KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
This is where you introduce yourself! Share your insight, areas of expertise, or just interests.
By Jahkneefive
Used to be an avid racer(road course) and builder, but now that I have kids I've had to dial back. The plus side is I've recently discovered the joys of modifying PWs for the kids. Not only is it cheaper, but I can pass it off with the wifey as quality time with the kiddos and I get to scratch my modder itch!

3yr Old's Dune Racer - 18v soon to get motor/gearing upgrade.

1yr Old's Dune Racer - Got this for free after neighbor did a 24v conversion without supporting mods and fried the shifter and motors. Got plenty of time so going to completely gut and rebuild the drivetrain on this one.

Both will remain 18v to keep it simple and easy on maintenance. I'm also going to modify the steering to cut down the turn radius a bit, metal first gears, 10-12g wiring w/ 40A circuit breaker, and BMX traction strips at all 4 corners. Debating the brake mod pros and cons so not sure on that yet. I'm sure there will be other mods here and there, but that's the basics.
By wired
Welcome. I'm making a prediction. You'll be making little race cars before you know it. :D
By M.L.Toys
The only con to our Brake Reduction Module is if you have hills the vehicle may not stop well when facing up or down hill. Otherwise it saves on gear & motor wear plus makes the ride more enjoyable.
By toycrusher
Jahkneefive wrote:Used to be an avid racer(road course) and builder, but now that I have kids I've had to dial back. The plus side is I've recently discovered the joys of modifying PWs for the kids. Not only is it cheaper, but I can pass it off with the wifey as quality time with the kiddos and I get to scratch my modder itch!

3yr Old's Dune Racer - 18v soon to get motor/gearing upgrade.

1yr Old's Dune Racer - Got this for free after neighbor did a 24v conversion without supporting mods and fried the shifter and motors. Got plenty of time so going to completely gut and rebuild the drivetrain on this one.

Both will remain 18v to keep it simple and easy on maintenance. I'm also going to modify the steering to cut down the turn radius a bit, metal first gears, 10-12g wiring w/ 40A circuit breaker, and BMX traction strips at all 4 corners. Debating the brake mod pros and cons so not sure on that yet. I'm sure there will be other mods here and there, but that's the basics.

Welcome to the forums! Yes, modding PWs for the kids is a sneaky (and less unaffordable) way to do what we love without the dirty looks from significant others... :lol:

I have always recommended a complete ESC conversion as the first step in modifying rides. It's a little pricey but a set or two of blown gearboxes more than pays for it. Then you can go for traction mods and the like. Plus, it's great to teach kids how to modulate throttle as well as use a brake.
16AH, 4s lipo 2.5 lbs $99

If you go the LiPo route, make sure you use one of[…]

It won't be trivial if you're not sure, but if you[…]

NATV is Not an ATV

I got the Power Wheels bug this year and am now up[…]

Nice -- that's some impressive speed, and it sound[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course