KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
Well I've been a lurker for some time now. Occasionally posting in the "For Sale section and admiring other MPW projects throughout the new and old forums. I've taken a lot of inspiration from many of you and appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available! I figured it was about time I shared some of my projects. Some of you may have seen some of these already on the FB MPW group.

This is where my addiction started. The wife and I original bought the Smart Car as a present for our oldest daughter as a big sister present. The car went mainly unused for quite sometime. Then one day I found the Crusin Tunes Barbie jeep sitting on the curb. It was in pretty sad shape. It looked to had been stored under a tree that hated its leaves! I cleaned it up, checked the gears, cleaned and lubed the motors, fixed the steering sag, added led headlights, tailights, and repainted it. Then I found this site! I was relieved i wasn't the only sicko out there and as they say the rest is history! This site has helped me find Cheap batteries, replacement parts, great tips and tricks! Needless to say I'm addicted! Unfortunately, the jeep has since been sold but it is being loved by another deserving child!

This was my next project, Dumar Pontiac Solstice. It was a CL find for $20! The plan was to turn it into Sally from cars w/ a lil imagination. Sally is running on 18volts with inner tubes cut down as traction bands on the front tires.

Then my lil one needed a car ;) One day the wifey wanted to do some thrift store shopping. Being the good husband I am, I went along to be her human shopping cart. While doing my duty I stumbled upon 6volt Lightning Mcqueen! With an asking price of $50 I had to have it .....for my daughter! :lol: Of course since the bug bit me I had to Mod it. He got the Radiator Springs treatment, 2 speed harness out of a escalade, HPI GT motors, and a shot of 18volts! He is one of the fastest in our fleet right now.

Then scouring CL I stumbled across one of my own personal Unicorns. I picked up this Hurricane for $40 the original owner said it wasn't running when he got it. Challenge accepted! It was pretty sun faded, loaded with compost and previously tinkered with to no avail. I did a complete tear down, cleaned/lubed the motors, cleaned re lubed the gear boxes, replaced the shifter(bad switches), added headlights, tailights, and painted it. Just as the paint cured it was bought and my unicorn was gone!

These next to came out of Milwaukee WI. It was a pretty decent deal 2 Dale Jr Nascars for $100 both with batteries and Chargers. The plan was to pick them up convert them to Lightning McQueen and sell them. I did some custom graphics and paint work to both and now I don't want to sell them. :oops: I put the wifey in charge of selling them as I can't stand to see them go. Is there a doctor in the house I think I'm feeling a lil sick. :lol:

Last but not least is my last project, which is an homage to the good old hotrod mantra! Find the smallest car and stuff the biggest engine in it! This doesn't include the Escalade, Silverado, Extreme Machine, Corvette still waiting in the garage. :roll: I picked up this lil bug last Saturday and have since installed 23t gearboxes, 2 speed harness, 12 motors, tires and hubcaps from our smart car, tinted the windows and de critterized it! :lol: I still have to light it up with headlights, tailights, and an underglow kit but this is my progress so far. Right now its only 12 volts but plans our for 18 volts. We'll see how my lil racecar drivers like it. :twisted:

Hope you guys and gals enjoy!
Attachments
20130428_153623_301.jpg
3G73Ja3N75L55G55E8d4911134eaca7501d25.jpeg
3Ke3Gc3F85N75L35Jbd493f926899246e13c0.jpeg
20130630_165504_177799-1.jpg
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By bruces_eviltwin
nice work! sheriff looks great!
By toycrusher
Do you use decals or vinyl wrap?
By toycrusher
They all look really sharp. How did you put the smiley faces into the Dale Jr cars?
By cantdrivestock
I bought brand new lightning mcqueen bumpers from hobbymasters our site sponsor. The cabs/eyes are available but to pricey to justify for a flip. A little paint and eye decals do the job nicely.
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cantdrivestock
So I figured it was time for a lil update since Halloween has come and gone. I've been busy working on a couple cars for my girls. My oldest wanted to be Vanellope Von Schweetz from Wreck it Ralph. My lil one wanted to be Taffyta Muttonfudge from the same movie. I figured we might as go all the way so the wifey was Candlehead, my sister was Snowanna Rainbeau, my brother in law was Swizzle Malarkey, my lil nephew was Fix It Felix and of course I was Ralph.

Vanellope cart started out as an Eliminator that I got from NeverEnough1113(thanks again)

Taffyta kart started out as a Francesco Bernoulli

I actually made my wife & daughters costumes as well. After some hard work on the power wheeels this is what I ended up with.

Last edited by cantdrivestock on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
That's awesome. What did you build the body out of?
By cantdrivestock
Thanks toycrusher! The body was made from foam core board from Hobby Lobby. I screwed the side pieces on using 2 existing holes on each side then drill two more hole to secure it to the tub. Then i made brackets to support the front and rear of the body. The front, rear, and top panels are secured with hot glue and 3/4" long staples. It is still nice a lite weight, good for a Candy Go kart ;)
By cantdrivestock
Thanks IDz the kids loved them!

Here are a few more pics of the 911. Plans were to turn this into Sally from Cars but I think it is done for now. I plan on adding mirrors, but I have a bunch of flippers i have to go through. Keepers will have to be put on the back burner for now.
Attachments
1377991_10202241427146857_686898823_n.jpg
1456761_10202241428746897_936357388_n.jpg
1465101_10202241427826874_1720315506_n.jpg
By toycrusher
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

(hold for applause...)

:P :P :P

Love the "Barricade". All awesome work!
By toycrusher
If I may, how do you get your paint so glossy?
By cantdrivestock
Toycrusher I used a 2 stage automotive paint base coat clear coat with a wet sand using 2000 grit the buff and wax. As it sits it had 4 coats of wax on it.

Macwest, the push bar is from a kidtrax dodge charger. I had to do some custom trimming as it was to tall and didn't want it hanging to low. I mounted it by trimming a hole in the front license plate area then secured with screws. For added support I used flat sheets of aluminum on the bottom of each upright and secured it to the front bumper. You can see more detailed pics of the build on my Facebook page in my sig ;)
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By toycrusher
How expensive is all that automotive paint? It looks incredible but I'm afraid to hear what you are about to say! :?
By cantdrivestock
Toycrusher I really wish I could tell you. I'm lucky to have a friend who is like a brother to me and he just happens to be a paint guy. We've worked together for years flipping cars and I have learned a lot about body work from him. Basically, I did all the prep work and primed it then wet sanded before paint and he shot 3 power wheels for me at once. I was lucky because he just happened to be painting a black car at the time. I know in order to get setup for automotive painting it takes a lot in tools and supplies. If you don't have any of those it'll be really costly for the initial setup. If it's just for power wheels it'll take a lot to re coup your money. You can get the same results using rattle can just use quality products. I use rustoleum for primer, base, and clear when my brother can't squeeze me in. I really like the Rustoleum Painters touch x2 paint. The spray pattern is great and flows consistently unlike krylon products. It's even better then some of the Duplicolor products as well.

I've attached a pic of the current Barricade project I'm working on. This one was done using all Rustoleum products. If you'll notice it has the newer Boss Mustang with updated front bumper and hood. I acquired both of these cars from eraser here on the forum. As you can see one was missing the hood and front bumper was pretty trashed. I knew what I was getting into and Eraser told me even before I got out there to pick them up. A quick search on ebay scored me a full harness(not needed but was a good deal), the hood and front bumper. I will post more pics when parts come in for it.
Attachments
2014-02-18 20.23.26.jpg
2014-02-18 20.28.57.jpg
By cantdrivestock
For the front I used escalade wheels, spacers, and about 1/2 worth spacers behind the wheels. For the rear I used 7/16" axle and gearboxes the. Used bushings to fill in the gaps of the 3/4" axle. There are also people who use all thread in the factory 3/4" axle to adapt the 7/16" axle for the Escalade wheels.
By cantdrivestock
Another one done and off for delivery today

Modifications:

6v 1 speed to 12v 2 speed conversion
Custom headlight housings w/ eagle eye led lights
Working taillights
Modified the steering for better angle as per this forum ;)
Custom painted wheels and center caps
Fix the shotty factory decal application
Attachments
2014-03-14 22.56.44.jpg
2014-03-15 01.51.52.jpg
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By wired
All good looking cars. You do really nice work. Thanks for posting them. Gives us something to shoot for.
By jonesee
great job! love the headlight mod, any detailed pics of how you did them?
By toycrusher

jonesee wrote:great job! love the headlight mod, any detailed pics of how you did them?

+1
By cantdrivestock
I really need to start documenting my projects better lol

Basically, for a test run i used my multi purpose tool to trim out the headlight housings. It left me with some unwanted cuts but that was due to my lack of control. For the finished product you see in the pictures i trimmed it out with a good old utility knife. I trimmed the sides and top. I then used foil heat tape to protect the brand new bumper from receiving any unwanted heat in areas that I did not want to get hot. I the used my butane torch and quickly heated up the bottom of the opening. Once it was up to temp I pushed it down parallel with the ground. While it was still hot I hit the underside with a bead of high temp hot glue for support. I then made the back of the housing using a scrap lightning mcqueen hood I had lying around. I used the same technique of heat and hot glue. Once it all set up I drilled the hole for the eagle eye led. I then scuffed the inside of the bumper with an ammonia based cleaner and a green scotch brite pad to prep for blacking out the inside of the bumper. I also masked off the front to protect from over spray and to paint the inside of the headlight housings with chrome paint. Once it was all dry I then took an amber reflective decal & cut it to fit for the side marker light. I used more of the foil heat tape to finish off the headlight and cover the screw hole. The lens on top is made of .020 sheet of Lexan used to make R/C car spoilers. It came in a sheet 12"x8" for $6 off of Amazon.com. I cut it to fit then secured with screws.

Hope you guys can follow all of my rambling. Here are a few in process pics from the prototype lol
Attachments
2014-03-16 07.41.17.jpg
2014-03-16 07.42.43.jpg
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
:shock: Your skills are ridiculous! I have enough trouble modifying stuff, you actually create! Headlight assembly was awesome :D
By cantdrivestock
Just a couple more cars. The first is Project Prowl, he started off as a Barricade but at the request of the client they preferred an Autobot. I of course obliged and here is the finished product. Big THANKS goes out to Battman for his decal, license plate, and swift shipping skills. If you guys ever need anything thing done hit him up he is the MAN!!!!

Second is Boss Lady 2.0. I'm still don't understand what the Fisher Price designers were thinking making a pink car with an orange interior. Anyway, I actually painted the cowl on this hood opposed to using vinyl. I think it came out ok.

I hope you guys enjoy feedback is always appreciated ;)
Attachments
2014-05-17 02.19.38.jpg
2014-05-17 02.20.51.jpg
2014-05-17 02.21.33.jpg
2014-05-17 02.23.32.jpg
2014-05-17 02.25.20.jpg
By cantdrivestock
Thank you!

hkayssi,This was a reply to Macwest whk also asked about the push bar

Macwest, the push bar is from a kidtrax dodge charger. I had to do some custom trimming as it was to tall and didn't want it hanging to low. I mounted it by trimming a hole in the front license plate area then secured with screws. For added support I used flat sheets of aluminum on the bottom of each upright and secured it to the front bumper. You can see more detailed pics of the build on my Facebook page in my sig ;)
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Sat May 17, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cantdrivestock
A couple more, is anyone else getting tired of my Lieutenant Lightning McQueens?

Project Ice Blue

Grave Digger

All decals made by Battman hit him up for your special projects. Truly a stand up guy!
Attachments
2014-06-04 08.09.48.jpg
2014-06-04 08.03.08.jpg
2014-05-31 21.15.06.jpg
2014-06-04 08.17.13.jpg
2014-05-19 19.29.13.jpg
2014-05-19 19.26.41.jpg
Last edited by cantdrivestock on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
Sheesh! Where do you get the time???

My wife shoots me dirty looks every time I GLANCE towards my "play area"... :x :x :x :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a 18v battery for the mustang pat. I picked[…]

Bigfoot, original version I think.

My brother-in-law had this when he was a kid, but […]

Ok, so I tested this with fully charged batteries,[…]

Removing thermal fuses

Greetings, We picked up a free Winston electronic[…]

HobbyMasters