KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
This is where you introduce yourself! Share your insight, areas of expertise, or just interests.
By Riedenbikes
Hi,

Picked up an old gator and been trying to get it running. I’ve got voltage to the gearbox and when the wires are unconnected to the motors I have 13 volts but when connected voltage goes to zero and no power to the motors. Any ideas?

Thanks
By Bigmac41288b
Battery condition? If its old I would start with a new battery. If battery is newer I would make sure motors are working by wiring them directly to the battery with a couple wire scraps. If motors both work with 12-13v straight to them then the problem is somewhere between in the switches, connections or wiring. Check a few things out and get back on here with what ya find and maybe I can offer a little more help once you narrow down some possibilities.
By Hammer-fm
Agree with this one. Old batteries with a failed cell will often show 12+V after charging, but the instant you put a load on it they'll go to <8V (near-zero if they're in really bad shape). If you have a dummy/load resistor around that's an easy way to check (or an automotive 12V lamp, etc.).
By Onebrightcrayon
Hammer-fm wrote:Agree with this one. Old batteries with a failed cell will often show 12+V after charging, but the instant you put a load on it they'll go to <8V (near-zero if they're in really bad shape). If you have a dummy/load resistor around that's an easy way to check (or an automotive 12V lamp, etc.).

Hi. I apologize in advance if I’m “hijacking” the OP question. I have a similar complaint for a Power Wheel I just purchased second hand. Battery tests good on dmm but once in use it almost immediatly goes to a slow crawl & stops.

I didn’t see where I can create my own post. I reviewed the FAQs & new member posts that I came across.

I am new to all that is Power Wheels & no knowledge of electrical. I have searched this forum & also the archived “http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com”.

If I posted incorrectly, please direct me to correct process.

I have a Power Wheels 12v gray battery model 00801-0638. Stamp code: 1772PM2. Based on other posts I don’t see how to determine the date based on that code.
I have a Power Wheels probe style charger model 00801-1778.

I borrowed a DMM & checked the battery while disconnected. It reads 13.20v.
I wanted to test the charger so I plugged into outlet & it reads 14.16v.
I plugged the charger into outlet & battery, dmm reads 14.14v on the battery terminals with charger connected.

I don’t have any dummy load equipment. I gathered from other posts that I should elevate the Power Wheel so the tires spin & check the battery “under load”. This is where I’m stuck.

When I propped the Power Wheel on bricks so that the wheels with the box can spins freely, & the battery is installed & connected to plug, there are no available prongs to use the dmm on. The plug inside the Power Wheel covers all the +\- terminals.
By Hammer-fm
IF you two wires and some alligator clips (or someone to hold the wires on), you can disconnect the battery, jam one end of each wire into each of the two terminals on the Power Wheels connector and then hook the other end to the battery, with the DMM connected to either (probably the connector end). The tricky part is hooking the battery end up if you don't have an alligator clip. I have a bunch of "alligator wires" (wire w/ alligator clip on each end), which makes it fairly easy to do.

Or if you can remove (or get access to the bottom of) the gas pedal, you can measure between the white and orange wire terminals -- white is basically connected to battery + and orange is connected to battery -.
Battery questions

Just got 2 free power wheels. 1. Jeep has origina[…]

Looks like I got into this whole modded PW thing s[…]

Hi all, New to the forums and I searched for this[…]

Find new experiences. Just click to see every day.[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course