KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Interesting in starting or joining a new group within modifiedpowerwheels? Post your interests here or search for one in your area.
Last edited by ms1120 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
By ms1120
Heres what I would like to see. In April or May of 2011, I would like to see a Meet, Swap Meet/ Ride or whatever in GA. Those northern guys have a blast at their meets and we are missing out. If I knew where all the current GA members were, I can find us a place and I dont mind organizing it unless someone else wants to. I want to make sure that theres going to be participation though and it wont be a bust.
By chozian
ms1120 wrote:Heres what I would like to see. In April or May of 2011, I would like to see a Meet, Swap Meet/ Ride or whatever in GA. Those northern guys have a blast at their meets and we are missing out. If I knew where all the current GA members were, I can find us a place and I dont mind organizing it unless someone else wants to. I want to make sure that theres going to be participation though and it wont be a bust.

Where about in Georgia are you located? I'm in the northern part of Alabama.
By redman
Hey yall,
I am in Hawkinsville, Ga
I have just stated modifing powerwheels.
If the meet was close to middle georgia i would be in.
By Woodson
Fellas! I'm in the Atlanta area and would enjoy a meet and greet. I'm new to the mod but have high hopes and could always learn a thing or two.
By VinDog
I'm in Woodstock, metro ATL area. Have a few friends with PW passion and desire to mod. Would love to do something with larger group at central location, or even just a few other locals in the ATL on a regular basis to get the modding ball rolling a bit faster...
By VinDog
By I-575 and 92 in Woodstock:
We have a group of younger riders, my son being the only one driving with any mods, for now...
They kids' ages/vehicles are:
2 - PP Corral Princess (not much into steering yet)
3 - Ninja KFX
3 - My son, driving anything listed in signature...
4 - Yellow Jeep 12V (little blonde girl next door)
4 - Grave Digger (Wants to mod, but can't change a light bulb)
4-5 - Ninja KFX

They all usually just come by my place and drive ours around, since the Ninjas and Grave Digger are Christmas presents, except for the little blond girl in the yellow jeep next door. My son will jump out of whatever he's driving to ride around with her...

We have a power line easement between our place and the little-blonde-girl-next-door's house. 100' wide and about 300' long, with a creek running through it. Right now, we are using only half of it, while we try to clear and smooth the other half. Three years ago, it was briars, thorns, vines, and a whole ton of poison ivy and sumac. Now, it's a playground with big plans in store.

There is an 8' wide bridge on the left, and a new one on the right, which still has to be set in the ground fully. The swing set will be moving out of the picture to the right, and the jungle gym dome will be moving a bit to the left to give a better path to the bridge. Perhaps one day there will be a chipping tee and a putting/putt-putt green...

Short term goal is to clear and smooth the far side to create a large oval track area, with access to the dead-end street behind it for chewing up some tires. It's not bad for vehicles with some ground clearance, but Dale Earnhardt Jr wouldn't make it 10 feet on the other side of the bridge.

We're more than happy to host small get-togethers for BPRO fun as we work on enlarging the area. Maybe we can get a real oval or irregular track built and have some races by this time next year. Railings on the sides of the bridges would be critical, though.

Altoona sounds like a fun time, too. We also have Noon Day Park a mile away. It has several soccer fields. I have never seen them used, but I have never been there on a weekend.
Attachments
Easement.jpg
Last edited by VinDog on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ms1120
Im thinking of having a ride/swap meet/picnic/cook-out on May 26th. Im open for suggestions on the location but I think I could arrange for us to use any of the state parks.
By VinDog
Don't really know the area, but I'll talk with the neighbors and see if they're interested and have suggestions for the location. I suppose I need to get my hands on some more batteries by then, and finish some yet-to-be-started projects...
By VinDog
Initial response from neighbor next door is that he'd be interested in a day trip May 26th for getting his daughter together with other kids for some BPRO fun.
He's not at all interested in mods at this point. Even bought an OEM PW battery at wmart a month ago, despite me having told him about all the cheaper, long-running options. Got a bad battery. Won't take initial charge. Lost his receipt. Serves him right for not listening to me... :(

Going to ask the others later today.
By VinDog
ms1120 wrote:That has track potential. I had envisioned a swap meet, PW ride day and picnic type event. Taz was holding some and everyone seemed to have a good time.

This is what we started with...

Easement Before_edited-1.jpg
By VinDog
Actually, I was just installing Google Earth after my pc crashed and I saw they still had this old image up there. Thought I'd show the before pic. All that's missing is the in-between pic, when it was a 4-wheeler track, until the collarbone incident...

I am more than happy to host!!
Great access from 575. Not bad coming from east, maybe 20 minutes from 400.

There's a lot of work to be done on the track though. As it stands now, I wouldn't bring anything without a decent amount of ground clearance and some deep treads on the other side of the creek.

I know I can get a bunch of stuff cleaned and smoothed out by then. I just have to start moving some wood chip piles and drag the fence a bit. The second bridge is sitting a few inches too high, but nothing a shovel can't fix. And some side rails on the bridges for safety would be a wise idea.

We would have ammenities that state parks couldn't offer, such as electric for quick charging batteries, private restrooms, refrigerators for food/beverages, a pool, and no worries about other people having a picnic. Maybe even bust out the beans bags for the adults. (I believe y'all call it cornhole down here) Or even the foosball table, if I could find any decent competition.

It's a little far north for Gambler, but north enough we might get some TN folks. I haven't seen some of the guys from the archived Georgia thread on this new one, but maybe we can track them down.

I wouldn't know the best way to host this. Just smooth out the track and fill the propane tanks for the grills to start. Should we stake out a specific track, or let the kids just meander wherever they wanted? Set up a drag strip? I have some cones and 5 gallon buckets for an obstacle course.
What have the other guys been doing in TX and NJ?

Can we get some feedback from others?
LOCAL GUYS: Are you interested? Woodstock, GA May 26th
EVERYBODY: What do you suggest to maximize kids' fun? (Any non-local guys on this thread? TAZ, you out there?)
By taz11
On the run...get back with you in a few days ;)
By VinDog
taz11 wrote:On the run...get back with you in a few days ;)

We anxiously await your input. THANKS, TAZ!!
By ms1120
You said "Ya'll" lol.
Then you said something that sounded like a bad word related to the flame cookin of the flesh of sacraficed animals which I cant repeat but it started with a "P" and ended with a "E". It hurt my ears to type that much. J/K...No Im not. lol
There are 3 guys on the west side of the state. We may be able to convince them. Its a fair hike for me but not too far for a day long event. IMO, I think a staked out oval or crooked oval would be safe in the event of a crash. Sewer drain tube works well for slower vehicles but I dont know about the ones that are fast enough to drift the corners. Taz may know. If Gambler is interested, he can half way at my house if he wants to so its not such a hike. Im hospitable like that. In order to maximize fun and minimize chaos, heres my 2 pennies worth:
1-make everyone responsible for their own kids. I know this goes without saying for most but some folks take their kids to places and let them run wild.
2-Let the adults make the rules but let the kids have the fun. The kids are the reason for the PWs to begin with. If the adults are more interested in playing football than watching the kids, it will be crazy.
3-Let everyone commit to bring something. If everyone has a task/duty to bring something like drinks, burgers, wings, plates, cups and they are DEFINATELY coming, it will make it easier and cheaper on the host.
5-Last but not least TRY to set a schedule and stick to it. Starts at 9, lunch at 12, ends at 5....whatever. As long as everyone who is coming has a schedule of events ahead of time, they should know how it will affect everyone else if they are tardy or cancel out at the last minute.
Now, Taz may show me that Im wrong on each of the 5 I listed that came to mind as I was posting this. And if Im wrong, Im wrong. Ive never done this either but Im excited.
By VinDog
We have charcoal grills, as well. I like to run the rotisserie for a couple hours at a time, so I get lazy and use propane IR burner. Impossible to burn my bacon-wrapped scallops. They just keep getting smaller and smaller if I forget them.

I like all the suggestions.

I have a couple 50' rolls of black 4" corrugated drain pipe I haven't had the chance to bury yet. I was also thinking of stakes and neon tape. I would think we would want stakes to be either really short or really tall. The oval could be 250' long, easy, or a short one. We could have a smooth oval on one side, and more of an off road course on the other side of the creek. What about some small hills? I have a bunch of wood chips, but I'm not sure they'd be any good for many BPROs, a good test for rubber tires or PW monster traction tires though. I do need to bring some dirt in eventually. I could throw a yard here or there for a small obstacle course inside the oval. Perhaps a mud hole? The south side of the creek will not have grass on much of it anyway.

Having separate tracks on either side of the creek would reduce the traffic across the bridges. I hate to see a kid hit a bridge crooked and drive off the edge. (gotta build railings)

Not much here has the speed to drift on the grass/dirt yet. The other guys haven't caught the fever yet, but I'm hoping this event will change that.
If I drag the fence over the dirt a bit, we could probably get some loose dirt. I think my son would get a kick out of seeing some drifting. I've tried to explain it to him, but he's just too darn young to listen. Hmmmm, maybe if I get some slicks for his XM...

The dead end street behind the track sees very little traffic. I'm sure I could get the neighbor behind me to let us use his hose and hose down the street a bit to get some nice power slides going on.

For working on the track, I have a chunk of chain link wrapped around some railroad ties, a box scraper with scarifier bars, a roller, a dethatcher, and a tiller. With enough time, we could pretty much have whatever kind of surface we wanted. I have to watch my son all day, so there isn't always time for me to hook up the lawn tractor and putt around the yard, but I'll see what I can get started on in the coming days.
By ms1120
Uggggggg YOu used the P word again. lol. I think it really is a "if you build it, they will come" kind of thing. Keep it simple, make it fun. Just remember that if the kids get muddy or the PWs do, some of us have a few hours drive to get home. We used long spike nails for the R/C track and used the piping. We drove them flush with the top of the pipe and added a washer so they didnt pull out. Make a big oval and leave room for some freestyle stuff is my input. Have classes if it comes to that with Stock, Modified and unlimited. I dont have anything running controllers or 36v but some of them are fast. As long as the kids have fun, we get some good pics/videos and everyone wants to do it again later in the year or next year, its a success. Too much planning and fore thought leaves ALOT of room for someone or something to disappoint you as the host. Not enough planning means that it will likely fail. Dont put too much into it money wise. Just keep it inviting and easy to use. We can all bring camp chairs, portable shelters, battery chargers and extras.
By ms1120
This is from Taz's post in 2011. But remember, this isnt their first time

Fall is in the air........ It is time for raking leaves, sending the kids to school, and POWER WHEELS RACING!!!!

Yes, its time for the annual "Power Wheels Day". This is "semi-organized" Power Wheels racing.

October 1st. Raindate Oct 2nd Location: 08804, Time: 12:00 gates open. Parents/Drivers meeting at 12:50.

We will be running up to 4 classes this year depending on car counts.

1)Stock

2)Stock+6

3)Modified Stock

4)Unlimited

There will be participation medals for all and trophies for the winners. I will be asking for a $5 donation for each participant to help offset some of the cost of trophies.

There will be 3 "official" races per class. If there are not enough vehicles to run all 4 classes, races will be added to the remaining classes. I'm sure there will be numerous amounts of "unofficial" racing too.

Vehicle rules can be found here.....viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2665

RSVP by Sept 18th so we can get a head count for trophies!

Remember...every racer must bring there bike helmet to race!
By ms1120
And this one is from the link
by taz11 » 25 May 2011 09:39

I'm posting this as a reference.

I am tentatively planning a fall meet and hypo21 has talked about a summer meet. We have agreed to use the same rules to keep it simple for interested local members. You may post questions and comments here. Any rule changes resulting from your input will be made to this first post.

Penn/Jersey 2011 race rules

1) Stock ........This class requires the motors, gearbox tooth count, tire size, and battery voltage to remain stock as sold new. (12 volt max) Stock 24 volt cars will run in the stock +6 class unless there is a sufficient car count to make a separate class.

2) Stock +6 .....Same as above +6volts. (12v at 18 volts and super 6 at 12 volts)

3) Modified Stock ..Any combination of stock components. Scooter controllers allowed. Stock 550 or 700 motors only. (24 volts max). Traction bands allowed on the front tires only(unless they are stock)

4) Unlimited ...... Should be based on a PowerWheel (peg, Saftey 1st, etc) body/chassis. Electric only. Traction bands allowed on the front tires only(unless they are stock, ie-if you want rear traction bands, go find some wheels that came with them)

General.....Sealed batteries only! Bike helmets required to race (fullface style highly recommended). Motorcross style safety gear required for motorcycles and quads in the unlimited class(vehicles that leave hands and/or feet exposed).Last edited by taz11 on 13 Sep 2011 09:21, edited 3 times in total.
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!..........Out of somebody's garbage

***WANTED***
Looking for these motors "9013"(bottom one)
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... rs_775vcwc
Please let me know if you see any!

Found the "8514" thanks to Bricklayer99 http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M7-RS775-18
taz11
Administrator

Location: Bloomsbury, NJ Advanced Modder- 3739 Archived Posts
Private messageTop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Penn/Jersey 2011 Power Wheels race rules.
by taz11 » 25 May 2011 09:51

I am also considering a small signup fee this year.

Reasons for this......

1) offset some of the cost of trophies in a tough economy.

2) The past 3 events have had a higher that acceptable no show rate. As a parent I realize that unforseen situations arise. I am trying to eliminate the "my wife scheduled a picnic for that day" cancellations two days before the meet. I'm hoping that If it costs a few bucks, people will take it a little more seriously. It's not fair for those who do show up and have no one to race with.

Thoughts on this are welcome.
By VinDog
That's getting a bit deep for a first-time event. I think it's a great idea, but probably something that gets planned during the initial get-to-know-you event. I don't think any of the kids in the neighborhood even have helmets yet, as a result of no mods yet and too yound to ride bikes.
By VinDog
ms1120 wrote:Like I said, not their first time. Im good either way. Just let me know what your homeowners insurance, I mean you decide on. lol

Probably not a bad idea to add an umbrella policy before this event...
By taz11
Sorry guys, busy week here. I'll be passing by and tossing out ideas....I'll leave it to you guys to put them all together. Not enough time today for an organized write up. :shock: :? :roll: :oops:

"on the run"......Was passing by the computer between coats of paint on the QM. Had to check in.
Last edited by taz11 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ms1120
So what about 2 classes with a sub-class in one?
Class 1- 12v box stock
Class 1a- 6v box stock
Class 2- 12v stock bumped to 18v and 6v stock bumped to 12v
This would keep any little feelings from getting run over because they were getting smoked. It could be adjusted on the fly depending on what showed up but it would give folks an idea of what they could/should bring and allow for registration ahead of time.
By taz11
Adjustable on the fly is good......

Dont forget to mention this in the event section ;)
By VinDog
chozian wrote:
ms1120 wrote:Heres what I would like to see. In April or May of 2011, I would like to see a Meet, Swap Meet/ Ride or whatever in GA. Those northern guys have a blast at their meets and we are missing out. If I knew where all the current GA members were, I can find us a place and I dont mind organizing it unless someone else wants to. I want to make sure that theres going to be participation though and it wont be a bust.

Where about in Georgia are you located? I'm in the northern part of Alabama.

We're looking at the Woodstock/Marietta area, NW suburbs of ATL. You can mapquest to 30188 for general idea...
If everyone that replied in the old forum is still interested, that would add 11 more to the mix. Chozian and 12vwiz are in Al and somewhat close. Get the NC, SC, FL and TN folks in the mix and we may have ourselves a sure nuff event.
Any members local to the Woodstock/Marietta area that would want to come by and help me determine a preliminary track layout?
There are some obstacles (fire pit, woodchip piles, etc) that may not need to be moved with the right track design. I'll be using the next four months to make some specific improvements, but chasing after a 3 yr old all day, I won't have time to complete everything. A little direction and focus would help me concentrate my efforts on where they are needed most.
I'm not looking for anyone to help with the work, just to help define what work should take priority.

Thanks!!
Here is an aerial view of the area for the rally. Please feel free to download it, mock up a track or two, and repost. There is a creek cutting across the middle. The top side is mostly grass, but the bottom side is very rough and lacking grass. It's possible all of it could be a bit muddy of there's a bunch of rain before the event. I'm working on getting some wood chips down in the low spots, and will throw some grass seed down in a couple months.

GoogleEarth_Image of track.jpg
GoogleEarth_Image%20of%20track.jpg
GoogleEarth_Image%20of%20track.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 6483 times

This is what I came up with. A Smooth course at the top of mostly grass and a muddy track/offroad track at the bottom. Since the bridge is narrow and accidents could happen, you can take it out of racing/driving play by not using it as part of the track.
Mud is good! You'll have to trust me on that one ;)

I'd start with the dirt section.......it will all be dirt when you are done.

While I'm posting....keep all your ideas on a note pad and put them in order for the meet. In the heat of competition YOU WILL FORGET!

I make a list and try to follow it on race day.

Put a video camera on a tripod and film each race. You'll be surprised how fast you loose track of who is where.

If you decide on trophies....Don't put dates on them. You can use extras next year ;)
How would wood chips work in various areas of the offroad track? Can they get traction in various vehicles? I have no idea aside from the Gaucho, which has no problems...
ms1120 wrote:
GoogleEarth_Image%20of%20track.jpg

This is what I came up with. A Smooth course at the top of mostly grass and a muddy track/offroad track at the bottom. Since the bridge is narrow and accidents could happen, you can take it out of racing/driving play by not using it as part of the track.

I'll get some new views, zoomed in closer, with the separate sides of the track on separate pics. There are some obstacles that are not evident, such as a swing set...
taz11 wrote:Mud is good! You'll have to trust me on that one ;)

I'd start with the dirt section.......it will all be dirt when you are done.

While I'm posting....keep all your ideas on a note pad and put them in order for the meet. In the heat of competition YOU WILL FORGET!

I make a list and try to follow it on race day.

Put a video camera on a tripod and film each race. You'll be surprised how fast you loose track of who is where.

If you decide on trophies....Don't put dates on them. You can use extras next year ;)

I'm thinking we should keep this intial event simple and less competitive. There's just so much work left to do to clean up the 30 trees we had dropped last fall. Once we get a feel for the track, competition, and everything else, we can plan a more competitive event, with a better track and trophies.

I like the idea of some mud obstacles. How muddy though? Lose your shoe three inches deep kind of muddy? Or surface-slick kind of muddy.
There was some concern expressed about mud and the people traveling from long distances having to take their rides and kids home like that. I figure we have a pool and a hose. Heck, I can even have a hose with hot/cold water. Everyone bringing a swimsuit, a change of clothes, and a towel should do the trick.

Do you run in heats and repeat? Or is it one race to win a trophy? Do the younger kids have a tendency to treat it more like a demolition derby?
ms1120 wrote:Wood chips may be an issue for some vehicles but I have a cure for it. ;)

Don't keep us in suspense. What's the cure?
I found that closely mowed grass works the best...border line scalped. You can let the grass grow fairly tall and mow just the track. Its easy to follow and has very little resistance to keep the speed up. I think I'd leave out the wood chips and stick with the dirt....maybe rake out any large stones.

I ran 2 heats, a feature, and two dash races in each class.

Each heat had 1/2 of the participants. Then I lined them up in inverted finish order (winners in the back) for the feature.

The first dash had everyone who had not won yet......give them one more chance. The second dash had all the winners.
Last edited by taz11 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ummm That was my concern about being muddy. Im down with it either way though. My little fish loves her some swimming. Why were you not clearing trees today? Shoot, I would have went and got them free PWs and dropped the puppy off with you and took the PWs home with me. lol. Except for the whole doghouse/recliner/cage/mad wife thing.

So I would also recommend CJB Turbo Timer setup bo[…]

I am upgrading a Best Choice 12v Jeep purchased fr[…]

mine has a chrome housing with clear lens covers..[…]

Hammer! Wow.... Great info... Thank you Reading […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course