KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By DefensiveWound
Im baaaaack! And I promise not to disappoint :twisted:

This project is for a friend of mine. I sold him this Hurricane and then he decided to get crazy...so here we go! I have been working on this for about three days now.

As she started.

The concept: Tablet integration

Cut and trim.

Blue taped for fiberglass. This helps me to create a mold.

Wooden Tablet Housing. Tablet will be removable. Thin foam padding on the inside, tablet holds firm.

I reused the Hurricane radio surround. Flipped upside down and trimmed then epoxied to the stereo sleeve. Stereo fits perfect.

Aux cord will hide behind here.

Installed

Lil F150 Hood cut...

...to put here.

More to show but I have to run to the grocery store.
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

By DefensiveWound
This was the rest of the Lil F150 hood. Foam board base.

You can also see the mesh grill going in.

Fiberglassed.

Mold removed.

Shifter.

Carpet.

Mounting screws glassed into dash piece.

Sorry for the sideways pics, can't fix it.
By bruces_eviltwin
I like where this is going! :D
By x-tremeOCK
I have a Chevy 350 small block with Holly carb you could probably incorperate in this project too...just sayin'.

Like SAHDman said, envy and jealousy!
Last edited by x-tremeOCK on Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By taz11
SAHDman wrote:
bruces_eviltwin wrote:I like where this is going! :D
+1!
+1
By Racer X
Great Sensei,

Your returned, while never in doubt, has been patiently awaited.
I marvel at the many new skills you have brought for us to learn and master.
This young grasshopper is eager to have your full illumination shine upon us.

TRANSLATION: It is great to you see at it again and I can't wait to see the finshed product.

Racer X
By DefensiveWound
Thanks guys! I did some more work on the housing last night.

Popped the mold.

Trimmed up.

Housing fitted to mounting plate.

Housing and mounting plate covered with stretchy fabric and resin coated.

By DefensiveWound
It's a $40 Walmart unit. It's only half the depth of a normal head because there is no CD player but ha an aux input; makes them great for PW. I have some more updates but my girlfriend is occupying the computer.
By DefensiveWound
I got a little bit of detail fiberglass work done on the hood and the tablet housing; nothing pic worthy.

Then I reused the Lil F150 hood on another foam base for the back of the Hurricane, stretched the fabric and resin coated.

I have never played with fiberglass before and I'm really starting to like it! The ideas are flowing :shock:
By daveweber34
DW,

Those screw or bolts that you glassed over.....aren't you worried that they could spin since you can't access the heads when tightening the nuts on the backside?

I like how this looks too! :)
By DefensiveWound
They will not spin. I first coated the heads and surrounding area in resin and let it cure then I added some fiberglass cloth and more resin. I have already tested them and these puppies are secure!
By DefensiveWound
Still need to do some detail trimming and then final forming with bondo. Fits like a glove :D

Added grills to the dash. I might put some tweeters behind there.

By DefensiveWound
Finished the Bondo work and sprayed with surfacer.

Tape template

Template transfered to aluminum.

Cut and done. Fits perfect. Not yet secured.

By DefensiveWound
This is the end of week one of this build. Hopefully week two will allow for paint :twisted:

The upper corners are less dramatic now, i shaved them down a bit after this picture.
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DefensiveWound
SAHDman wrote:I'm afraid to ask what you plan for paint haha. This is turning into a masterpiece
Thank you sir! It should be along these lines but not exactly.

By wired
As always DW, you don't disappoint. You brought some more to the table this time. What have you been up to? Very inspiring.
By Racer X
Hey,..... you can't just drop a post about wrapping your seats and leave it at that. Give us some details!!!!!

Racer X
Last edited by Racer X on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By daveweber34
DW,

Have you ever taken any of your modded PW cars to a car show? I've been to some here in San Antonio and they had PWs entered.
By DefensiveWound
Racer X wrote:Hey,..... you can just drop a post about wrapping your seats and leave it at that. Give us some details!!!!!

Racer X
:lol: :lol: I'll get some more pictures up when I can!
By DefensiveWound
daveweber34 wrote:DW,

Have you ever taken any of your modded PW cars to a car show? I've been to some here in San Antonio and they had PWs entered.
I took the Roush to a local (meaning small) car show about two years ago, before my son moved to Hawaii. It got a lot of attention but was not officially entered into the show. Everyone stopped and watched in awe and cheered when he was doing donuts and drifts! The plan is to get Katrina and the Roush out to a lot of the bigger car shows and actually enter them in. I also have the Dumped VW that I need to finish but I'm not too sure that I will have time to make it for this summer...but I'll try! :mrgreen:
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SAHDman
I would also be interested in seeing a how to for seats cushions. I picked up an orange hurricane a couple of days ago for $25 but it needs come gears/tires. I plan on doing a project with it but I'll never get it up to this standard! :lol:
By DefensiveWound
I learned a lot doing these seats and I will do them a little different the next time around (keep your eyes open, I have another Hurricane with big plans :twisted: ). I will wait til then to do a full write up with step by step pics. For now, this will give you a little idea:

Close up of the vinyl I used to wrap the seat. I will darken the color soon; I think it is too pale right now.

Seat pads made from the thin and thick construction foam from the craft store.

Wrapped in vinyl and then sent off to be sewn. Pads are just resting in place right now. Ill permanently attach later. I still have a couple more pieces to finish and sew.

By DefensiveWound
I'm still alive! I kind of put this on hold for just a minute while I make some plays!

Our shop space at work just doubled and the price increase is next to nothing. What does this mean exactly? Well, we don't need the extra space and the owner told me that I can do whatever I want with the space, which equals roughly 1000 sq.ft., free of charge!! The new space is completely separate from the old space and has it's own bay door and man door. The only connection will be a single man door between the two shops. The plan is to turn it into a paint/airbrush shop! All of the dirty, dusty fabrication work can still be done at my home shop but now I will have a designated and proper place to do automotive paint. I have to wait until July 1st to get in there and see what I have to work with. This will be fun :D
Last edited by DefensiveWound on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Battman2036
thanks. I might try that instead of painting on my current project. This one is amazing so far. I have a ton of questions about the fibreglas
By DefensiveWound
Looks like I might be able to get to painting this weekend. I have been waiting for the owner to get back on track after life threw him some very tough curve balls. We opted out of the custom hood because it just ended up looking kind of funny. If plans stick then I should have some updates (pics :twisted:) next week!
3B Gearbox on 12v?

Just picked up a Lil F150 yesterday. Nothing wrong[…]

Repair Question

You can connect a 12v battery straight to the tab[…]

Background Info: So, I tried to convert my so[…]

Software Testing

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZVik7pBtu9dNS/giphy[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course