KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By jonesee
Now that the weather is getting tolerable, I finally got some work done on converting the peg rzr wheels, gearboxes and motors to a gator chassis. With a little snip of the front fenders the rzr wheels fit with no rubbing. The larger gearboxes where easy to mod by making a template and just dremeling out to the shape of the big ole 24 volt gearboxes. Still lots to do but it is up and running. I am running a yk48-2. Built in reverse is soooo much easier I dont think I will be using anything else in the future. You simple use a 3 position key to go from off to forward and turn one more click to the right for reverse simple as pie. I am only using one relay and that is for braking using Taz's schematic http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10357
Attachments
1-002.jpg
gearbox template
3-004.jpg
4-005.jpg
5-007.jpg
front wheel clearance
6-008.jpg
needed to take about 3/16 inch off each inner bushing on the old belt sander.
By jonesee
here is a running video!! I messed up and said gaucho but that is the other 36 volt ride that has been running strong for the second year now with the old style large scooter motors and SP gearboxes, fwiw!!

Last edited by jonesee on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
things still left to do
-make the battery tray to mount the 3 x 12 volt 12 ah batteries underneath the seat area.
-fab seat mounting bracket to use the rzr bucket seats
-wire up front and rear leds and accessory battery in the stock location
-figure out the pvc roll bar design
-decide on what color scheme and start sanding the body
-build the bed extensions to move it back approx. 6 inches to accommodate the ever growing kids!!
-paint it up and see how many minutes it takes to get scratched and trashed!!
Attachments
1-011.jpg
rzr seats mocked up
3-013.jpg
rzr front push bar should work but blocks stock headlights @#*%
2-012.jpg
By jonesee
SAHDman wrote:That thing flies and looks awesome. Good work

thanks, just wait till the roll cage is built and I finally figure out what color to paint it.
By jonesee
got the battery tray cut out of slotted angle iron, all that is left is to weld it up, paint it and bolt it back in. If anyone is interested, 3 12 volt 12ah batteries fit perfect under the seat area.

Now onto the rollcage and rzr seat conversion

One last thing worth mentioning for anyone wanting to tighten the turning radius on the gator is to elongate the slot in the steering tie rod, took 30 seconds and really makes a tight turn now
Attachments
1-003.jpg
angle iron cut and ready for welding
2-004.jpg
demel work on the steering slot
By jonesee
started mocking up the seats and moving the bed back about 8 inches. Lots of room now!!
Attachments
1-001.jpg
2-002.jpg
3-003.jpg
4-004.jpg
By jonesee
got some more work done on the rollcage and rzr bucket seats are mounted up and I think they look pretty sweet.
Attachments
1-002.jpg
2-003.jpg
3-004.jpg
4-005.jpg
5-006.jpg
By Dexter
Is that the peg RZR super K with the 24 volt currie direct drive motor/gearbox ride in your garage I see in the background of one of the pic's?
By jonesee
Dexter wrote:Is that the peg RZR super K with the 24 volt currie direct drive motor/gearbox ride in your garage I see in the background of one of the pic's?

yes it is Dexter! that is my best friends rzr (I almost regret sending him the craigslist listing as I cannot find another one! but I never would have spent the cash on it that he has),this thing is about as far as you can take a ride on without cutting it up and making your own chassis (coming in the near future are plans for building kids sized electric rock racers)!

He just brought it back over for the new kelly controls controller and hall effect brake pedal. The controller has regenerative braking built in to recharge the batteries when you brake or let off the gas.

http://kellycontroller.com/pm48201200a48vwith-regen-p-83.html.

It also has variable brake just like the throttle input (my favorite feature). He also has me ordering 2 new gruber 28 ah batteries to really boost the run time.

It still does about 20-21mph and he just put on some sweet chromed lawnmower hubcaps for the pneumatic wheels. We are going to do a more indepth video in the near future, once we get the micro switched gas and brake pedals installed.
Last edited by jonesee on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dexter
Wow what are the wheels on that thing? U got me totally drooling over that but in my heads I see over $1000in just parts.

Let ur buddy know that is awesome.
By jonesee
latest update- looks like my buddies idea of adding a tandem axle by using a swing arm from a peg sportsman 800 is going to work perfect. I still need to figure out the shock mounts though?? I am also going to build a custom bed, not sure if its going to be diamond plate or just plywood sprayed in bed liner. time to put on the thinking cap.
Attachments
1-139.jpg
mock up of quad swing arm looks good
By daveweber34
Nah. Put the 36v RZR motors and GBs in the lil quad in that picture. Then you've got something that really goes!!!! :twisted:

(Oh man, this one is starting to look really interesting.... :) )
Last edited by daveweber34 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
I finally got a little more done on the swing arm mount but still waiting on gearbox covers and a wheel driver to get all 4 wheels powered. I did manage to get the dual controller setup ready for install too. Here is a short running video before the wife shut me down due to our ding dong dog barking at the big green monster while our neighbors had company!! better videos and pictures to come!! [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYwv4lvHmH0&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share[/video]

I am thinking of using gas struts to preload the rear swingarm mounted horizontal from the stock spring mount location to the gator bed hinge pin location but I also need some springs to provide load support for the bed. Anyone want to throw me a suggestion??
Attachments
2-004.jpg
ended up taking 2 inch mild steel and bent 90's at the end and bolted the plate to the rear of the gator tub and took and old jeep axle and used that for the pin with shaft collars to hold the pivot pin in place.
1-003.jpg
3-005.jpg
4-006.jpg
5-007.jpg
6-009.jpg
Last edited by jonesee on Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By jonesee
:lol:
daveweber34 wrote:Nah. Put the 36v RZR motors and GBs in the lil quad in that picture. Then you've got something that really goes!!!! :twisted:

(Oh man, this one is starting to look really interesting.... :) )
By jonesee
Quick update on progress. All 4 rear wheels have 36 volts of juice. I decided to try out separate gas pedals, one for the left side and one for the right. (thanks for the idea Paul!) and wired up the dual scooter controllers, one controller per pair of motors on either side. Now its down to building the bed frame which will function as the top mounting point for the rear shocks from the peg rzr rear suspension. Quick running video too
By jonesee
SAHDman wrote::o
Can you adopt me?

For real, my kids have no idea how blessed they are! I would have sold off a little brother to have pimped out rides like this when I was 4 yrs old.

thanks SAHDman, hopefully I am in the running for best dad of the year!
By daveweber34
jonesee wrote:
SAHDman wrote::o
Can you adopt me?

For real, my kids have no idea how blessed they are! I would have sold off a little brother to have pimped out rides like this when I was 4 yrs old.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm the youngest out of six boys in my family and grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. I was always at the bottom of the **it list...if you know what I mean. I would've been willing to sell TWO of my older brothers for even a stock 12v ride on.

I tell you, reading some posts on here sure does make me laugh. Keep us posted. This is a great build.
Last edited by daveweber34 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rcredneck
at stock 12 volts. just thought I'd share. I think i need to upgrade the speed on mine. for the bed I just have 2 put together with a few small metal brackets, first i just had some black plastic for a liner then got a spray in liner the spray in looks good. and good idea for the turning,both with the skid steer and cutting out the bottom.
Attachments
gator done.jpg
By jonesee
quick update to add running video. Still have not fabricated the framework or shock mounts ( plan on using gas struts layed out horizontally) but have it pretty well pictured in my head. My 5 yr old loves the dual gas pedals and is actually really good at driving it. I am worried I am going to have to build a rock crawling course in the new few years to keep him from getting bored though!!
Last edited by jonesee on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
OK, long story short is the ugly beast had a broken key wire solder joint. Since I had it all torn apart we decided to do a few upgrades....installed two more gearboxes to the front spindles for true 6x6 36 volts of power. Center steer rack and pinion steering for butter smooth turns in the extreme terrain. Steel bumper and atv winch. UTV led light bar. Currently designing/welding up the aluminum actuator dump bed. We also came up with a new name!

"Frankengator"

should be an epic build when we get done with this beast.
By Markymarc350
New to this site and to pw in general, first off,awesome builds,looks like you coul answer ally questions I threw at you,
I am currently working on a perg 24v rancher for my daughter,need a recantation on batteries, seems like the gb brand is popular,and the 12v 20 amp seems reasonablely prices,should I go with the higher amp,or just stick with the 12?
Also do your u think the stock setup would hqve a problem with adding a third battery.i was thinking of buying 3 of those batteries,the price for 3 is almost th same as the crappy stock pergo battery. Also is there a better way to contact you, I'm sure I'm going to have more questions,this seems to be our new hobby and daughter is really enjoying working on this together.
Thanks again, my e mail is
Markymarc350@icloud.com

I just looked at the specs for the motor you menti[…]

I'd go quad also at that age. Those 12v Perego mot[…]

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php[…]

Need for speed - Range Rover

Hi All, We purchased a range rover for my daughter[…]

HobbyMasters