KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By lawman
Ok so i wanna bump this one up to 18 Volts. I no there is no lock-out plug on this one like my NInja Quad. So where do i wire in the 6 volt battery im gonna use. After shifter or before any one got a pic or drawing on this? Thanks!
By AlexL
um............... here is a diagram for a nos switch that uses a spdt relay to activate nos. it uses a power wheels forward & reverse switch as an on off switch so the nos cant be activated with the vehicle off.

I am NOT 100% sure this diagram will work but to my knowlege it will, so PLEASE wait for an "expert" :roll:

KEY:
RED-positive
BLACK-negative
the blue arrow is pointing to the stock battery inputs
the green arrow is pointing to the stock motor outputs

smart draw nos button(relay).png

hope I helped
By lawman
Thanks, The thing is I only have 1 12volt battery in mine the stock one and the drawing shows 2. So can i wire in my 6 volt battery before the switch or do I have to do it after? If i do it before though it would make all speeds faster correct?I was thinking before because does it not come out of the switch on two wires? Thanks
By jparthum
If you're not looking to have a 'NOS' button, you can simply connect the Positive [+] from either battery to the Negative [-] of the other battery, then just connect the 'left-over' Positive [+] and Negative [-] to the vehicle. :)
By lawman
Ok thanks so you do it right at the battery. So your running18volts into that switch? That was my question. Also by doing that is the slow and reverse faster or the same?? Thanks
Yes, you just wire the batteries in series right at the battery, so the switch will see 18v.

The High, Low and Reverse selector configures the motors in series when Low or Reverse is selected, basically splitting the voltage between the 2 motors (6v each), and configures the motors in parallel when High is selected, allowing full voltage to both motors (12v)

With 18v, both motors will see 18v in High, and in Low and Reverse it will be split between the two (~9v each).

Thomas.
By Pottsy
I am picking up an arctic cat 650 for free tonight. I have brand new 12 V and 6 V batteries and a 30 amp circuit breaker waiting for it. This is going o be my first power wheels mod. This site is awesome and has me really pumped to try some mods. How did your arctic cat do running 18 volts? And if I understood this correctly, just wiring up an extra 6 volt in series at the stock battery, everything works the same including the speed selector so I still have a low speed albeit a faster one (9 volts for low)?

I also just bought a new Best Choice Products Jeep, but due to the more conpicated electronics in that guy and paying full price for it, I am going to keep its electrical system stock for now, but add a new 6volt circuit with a dedicated battery to run auxiliaries like lighting.
By Pottsy
Re-reading this I just want to clarify, I think you were trying to saw when low speed is elected the switch configures the batteries in parallel and when high is selected they act as in series giving the full 18 volts. Is that true even with the batteries configured in series at the stock location? Low acting as a parallel configuration was the only thing that seemed to make sense since it drops the voltage to 9 volts.

The stock speed selector switch can handle the 18 volts? I don't want to fry it - yet!
By Rob222
"Re-reading this I just want to clarify, I think you were trying to say when low speed is selected the switch configures the batteries in parallel and when high is selected they act as in series giving the full 18 volts. Is that true even with the batteries configured in series at the stock location? Low acting as a parallel configuration was the only thing that seemed to make sense since it drops the voltage to 9 volts."

No, Thomas is correct. When low speed is selected the switch configures the MOTORS in SERIES and when high is selected the MOTORS are wired in PARALELL giving the full 18 volts to each motor. The batteries stay wired in series no matter what the switch does. Only very old Powerwheels that came stock with two 6v batteries switched the batteries between series/parallel to control speed.

Sounds like the switch. Pop it out and test with a[…]

The project is picking up pace. The 1" tubes […]

Hey guys, it's been a while. Things got really bus[…]

PW Corvette help

So I bought a Black PW Corvette from craigslist, t[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course