KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Post pictures and Vids of your modifications here.
By tws869
Great site, thanks for the ideas - my boy has not stopped running around our 5 acres since I installed rubber tires on his F150.
Harbor Freight 13" Tires
Front - 5/8" to 7/16" brass bushing (I machined one had some 5/8" stock sitting)
Rear - removed the stock bearings, aluminum insert bored to 3/4" (reamed oversize)
Rear hubs - purchased new plastic drive hubs
4-bolt to the rim of the HF tire
Added wood spacer with notched out bits to allow the torque from the drive hub to transfer to the existing bolts of the rim. Aluminum washer around the plastic drive hub to strengthen the plastic for the bolts passing thru - 1/4"-20 X 3" bolts. I was able to fabricate the unit to be the exact width of the original tire / hub assembly so that I did not need to modify the axle etc. I can remove the rubber tires at any time and return the original pieces.

The truck drives 10K times better with rubber - and it is super quiet not having to listen to the plastic tires crunch over gravel. The only downfall is the original tires did look pretty cool.

By 1COOLPOP
winner winner chicken dinner, awesome mod, too bad i am not a machinist lol you did say you used wood , how much wood can i actually use and still pull it off haha

what about small atv tires ? now you got me thinking, more dreaming but atleast it's in my mind somewhere right,
By tws869
The wood was an afterthought to help transfer the torque - I gorilla glued 2 pieces of 3/4" to a piece of 1/2" and cut the notches with a die grinder and dremel. I wanted to ensure that all the force was applied not just to the bolts. You can avoid any machining by buying the bushings at the hardware store (others seem to have luck finding a 5/8 to 7/16) The aluminum ring I added strengthens the unit but isnt necessarily required. You could try Enco for the bushing for the back wheels, I made mine but I know they sell cored bronze stock.
ATV tires would work, but you cant beat harbor freights prices. Cost me like 9 bucks a tire on sale.

Why should the kids have all the fun! Used this o[…]

All good. 8-) We're here to support each other an[…]

If both motors are working in high gear, look for […]

The replacement motor gearbox combo may not be sui[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course