I left it on the stock charger for the recommended 18 hours for the first charge and took it off the day before yesterday. Yesterday, I plugged it into the truck, and still absolutely nothing.

My question is, how likely that my problem is the stock charger being no good anymore and that battery not having even gotten a charge?

I’m getting a volt meter today to check, but I’m unsure on how to use it (where to place the pos/neg on the wires) or where to even start, constant checking all down the wires? How do I check the battery/charger when the charger is plugged into the battery to see if anything’s happening?

Please explain this to me in extreme layman’s terms. I’m good at following directions, but I have no clue about wiring, electrical, currents, etc.

Thank you!

By 04SilveradoHD
First I would check your batteries and make sure they are charged at all. 12 volts plus. If they are then we need to inspect the ride itself. I am assuming this is the 12 volt 2 seater model with the power wheel gray battery
By Caligrl8983
04SilveradoHD wrote:First I would check your batteries and make sure they are charged at all. 12 volts plus. If they are then we need to inspect the ride itself. I am assuming this is the 12 volt 2 seater model with the power wheel gray battery
Yes, sorry I didn’t clarify. 2 seater blue f-150 with a grey/grey top 12v battery. I just got home with a multimeter, so I’m getting ready to check it here in just a few. Do you happen to know if I need to check the battery and charger while they’re plugged in (I’m already going to check them both separately) and if so, how/where I do that?

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by Caligrl8983 on Mon May 20, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Caligrl8983
04SilveradoHD wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:56 am Check battery voltage by itself
Ok, so the batteries are both good. The old one is measuring 12.9v and the new one is 13.16v. The charger is measuring at 13.75v.

Should I plug the batteries into the truck to test with the pedal pushed in? If so, where do I put the probes?
By Caligrl8983
**Update*

I was trying to test the wires of the pedal by touching the orange and red wires together to bypass the switch; nothing happened (not sure if i did it wrong. I used a YouTube tutorial 😬). I accidentally touched the red wire to the white while moving around, and it sparked, so there’s some current from the battery to the pedal via the positive wire from the battery plug. Good thing? Bad thing? I’m not sure where to go from here/what to test next, or how.
By Caligrl8983
04SilveradoHD wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm have you tried moving the shifter into a different position and see if anything works?
I’ve tried high, low, and reverse. Absolutely nothing at all.
By M.L.Toys
Either the foot pedal assembly is no good or both of the batteries have gone bad. A volt meter reading isn't a definitive test of a battery. It needs to be load tested. Autozone and Batteries Plus do it free. Free free free.
By Caligrl8983
M.L.Toys wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 pm Either the foot pedal assembly is no good or both of the batteries have gone bad. A volt meter reading isn't a definitive test of a battery. It needs to be load tested. Autozone and Batteries Plus do it free. Free free free.
The foot assembly or the pedal switch? There was power in the white wire, but nothing happened when i touched the orange and red wires together. If it is the pedal switch/pedal assembly, I could just buy a new one to replace it and it should work?

How do I accurately test those 3 wires to see if it has power getting to it but not leaving? I have no idea how to check the throttle/shifter wires. Lol
By M.L.Toys
If you have 12v coming out of a battery but no voltage measured at either motor when you push the foot pedal then the foot pedal switch is bad. If you have voltage at the motors but the car doesn't move then either the battery is bad or both motors are bad.
By Caligrl8983
M.L.Toys wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 pm If you have 12v coming out of a battery but no voltage measured at either motor when you push the foot pedal then the foot pedal switch is bad. If you have voltage at the motors but the car doesn't move then either the battery is bad or both motors are bad.
I haven’t taken it apart to get to the motors yet, so I’m not sure about that part.

If anyone has time and feels like it, would someone tell me which wires to test where, kinda “wiring for dummies” style? There’s so many different color wires and wires going every which way, I’m overwhelmed. I don’t even know what the colors mean or what they do. I see red, white, black, orange, and a lighter blue.

When I’m testing these places, I’m assuming I need the pedal pushed down to get a correct reading. Is that right?
By 04SilveradoHD
sounds like a bad foot pedal switch. At the foot pedal switch wiring. Use a jumper wire and jump from the hot white wire to one of the other wires (used to know which one you need to touch but have not had to check one in a while. Think it's the bottom wire in the plug. Try this with the back wheels off the ground. If it works you have found your issue.
By wired
Hey Caligrl8983,
Welcome to the madness. I would definitely check the pedal switch and it's connections. Here's a drawing showing the pedal switch wiring (outer pics on bottom of attachment for your power wheel). Check for a corroded terminal at the pedal switch while you are there. It's common for them to corrode and /or break at the pedal switch (especially if they have been exposed to water). Hope this helps and have a happy and safe Memorial day weekend. :)
Attachments
power wheel pedal switch wiring.gif
power wheel pedal switch wiring.gif (25.87 KiB) Viewed 290 times

I just bought a used power wheels dune buggy thing[…]

Looking through options for fixing up a Lil F150,[…]

3B Gearbox on 12v?

So guys what about a 12V to 6V step down converter[…]

Repair Question

You can connect a 12v battery straight to the tab[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course