KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By Kstorm21
Okay, so this has been in the making for quite along time. Thanks to CJB for the help with wiring! After getting a "better" jeep and with the warm weather I was finally able to break the jeep down. Here are some lovely pics of my progress. And a few questions. This is my first real mod so stick with me. :D
IMAG1076.jpg
The "better" jeep. I was able to get most of the decals off when I pressure washed it.

IMAG1077.jpg
Is it me, or do the front tires look like the are angled toward the jeep? /\

IMAG1078.jpg
Tire tread

IMAG1090.jpg
Anyone know if that black bar can come out? If so, HOW??? I (and the hubby) pulled on that thing and it wasn't coming out.

IMAG1092.jpg
Noticed this crack...should I be worried???

IMAG1094.jpg
I'm guessing these need to be cleaned??? Lookin' pretty ruff!

IMAG1096.jpg
This is the rear wheel shaft. It's bowed that much in the center. Should that also worry me?

Also, is there a trick to getting the Power Wheel white plastic piece off the side? It's too late now, but I broke both of them trying to get them off.
By chozian
It definitely looks like it has front end sag. There are various threads on the old site that describe different methods for resolving that problem.

I took apart a similar Jeep in the last few weeks. There were 2 large screws on the bottom side that held in the black bar. They were too rusted for me to remove them though.

In regards to the switches, the external part doesn't look that bad, but should be wiped clean. The inside may be a lot dirtier. I recommend opening them up to thoroughly clean them out.

I was able to get one of the white Power Wheels emblems off by using a large flathead screwdriver to slowly pry up each side until it popped out. I broke the first one I tried to remove because I went too fast.
Last edited by chozian on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kstorm21
I didn't see any screws...there was a hole I could see through and it looked almost like the metal part of the push nuts. I'm gonna try to get the emblems off the other exact same free jeep I got. They seem pretty brittle tho. :( I see if the other Jeep has less sag and possible use that one.
By drew510
On the emblems I use the butt of a screwdriver and push forcefully (but carefully) from the back side, alternating between the posts every couple ribs of movement. Seems to work well for me.

On the roll bar, if there is no screw, then it sounds like they are rusted in place. Either call UNCLE or pull like the dickens. Might want to squirt some WD-40 (I prefer PB Blaster) and tap around with a hammer to loosen it up a bit.

For the sag, I would say take a bit of time and fix it now, because the other one will get there soon enough anyway. Might as well do it when everything is apart.

In other news, was I the only one that didn't know Kstorm21 was a gal? LOL.
Last edited by drew510 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jeepergeek
I'm working on the exact same PW Jeep. I'll have to keep a close on on this thread for any potential hang ups!
By sea_stork
I destroyed the first couple of Power Wheels emblems I tried to remove too. Drew is right, you have to push them out from the back, working each side a bit. I have used the handle of a big screwdriver, but had better luck with a piece of scrap 2x2 pine. It doesn't slide.
By pegperegooooo
To take the emblems off I squished the tabs from the back with plyers and pushed them out. However, I'm assuming you're planning on adding lights. If so Wal-Mart has LED running lights that cover the PW emblem dent very well for a few bucks. They come with a chrome bezel for mounting. I used them on our silverado.
By QBee
Just found your post and can't wait to see the finished project. Our son wants his Aftershock changed from Black to Green, so I'll keep check on your progress to give me some inspiration.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
By GunnyHartman
Hey Kstorm. Sorry, last I heard from you was you were movin and I completely forgot about it! I am sorry! I do still have them and they are yours! Let me know where to send em
Tons of parts

Tons of new parts. Came off pallet return, shoot m[…]

I'm having problems with my ride on car. I have t[…]

Barbie Lamborghini Countosh

I'm looking to purchase a good to great example. I[…]

You need to find a way to seal the gearboxes (tape[…]

HobbyMasters