KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By SigEp
So yesterday I picked up a Power Wheels Jeep Hurricane (K7112-9993) for $20. My plan was to flip it and it didn't look too bad so I picked it up. It seemed to have all of it's parts less a mirror, and had some seriously oxidized plastic. When I got home, I discovered that the previous owner had likely left it in a pile of mud collecting rain, mud, sun, and spiders for years. Needless to say my quick flip is turning into something more...hence the project thread.

When my wife saw it she was pissed... She thought I was picking up a quick flip and this thing is going to take a couple weeks. She's right, I wasn't thinking clearly. But I just hate to see these things get thrown away when someone with a little know how can fix it back up for another little kid.

So the first thing I did was strip it down to it's smallest part and power wash the whole thing. Several pounds of mud came out with about 5 black widows. They didn't survive long...sorry Bhudists, no black widows allowed to survive around my kid.

I am left with some missing parts, 1 hub cap, seatbelts, 1 right mirror, the little decorations next to the front and back engines, and last but not least, the stickers. The stickers still existed, but they were basically shot, and I'm planning to paint, so I'll add new ones when I'm finished.

Paint, this thing needs paint! I'm thinking bright red for the main body mirrors, shocks and shift knob, tan for the seats and and steering wheel, both engines silver, and accents such as rear grill and engine covers black. If all goes well, I should be left with a one of a kind Hurricane and I'll still make a little money selling it. If it turns out really nice, I might just keep it!
Hurricane1.JPG
Hurricane1.JPG (41.26 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Hurricane2.JPG
Hurricane2.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Hurricane3.JPG
Hurricane3.JPG (52.36 KiB) Viewed 9231 times
Last edited by SigEp on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By SigEp
First thing to do, make sure the gearboxes aren't shot! I disassembled both gearboxes, checked the gears, re-greased them and lubed the motors. So far so good...
Hurricane4.JPG
Hurricane4.JPG (50.1 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
By SigEp
Next, check the motors, shifter, pedal, and wiring. I popped the battery and extracted the battery plug. I then wired it back up with a 40A inline fuse and hooked it up to a new Gruber 12v 12ah. It works! Forward, Reverse, and Forward full speed all work correctly. This was really my final decision point. If the motors or gearboxes were shot, I would probably just part it out and try and make my $20 back. But now that everything works, I need to complete it right...right?
Hurricane5.JPG
Hurricane5.JPG (49.77 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
By jam1ej20
I second that, KEEP IT!
My son loves his. Here is a link to my restoration on the old site: http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=21856
I used the Fusion hammered finish silver for the "motors" and I think it turned out nicely. I also really like the camo colors Fusion offers. If it gets scuffed or scratched, you can just spot paint it with the flat camo colors and you'll never know it was touched up. You might also check out my Easter egg fix for the hubcap if you're just wanting to flip it quickly and not spend much money on getting a new one shipped.
By taz11
I might recommend painting it a similar color. The scratches will be less obvious.
By jam1ej20
taz11 wrote:I might recommend painting it a similar color. The scratches will be less obvious.
Yeah, the blue really shines through anywhere my son scratches his. Luckily, with the flat camo green it's easy to just spot scuff and paint. I've done it a few times already and you can't tell it at all. That's the beauty of flat paint.
By SigEp
The egg shell idea is interesting, but I wouldn't feel right selling a PW to someone knowing there's an egg shell for a hubcap. If it was a keeper maybe. I went ahead and ordered the missing parts so they are all inbound.

Regarding painting. I agree that scratches can be a problem, but I'm not sure I can find a similar color in Krylon Fusion. I figured if I can't find something similar, why not go extreme. And if I sell it, I will make it clear that it's been painted. That way if they scratch it and it shows through, it won't be a surprise. I'll add a couple coats of clearcoat which should help.

Numbers are stacking quickly for this job, car $20, battery/connectors $25, parts $38, paint $30? Hopefully it won't need that much paint, but I'll probably need to sell it for $150+ to turn any kind of profit...
By Miami Hurricanes
I did the same thing you did. I picked up a Hurricane for $10 which I intended on only being a parts jeep for my two other Hurricanes. (I already had one other parts Hurricane too). But then I got the idea of trading it for a Polaris 700 / 2X. I got a few replies to my ad wanting to buy the Hurricane outright, so I decided to do that. But one thing I forgot to do was check to see if it actually ran! Of course, it did not! While I was taking it apart to fix the switches, I decided that since I had it partially disassembled anyway, I would make it a project jeep and paint it pink and purple for my girls and add headlights and tail lights.

I know that you have already gone to the expense of buying a battery and parts, and have gone through the trouble of taking it apart, but did you ever consider parting it out? I would imagine you could have easily recouped your investment by just selling the gearboxes alone. The gearboxes on those Hurricanes are hard to come by! I paid $25 just for a gearbox last year. That is when I started looking for beat up Hurricanes to use as parts jeeps so that I would have spare gearboxes and tires.
By jam1ej20
SigEp wrote:The egg shell idea is interesting, but I wouldn't feel right selling a PW to someone knowing there's an egg shell for a hubcap. If it was a keeper maybe. I went ahead and ordered the missing parts so they are all inbound.
Just so we're clear, it's a plastic Easter egg shell. And I wouldn't have a single problem selling it that way as opposed to no hubcap. Maybe if you've got other parts to buy and you can combine shipping it becomes feasible. The cheapest I could find the hubcap was ~$5 and then add ~$6 for shipping and that's over half what I paid for the Hurricane to begin with. Either way, just an idea.
By SigEp
jam1ej20 wrote:
SigEp wrote:The egg shell idea is interesting, but I wouldn't feel right selling a PW to someone knowing there's an egg shell for a hubcap. If it was a keeper maybe. I went ahead and ordered the missing parts so they are all inbound.
Just so we're clear, it's a plastic Easter egg shell. And I wouldn't have a single problem selling it that way as opposed to no hubcap. Maybe if you've got other parts to buy and you can combine shipping it becomes feasible. The cheapest I could find the hubcap was ~$5 and then add ~$6 for shipping and that's over half what I paid for the Hurricane to begin with. Either way, just an idea.
You're right, I misunderstood. I ordered a kit called a Parts Bag from Hobbymasters which includes a bunch of Hurricane parts including both mirrors, 4 hubcaps, seatbelts, screws, and some other stuff for about $15 plus shipping. I was already ordering decals, so I ordered everything together. I think the parts are for the blue model, so I have some painting to do, but I'm already doing that anyway.
By SigEp
Yesterday I did some painting on a few parts which aren't sun damaged so don't need prep. I also prepared the rest of the plastic. I picked up sand paper and was planning to go that route, but read that some people use heatguns.

I started with the heatgun and wow, how easy it was. It even took out minor scratches and blemishes. I even heatgunned most of the scratches out of the windshield. It worked so well, that some of the parts won't even need paint. Others like the body I think still need to be painted, so I'm planning to do that today.
By SigEp
So here's a couple pics from last night. I finished heat gunning all the sun bleached parts. The resulting color isn't perfect, so still needs paint, but was super easy and much better than sanding. You can see a huge difference if you scroll up to the before photos.
Hurricane6.JPG
Hurricane6.JPG (39.87 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Here's a few parts I did some red painting + clear on. To cover the green, it takes about 3-4 light coats, then I follow with 2-3 coats clear. The non red parts are all stock. All I did was heat gun them and they turned out great. The new color on the shocks is really going to jump out!
Hurricane7.JPG
Hurricane7.JPG (38.86 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Hurricane8.JPG
Hurricane8.JPG (50.21 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Last edited by SigEp on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SigEp
And here's what I got to today. I only had a few periods when I could paint, so I didn't finish everything. I would say I'm about half done with paint. I used the Krylon "Hammered" finish on the engines as was suggested by jam1ej20. Turned out really nice. I cleared those as well for good measure. I know paint will scratch, but hopefully with the clearcoat, it will block all but the determined scratches.
Hurricane9.JPG
Hurricane9.JPG (45.29 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
Hurricane10.JPG
Hurricane10.JPG (44.82 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
By jam1ej20
Looking great. I'm going to have to try the heat gun approach next time. The pics aren't close-ups but that transformation looks amazing! Glad the "Hammered" finish turned out well for you. I found that the thicker you lay on the coat, the more "hammered" it becomes. Waiting to see it all put together.
By SigEp
jam1ej20 wrote:Looking great. I'm going to have to try the heat gun approach next time. The pics aren't close-ups but that transformation looks amazing! Glad the "Hammered" finish turned out well for you. I found that the thicker you lay on the coat, the more "hammered" it becomes. Waiting to see it all put together.
With the heat gun, I suggest starting with a small or not easily noticed part. Then as you learn (doesn't take long), you can move to the larger pieces. A couple things I noticed.

If there is an dirt or discoloration on the plastic, it will melt in. This is fine if you're painting like me, but if you don't plan to paint, would suggest a thorough cleaning.

Also, keep the heatgun too long in one spot and it will melt the plastic to the point that it starts to drip. I did this in one spot because I was trying to melt out a deep scratch. Luckily it's not that noticeable and the paint covered it right up.
By SigEp
Completed the painting today. Now just waiting for the paint to cure for a week before I start re-assembling. I also have a couple parts on order with Hobbymasters. Hopefully they ship soon...anyways, it's moving along.
Hurricane11.JPG
Hurricane11.JPG (73.36 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
Hurricane12.JPG
Hurricane12.JPG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
By SigEp
So I still have two parts that were missing and I just got them in the mail. As soon as it stops raining, I'll paint them (hub cap and mirror) and get them installed. I also have a new sticker kit I need to install to replace the old sun bleached ones.

Everything else is assembled and working. This thing really looks sweet. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep it or sell it...
Hurricane14.JPG
Hurricane14.JPG (49.13 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Hurricane15.JPG
Hurricane15.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Hurricane16.JPG
Hurricane16.JPG (50.4 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Hurricane17.JPG
Hurricane17.JPG (37.83 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Hurricane18.JPG
Hurricane18.JPG (45.63 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Hurricane19.JPG
Hurricane19.JPG (48.74 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Last edited by SigEp on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SigEp
dasilva100 wrote:Niiiice Hurricane... You have done a nice paint job....
Thanks. My first attempt at PW painting. I have a Tot Rod Police Car that I need to finish which will require paint. I figured I'd learn with this Hurricane. It actually turned out much nicer than I thought it would!
By sea_stork
SigEp wrote: I just hate to see these things get thrown away when someone with a little know how can fix it back up for another little kid.

Me too.

Nice job SigEp!
By SigEp
Completed installing the missing parts and sticker kit last night. All done! I'll post some pictures later today. I ended up using more paint than I thought I would, so costs went up...

Car $20, battery/connectors $25, missing parts $38, paint $56. Gas to pick it up not included...

So total cost was $139.00. Not exactly a cheap project. And this doesn't include the 15-20 hours I spent working on it. But I learned a lot and it turned out really nice. Before one of you starts in on a project like this, thought you might want to know the costs involved...
By SigEp
Ok, here's pics of the finished product:
Hurricane20.JPG
Hurricane20.JPG (48.79 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane21.JPG
Hurricane21.JPG (48.59 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane22.JPG
Hurricane22.JPG (50.04 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane23.JPG
Hurricane23.JPG (38.42 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane24.JPG
Hurricane24.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane25.JPG
Hurricane25.JPG (47.21 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane26.JPG
Hurricane26.JPG (44.91 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
Hurricane27.JPG
Hurricane27.JPG (47.08 KiB) Viewed 8857 times
By Racer X
SigEp wrote:Completed installing the missing parts and sticker kit last night. All done! I'll post some pictures later today. I ended up using more paint than I thought I would, so costs went up...

Car $20, battery/connectors $25, missing parts $38, paint $56. Gas to pick it up not included...

So total cost was $139.00. Not exactly a cheap project. And this doesn't include the 15-20 hours I spent working on it. But I learned a lot and it turned out really nice. Before one of you starts in on a project like this, thought you might want to know the costs involved...
I never want to go back and look at what I spent after a build because I am always throwing one more thing into the car, so i know the final number would probably give me sticker shock.

One of the big things you hit on that I have also come to realize is how much the paint cost (time and money). I use to look for the most beat up body because it is far easier to haggle over price with, but now I want to foucs on getting a body that does not need painting. It will speed up the build greatly plus give me an extra $25 to $50 to play with on the purchase side.

Don't get me wrong, I will still take a $10 beat up Mustang any day of the week.

By the way,...... I love your Hurricane. Paint job, color choices, finishing stickers,..... the works. I really want one bad so it only makes me that much more jealous of you.

Racer X
Last edited by Racer X on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jparthum
Great job SigEp! 8-)

I almost bought one of those as my my son's ;) first PWs (researching it led me to this site :D ), but after seeing it in person, I realized how HUGE it is (as big as my riding mower :shock: ), and passed on it due to storage space. :(

...That was 60+ PWs ago :P and my son still isn't really big enough for the small 12Vs. :roll:

:lol:
By SigEp
Yeah, my son's still only 9 months! Not sure how many PW's he's owned so far... Deal is, I get to keep my Top 5, but have to flip the rest to pay for them. So...I've got 3 so far. Still looking for the Dodge Charger Police Car and a Superpower Gaucho. He's also got his 12v Police Tot Rod (#6 technically) that I need to get back to and finish. That's going to be his first birthday present.
By Racer X
SigEp wrote:No need to be jealous anymore. Had a talk with my wife and since this isn't one of my Top 5, we don't have the space to store it. So....sold it today.
If you do not mind me asking,..... what did you get for it?

Racer X
By SigEp
I listed it for $300 and sold it for $250. Definitely not worth the time I put into it. But covered parts/paint costs and I consider it a learning experience. Now I know I'll do ok painting my son's "keeper" Tot Rod.
By monkeydad
SigEp wrote:I listed it for $300 and sold it for $250. Definitely not worth the time I put into it. But covered parts/paint costs and I consider it a learning experience. Now I know I'll do ok painting my son's "keeper" Tot Rod.
Good selling price. You had to have made some money on the deal...unless you used automotive paint. :lol:
By SigEp
Yeah, it was a good price, I made about $100 over cost. But I wouldn't do it again unless it was a keeper for my son. $100 for 15-20 hours work, not worth it... But that $100 gets added to my son's PW account, so that's good.
By Ce-ment
That looks great. I am doing one for my son that is a fire-rescue theme, and will have a very similiar paint job. The only difference will be the roll bar and windshield/dashboard is going to be white - along with some decals I'm getting made. Thanks for posting, as this will give my wife a pretty good idea what this thing should look like when I'm done.
introduction

Hello, I am new member in this forum.hope we have […]

My kids birthday is coming up and I want to get hi[…]

Dynacraft Princess Carraige 24v

This is by far the most helpful 24V install I've s[…]

I saw that they sell 24 volt motors on Amazon they[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course