KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Need new batteries? Going from 12V to 18V or 6V to 12V? Wiring Questions?
By TewSmooth18
I would like to bypass the control box in the Dumar Yamaha raptor 660r and rewire it similar to a power wheel so it's just the gear boxes, f/r switch, hi/lo switch, foot pedal, and a on/off switch.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram on how I would need to go about doing this? or could somebody make a wiring diagram on how to do this?

It would be much appreciated.

thanks

By TewSmooth18
anyone? I can't justify paying 50 bucks for a new control box for this thing, but will if this is going to be to difficult to do.

i'd like to keep all the sounds from the sound box as well but not sure if i'll be able to do that or not.
By sea_stork
You will lose the sounds. The control box works them. I would rewire using a power wheels jeep harness, or a harness from the older ninja quad. You will have to replace the shift switches with PW shifter switches, and replace the pedal switch with a 12v 30a plunger switch, by cutting the hole just big enough to fit, and a notch in one corner for the alignment tab on the plunger switch. Leave the old on/off switch in the tank for looks.

There is a harness and the switches for $12, for sale here. Can't beat that. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7406

Here is a wiring diagram, on the plunger switch in the pic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUMAR-MEGATREDZ ... 43a92bcd76
Last edited by sea_stork on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
By TewSmooth18
Thanks for the info Sea Stork. I picked up a plunger switch locally for 5 bucks new, and took 2 rocker switches out of a old hurricane shifter assembly that I had. I don't think i'm going to use a wire harness from a previous PW. Think i'm just going to wire a new harness myself with 10awg or 12awg wire. I'm going to follow this guide (if it will work, someone chime in and let me know if it will be ok.)
PW-Wiring.jpg
PW-Wiring.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 8949 times
If this will work, can someone please explain which terminal is what on the rocker switches in this diagram. For example, my rocker switches (next to each terminal) is label 1,2,3,4,5,6. Which terminal is what on the diagram? And another thing, the diagram is showing a resister, is the resister required? If so, what size is needed?

Also, Does anyone happen to know which wire is positive and negative to the motors on the Raptor 660? There is a Red/Black to one motor (guessing red = pos and black =neg on this motor, but the other motor is blue/yellow. which one of these is pos and neg?

Just FYI incase someone else is wondering, On the Raptor 660, the Control box actually isnt what controls the sounds. There is another small PCB board that is shrink wrapped which has the plug for the sound box buttons and another plug for the speaker, then the opposite side has a black and red (positive/negative) wiring coming off it. This is the only thing that is needed for the sounds to work, so just cut the red/black wires off and put power to it. I've so far only tested it with a battery box that takes 3 AAA batteries and it works.
Last edited by TewSmooth18 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By sea_stork
Resistor is not needed, but it softens the braking effect. The wiring diagram is correct. It's just a PIA to try to wire it all up without A PW harness. The shifter plugs in the PW harness make it easy. If something is working backwards you just unplug a switch and turn it around. The yellow wire is the pos, I believe. The motor with black and red wire will be wired with reverse polarity, but the motor may be marked with reverse polarity or not. It's a bit of trial and error.

Cool, you figured out how to run the sounds without the control box.
Last edited by sea_stork on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TewSmooth18
Ok, so we have determined that this is the correct wiring diagram, but, again, do you know which pin is what on the diagram above? for example, on the diagram above on the f/r switch, is the top left terminal the # 1 on my switch, or is that actually # 6 on my switch? same with the hi/lo switch in this diagram, is the top left #1 or #6?
By sea_stork
To me, it's the same either way. The switch has 2 contacts in it, with a set of 3 connections for each one. I think it can be 6 or 1, as long as both switches are in the same orientation.
By TewSmooth18
ok thanks. i'll try and wire it all up outside of the quad just for testing and see how it works out, then make the real harness once I verify everything works out. Will just use old scrape cable before hacking up new cable
By sea_stork
Just wanted to add... While the resistor is not needed, you still need that wire connection to have brakes. Just without a resistor. When the pedal is released it connects that ground to the motors pos, and shorts the power the DC motors create by turning. Thereby causing a braking effect.

Did I mention to make sure you have a 30a fuse on the battery plug?
Last edited by sea_stork on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TewSmooth18
yeah, understand that. I'm going to wire it exactly how the diagram above is, just not put the resister in, just have straight wire where it shows the resister
By TewSmooth18
So, I have wired up a test harness to test this out and make sure it all works before cutting long pieces of wire to the length needed to mount everything. I found it pretty easy to wire this myself instead of buying a prebuild wire harness. Everything works well, I think..

Few Questions...
1. From this wiring diagram, will there be hi speed AND low speed in reverse? or should this diagram still give only low speed in reverse?

2. I would like to go ahead and add a resister to soften the braking some, What size resister is needed?

3. What gauge of wire is recommended for wiring this to be safe? I used a 14 gauge wire for the test harness, is this size safe for the permanent harness?

Thanks in advance
By TewSmooth18
Anyone able to answer these 3 questions for me so I can get started on making the permanant wire harness? Hoping to stop some where on my lunch break to pick up the materials needed
By sea_stork
TewSmooth18 wrote:So, I have wired up a test harness to test this out and make sure it all works before cutting long pieces of wire to the length needed to mount everything. I found it pretty easy to wire this myself instead of buying a prebuild wire harness. Everything works well, I think..

Few Questions...
1. From this wiring diagram, will there be hi speed AND low speed in reverse? or should this diagram still give only low speed in reverse?

2. I would like to go ahead and add a resister to soften the braking some, What size resister is needed?

3. What gauge of wire is recommended for wiring this to be safe? I used a 14 gauge wire for the test harness, is this size safe for the permanent harness?

Thanks in advance
1. It should operate normally. Just low reverse.

2. I'm not sure if it's 5 ohm or 5 watts, try a forum search for "braking resistor", you may also try "breaking resistor".:lol:

3. You need to use at least 12 ga wire. Use 10ga if you plan on going to 18 volts.
By TewSmooth18
Ok, so you said that it should operate normally, just low reverse, i'm getting high in forward AND reverse. What could I have wired incorrectly that is giving me high in reverse as well?
By sea_stork
Maybe I was wrong? Maybe that diagram is for a vehicle with a shifter. The hi/lo can't be switched while a shifter is in reverse.

You might try a new thread on the subject. Maybe a PW genius will chime in. :D
By TewSmooth18
Ok, I can see that being the case, due to if its for shifter, the low switch would be activated when passing by to go to reverse, there for it would be in low in reverse.

So, now my question is, It doesn't bother me have hi in reverse, so, is this going to cause any problems, or is low gear in reverese just for the sake of safety of the child? if high gear in reverse won't cause any problems, i'm fine with that and i'm sure my son would be so as well as he HATES low gear lol
By sea_stork
It's a safety issue. Probably the same reason Peg Perego ride ons have to be held in reverse, their spring loaded shifters pop back to low forward when released.
By TewSmooth18
Sea_stork. Thanks for all the help that you gave me with this. Here is the finished product

By Vandrew
I'm new to this got this thing for free and it needs all new wire when looking at the diagram my high low switch and forward reverse switch on have a total of 4 terminals but is labeled with 6 terminal spots so what do I need to do?

I just bought a used power wheels dune buggy thing[…]

Looking through options for fixing up a Lil F150,[…]

3B Gearbox on 12v?

So guys what about a 12V to 6V step down converter[…]

Repair Question

You can connect a 12v battery straight to the tab[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course