KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
first official no progress beyond planning post for the gater build
plans are a winch in the existing battery box,
relocating the battery to the reat tub centered between the wheels (more weight at that point might help traction i hope)
seporate brake pedal
drink holders
and a small tool box

this is my sons work truck lol and has more then proven its self usefull in the past .. time to give it some attention and make it alittle cooler and give it a bit more functionality in the process
Last edited by aVWguy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By aVWguy
went to snap pics of the winch today both in pieces and ready to run .. but cant find the camera again :roll: epic fail

anywho question for those who have gotten tired of looking at batteries every time a charge is needed ..
i have a few switches for F/R and H/L

chargeswitch.JPG

would one of those wired as in that image work to swith from running the vehicle to charrging?
By aVWguy
re-greased the GBs today while i have it torn appart
parts should be in soon for finishing and mounting the winch along with the new camera... :oops: :oops: :oops:
dropped the old one in the lake
side note ... incase anyone is wondering ..
i am using the stock wiring that is there but was never used for the optional electric dump box to power the winch .. neyond that its a momentary on switch that is very similar to the F/R switch in a peg vehicle but only one direction (four pins ather then six)
the motor and gearbox being used is from an older style 6V little quad with a lever on the GB to disengage the gears and allow freewheeling
.... the quad had folding footpegs so with the gearbox disengaged it could be pushed by little feet and riden without battery power
if i remember right it was a late 80's lil'suzuki (gb has been in many projects since the toy got squashed by a car :lol: )
By aVWguy
winch is done and installed
will have pics up soon as i can an mabey a video of it running if my camera wants to play nice . :lol: .. i really do have bad luck with cameras :roll:
By aVWguy
borrowed the mother's camera to get a video of the winch .. should have it up soon
IT WORKS!!!!!!
By aVWguy
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEacyvqmAVc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

end of the video a locking colar fell off o-o .. put it back on and made sure i used threadlock on the screw this time :roll:
BUT!!!! it is a fully functional winch that allows the rope to be freely pulled out then reeled in
few things i didnt mention before ... to keep it safe the rope is tied so it will slip a bit if the winch is overloaded (axle will spin inside the rope)
also have a 5amp circuit breaker inline between the switch and the motor so if it does get pushed alittle too hard it will stop ... tested for a whopping 30lb pull across the ground which isnt bad considering its old junk parts jumbled into a plastic toy :lol:

right now the rope slips at about 10lbs and the breaker will pop at 15 though ... need to be safe ...

parts list (lol)
1 motor/gb assembaly (no idea what number it has a date on it though)
2 3/8 locking colars
1 cut down MTD lawn tractor tie rod (threaded end)
1 1973 VW super beetle front lisence plate bracket (steel)
4ft clothsline rope (light and has some streatch for safety reasons)
1 hook from old broken tiedown strap
1 safety first gas pedal switch
1 5amp self resetting circuit breaker
MANY cups of coffee to drink while thinking building and wanting to throw the darned thing when you cut a finger with the hacksaw
1 box multiple sized bandaids
Last edited by aVWguy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
didnt think to get video of the action but i had fun seeing mini me out "rescueing" his cousin cailin in her little pink jeep every time she got stuck and really working the gator and winch
thinking i may have to start posting more of what happens with the bpros around here lmao ..
you all only see the ones i hang onto for family ... MANY MANY more get gatherd, fixed and donated ... the smiles are worth it
winter is closeing in and its time for another gater mod ^__^
snowplow time
i put the studded tires back on it yesterday and took some measurements .. plan is to attach it useing the slots in the bottom of the body (build a frame from there to the front) then lift it with the winch
also tingering with a light spreader for the bed so he can crawl along and sling sand on the sidewalks and driveways
(20lb cap.)
aVWguy wrote:winter is closeing in and its time for another gater mod ^__^
snowplow time
i put the studded tires back on it yesterday and took some measurements .. plan is to attach it useing the slots in the bottom of the body (build a frame from there to the front) then lift it with the winch
also tingering with a light spreader for the bed so he can crawl along and sling sand on the sidewalks and driveways
(20lb cap.)

Can't wait to see yours. I'm working on one too :) . Cool winch.
mine may take a while .. no heat in the shop currently lol .. so i have to find some way to stay warm and get epoxy and paint to dry before i can do much
baddly wishing i had a cheap wood pellet stove right now lol
Wishing I knew how to upload images from an Android phone ..... Have some of the gater and mini me in action bringing in firewood lol
some past work i forgot to post .... sorry

mud warrior hood cowl with blue LED lights

daytime running

wait, now I'm finding it has 2 motors, maybe I loo[…]

Looks good! Hopefully the new gears will last for […]

Hello all

Just getting really into Powerwheels. My son has a[…]

Would you guys share pictures of your set up with […]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course