Kids Wheels specializes in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines

Return to Batteries / Electrical

Dual 6 Volt wiring help...

Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?

Dual 6 Volt wiring help...

Postby mrmahone » Thu May 19, 2011 11:35 am

I appreciate any help I can get.... I am looking to use the wiring diagram on the left (I really want the low speed reverse), but am a bit confused. Where can I tap into a hot 12 volt wire to add a remote kill switch/key switch/terminal block on this diagram? Thanks alot!
PW-Wiring-1.jpg
mrmahone

Re: Dual 6 Volt wiring help...

Postby jparthum » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Both of those diagrams have HIGH/LOW/REVERSE, the difference is that the left one switches the batteries between Series and Parallel, while the right one switches the motors. The left is the factory wiring configuration found on very early model 12V Power Wheels, and the right one is found on newer models.

Using the left diagram, you would have no permanent 12V tap :( . But if your vehicle has the left wiring configuration, you could 'flip it' using Taz's method 8-) ...?
'Protection' and 'Oppression' are synonymous.

jparthum
Administrator

Postby mrmahone » Fri May 20, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks for that diagram and reply! So looking at the flip method, it appears that the hi/low/reverse is still present, and reverse will be low speed? I love it if that is how it works! Seems like the benefit of going to one 12V battery and maintain a h/l/r with low speed reverse is the way to go.
mrmahone

Postby taz11 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:31 am

The variations in the harnesses of the old vehicles may leave you with low reverse, hi reverse, or hi and low reverse. It all depends on you shifter/switch configuration and the wires on the fwd/ reverse plug. Your other option is to use an additional low ah 12 volt battery to power your remote kill.
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!..........Out of somebody's garbage

I'm trying to get out of PWs.........That idea's not working out real well......

My time on MPW is limited these days. I'm trying to check in everyday.....please be patient when awaiting responses.

http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M7-RS775-18
taz11
Administrator

Location: Bloomsbury, NJ Advanced Modder- 3739 Archived Posts

Postby mrmahone » Fri May 20, 2011 7:44 am

So Taz, if I were to just rewire the entire harness using the harness flip method, (this is a Lil Wrangler) would that ensure the low/high forward speeds, and low reverse? I'd like to rewire it with 12 gauge wire anyhow, the stock wires are a little small and getting kind of brittle. Thanks for all the help, I promise to post pictures once I get underway on this project.
mrmahone

Postby taz11 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 am

The harness on the left will give you reverse on high only. The harness on the right will give you reverse on hi and low. I would use the one on the right. You can also use this one with a single 12 volt.

If hi reverse is a concern you could:

1) Use a HLR shifter out of a full size PW
2) Mount the two switches next to each other and use a "cross plate" to automaticly put it in low when reverse is selected. (peg used this for years. I'll draw you a diagram.

I'm trying to get out of PWs.........That idea's not working out real well......

My time on MPW is limited these days. I'm trying to check in everyday.....please be patient when awaiting responses.

taz11
Administrator

Postby taz11 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:51 am

manual low switch.JPG

Selecting reverse forces it into low, selecting hi forces it into forward.

taz11
Administrator

Postby mrmahone » Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 am

Great, thanks Taz! This is very helpful, now if I can land an extra 3A gearbox and motor this Jeep will be on the road, then onto a Mustang hopefully......
mrmahone

Postby summbear48 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 am

picked up an extreme machine on CL for $25! I am stoked, wife, not so much...

it has newer dual 6v wiring harness with just a jumper between the batteries instead of 4 wires. So based on the forums, I just clipped the wire to install a 12v battery.

I didnt check BEFORE I did this, bc I didnt have 2 6v batteries, but now, HI will work but low (I presume the middle selection with shifter) and reverse arent working.

something I did? next bet is the switches but just wondering if anyone else had this prob and if there is an "easy" fix. HA!
summbear48
Jeep Jacker

Postby taz11 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

Hi/low switch.

taz11
Administrator

Postby summbear48 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

taz11 wrote:Hi/low switch.

so we were just driving it around and all of a sudden it started going like twice as fast (even though we didnt shift the gear) so I tried the low and reverse and shabang it works. sweet. it works now. needs a little TLC but pretty sweet for 25 bucks. my wife likes the roll cage. :-) thanks taz.
summbear48
Jeep Jacker

Postby robertcow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Will this method work on any dual 6 volt vehicle, my son was just given a "Power Drivers" 12 volt jeep with dead batteries and would like to upgrade to one single 12 volt battery and retrain hi/low, forward reverse.
robertcow

Return to Batteries / Electrical