KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
This is where you introduce yourself! Share your insight, areas of expertise, or just interests.
By BeginnerMods
Alright everyone I have been following this forum for about a month debating on if I want to get into the hobby of modifying PW. I have a 3 year old who drives his Lightning McQueen PW religiously. It is stock running on 6v currently but am considering changing to a 12v battery with a secondary 6v. Giving myself the option to run 18v continuously or 12v with possibly a turbo. Don’t think he can handle much more than 18 at this time.
I know I am not even close to the only one that has done this job before but I am not sure of what extra I need to do not to fry anything. Can the wiring, motor, gearbox, or just can the car itself handle just being switched over? Also where can I get parts easily? Tires, new motors, etc etc?

I love the site and hope to get some good advice!

By wired
Welcome,
Those mods are a good choice and are easy to do . I do not suggest running the single 6v motor at 18v. It won't last long. Adding a second motor/gearbox and running them in series would handle 18v with more reliability. You can source parts from our wanted section, hobby masters, Amazon, ebay etc...
By BeginnerMods
I believe his model came with two separate motors and gearbox’s but they are still 6v. If there is only one motor and gear box would just adding one motor do the job or should I replace both motors so they are equal in strength and life.
Thanks for your advice! Love the site
By wired
If the car came with two motors/gearboxes then running at 12v is going to be pretty fast and reliable. Usually the 6v rides only have fwd and rev (no hi/lo) which means it is constantly running in parallel. running at 18v will burn the motors up pretty quick. The terrain you ride on will also affect how well the motors handle the over-volting. Road driving=less drag than riding in grass or up hills.
By BeginnerMods
So do you recommend just running 12v? Also since it only came with fwd/rev, what would the cons to installing a hi/lo switch(if any)? I think 12v would definitely be plenty without getting carried away and rebuilding the entire car(further in the future project). We just rode about a mile and his motors are really hot to hand touch. Is there a way to cool them? Do you recommend adding holes for ventilation?
By wired
If you already have two motors/gearboxes then it's a super six model. I recommend no more than 12v to those motors. Yes you can cool the motors by cutting vent holes in the rear of the vehicle. You can add cooling fans and heatsinks to the motors also. There are plenty of build threads on this site showing different configurations for cooling the motors and/or the motor compartment.
Adding hi/lo fwd is up to you. The only con I foresee is the time, money and effort to mod the car just to get lo speed. The pro would be the option to start in lo and then shift to hi when moving to lessen the stress on the drivetrain. They grow up fast and you have to weigh time/effort vs. ride time.
Once you start modding everything is prone to break. It's never a definite if/when something will give. I recommend starting with 12v and maybe some cooling to prolong motor life and see what happens. If the kid is happy just roll with it.

It would be consistent if he only had 3 customers.[…]

Rubber Tires on 24v Grave Digger

New here, what's all done to it and how did you do[…]

Throttle options?

Looks like a much better setup than the scooter E[…]

Brake question with ESC

Can you re-upload an image we can read? This one […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course