KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
This is where you introduce yourself! Share your insight, areas of expertise, or just interests.
By broussard82
I am new to the group and have two vehicles. One is a Peg Perego Buck and the other is a Best Choice Products Jeep. I attempted to search the forums for info prior to reaching out and asking, but could not locate what I was looking for. My question is for the BCP Jeep. It seems that the "Controller", IMO, is weak or bad. The Jeep will start slow (as designed) and then go pretty fast on flat ground. But when it is put on a hill or in mud, any small resistance, it slows to less than a crawl and it eventually shuts off. After a brief resting period, it is able to start again and run fine for awhile. The controller will get warm to the touch, but not certain if that is my issue. I guess my first question is will I burn something up if I bypassed the controller and ran wiring directly to the foot pedal and then to the motors? I have not thought through how I would make the reverse work if I pursued this option, but it would at least let me know if the controller was the issue, just did not want to burn something up right out the gate by doing this test. I have already upgraded from the factory 12v battery to a larger 12v battery, which is virtually new. I did test the voltage at the motors with the vehicle supported off the ground and as it starts, voltage is low and then goes all the way to 12v. It seems like the controller design my be the issue (by limiting voltage to the motors at the start). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
By Bigmac41288b
Don’t have a BCP myself but a remember some post last year about the controller being the problem. It limits the current at startup to protect any other components from damage but in turn has very little low end power to propel in grass and up hills.

Sending 12v directly to the motors using some relays or some high amp switches will get you the power increases you are looking for. Look up some powerwheel wiring diagrams if you want to keep fwd and rev.

Just remember anytime something is modified beyond what it was designed to do there is a possibility for something to break.

Welcome to the forum!
By broussard82
Thanks Bigmac41288b!! I plan to look at the wiring on the Peg Perego Buck that I have and attempt to model it after that. It appears to give full power to the rear wheels while allowing reverse and a low/high speed option. I was going to attempt leaving that controller to maintain a few features (radio and start), but take it out the loop for the power to the wheels. Just have to figure out the best method for doing so.
I also understand the chance of possibly breaking something by modifying it, just seeing if anyone had some of those "Don't do this" advice on this subject prior to me doing so was all. Thanks a ton and I will look at posting a different topic once I begin the process on building it.

Hi, I just bought a second-hand Audi R8 for my so[…]

Power Wheels Jeep 4x4

Love your project! Have a Jeep myself that I am lo[…]

Exploding Controllers

Yeah... so red to red and black to black right....[…]

"Best" Choice JEEP

Thanks man! Looking into it now!

HobbyMasters Udemy Course