KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
My wife picked this up for $20 last year. I spent the next 4 days on the old website looking for information. I managed to convince my wife our little one was not old enough for it yet so it was tucked away in the garage until a few months ago.

It was driven for about a week before I grew weary of looking at all the faded decals. Decal removal time. Heat gun, plastic scraper, WD-40, and some elbow grease.

My wife caught me with the F150 on the saw horses and made the comment "I wanted to be able to sell it when we no longer could use it." I just smiled.

Battery cover. Good start but it could be a little more realistic (this will make a good Winter project).

Engine bay. We are going 12V one day but where will the 2nd battery go. Saving this mod for later.

I knew what I wanted to do with the windows. No more decals on this truck. Limo tint all the way around.

I wanted (still want) to paint the entire body. But after seeing how my little one drives it is better to wait until he is older. So I compromised and decided to paint only the hood for now. I used some Rustoleum I had left over from a previous project (I know Krylon Fusion is the brand of choice but the can says "bonds to plastic". We'll see about that).

Then somehow I came across a video of carbon fiber effect painting. And decided to give it a try (using three different brands of paint).

While looking around in the archives I see some people put peel and stick replacement mirror on the side mirrors. So off to the store I go. But the sticker shock for a piece of mirrored plastic turned me away and I ended up getting these blind spot mirrors for $3.00 less than the peel and stick stuff.

They stick out a bit far but are totally functional (as if the "driver" is going to care about looking int them).

One morning walking by the Lil F150 seeing it in pieces I thought it could use a dual exhaust.
After some time with PVC, screws, and a scrap piece of plywood I had this.

View of the other side.

Wanting the duals to look cool I decided to recess them into the bumper a little.

A little paint and here is the finished product.

While mine don't look like these, I would love to know how and from what these were made.
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/foru ... C_ID=11219

Once again the carbon fiber effect bug hit and I decided to paint the dash. The picture doesn't show it but a hint of the checkered pattern can still be seen.

But I messed it up and made it extra dark. It was hard getting the shelf liner to lie flat on the curves while I sprayed the paint. I also forgot to put gloves on and ended up painting 2/3 of my hand. (Cardboard box is to catch the over spray. I painted in the garage and didn't want to get paint on the John Deere (non-battery operated ride on) behind the F150.

Next on the list is lights. I have an idea. But since this came with decals front and back I'm still looking for suggestions. I look at this post almost daily Led Flashlight for headlights

I even bought four of the flashlights, I just need to figure out where to install them.

More to come .............
Last edited by speedracer on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

I really like how the carbon fiber paint turned out on the hood, do you have a link to that?
Great job on everything else, can't wait to see it done.

You really need to elaborate on that carbon fiber paint technique!
I like the dual exhaust you made! Also like the chrome addition to the front fenders. Nice touch :)
Seems like you're off to a really good start with this truck.
When you move to 12V, you will probably want to look at using a single 12V SLA rather than two 6V.... tons of how-to info about that here.
As I'm sure you know, there are lots of lil F150 projects buried in the forum. Can be a good source of inspiration (or things to NOT do, lol).
Good luck!
For the carbon fiber effect there are lots of videos on the web but some involve using special paints. This is the video I used since it demonstrates the technique with spray paint.
You will need the following colors: black, silver, and clear. I added a little gray before I put in the silver.

The secret is the perforated shelf liner. It gives you the pattern. The key is not to put down too much paint. And to practice on something first. If the part to be painted is flat then it is pretty easy. When there are a lot of curves (see dash pics above) it gets a little tricky.

I really like the look plastidip gives in the video but it would have cost $30 in paint alone to do it with plastidip.
Just about everyone uses the same basic technique. Some put down black first others silver. The choice is yours. Can't wait to see what others are doing carbon fiber effect on.
Last edited by speedracer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's sweet, I have friends that do that to custom 1:18 vehicles but I never asked them how. Doesn't that shelf liner have a little tackiness to it? If so, I think that would make it that much easier to keep it in place when painting. Can you get that stuff at home depot or walmart?
iDz Bowl wrote:That's sweet, I have friends that do that to custom 1:18 vehicles but I never asked them how. Doesn't that shelf liner have a little tackiness to it? If so, I think that would make it that much easier to keep it in place when painting. Can you get that stuff at home depot or walmart?
I got mine at Walmart. But I think Home Depot has it too. You can even use toolbox liner from Harbor Freight or Sears. The choice is yours.

It does have a little tackiness. So on a simple curve (like the hood) it holds nicely. But on a compound curve like where the dash curves I would have to use a different technique that is difficult with spray paint. The technique is to use a small piece of the shelf liner and match a edge of it with the pattern on the car and spray a section at a time. Wait for that section to dry and then repeat the process until the pattern covers the entire part.
landon wrote:....Also like the chrome addition to the front fenders. Nice touch :)
.........Good luck!
The chrome accents came out of necessity. There was a decal on the front right fender, that just so happened to be the first decal I removed. I wasn't careful with the heat gun and damaged the plastic pretty bad. Fortunately I found these in the clearance isle of the local auto parts store. It is just the right size. All the others were too big or too expensive. There were six in the pack (so I need to find two more trucks to put the other four on) :D .
Finally made some more progress.

I'll start with the now finished carbon fiber look hood.

Green accent stripe and black grill surround for the mesh grill.

Carbon fiber look pattern on the center of the hood.

Tape removed

Final look I was going for. Those are fog lights in the center of the grill. More details on that mod below.

Dollar store flashlight fog lights.
Using a piece of plastic (with the number 8 written on it) screwed in between the mounting post for the original grill.

Cut the end off the flashlight, trimmed the lens ring down so the lights screw into holes in the mounting plastic. Original idea here.

Here they are lit with 12 volts. All leds were replaced with RS white leds and resistors for 12v. The original leds that came in the flashlights were for 4.5v and even though I ran them off of 6 volts they died in a couple of days.

Here they are installed in the hood.

Tail lights and brake lights.
Tail lights are 12 volts but the brake lights are 6 volts and wired to the negative terminal on the pedal so they are lit when the truck stops and go off when the pedal is pressed.
These were from a bargain outlet store designed for 12 volt source. Holes were drilled in the truck, new tail light stickers were placed, and the leds were hot glued in.

Better picture of the tail/brake lights and the strobe lights on the back bumper.

The rear strobes go all the way across but are two separate stripes wired into the left and right side of the strobe controller.

Front strobes.

Also added the following:
-Ignition switch (right side of the dash). Original idea here.
-Turbo buttons (in the steering wheel). Turbo button wiring for 12 volts
-Second battery (6 volt PW battery) under the truck bed.
-Lights switch (far left switch on the left of the dash) for headlights and tail lights.
-NOS switch (right toggle switch on the left of the dash) for activating the turbo buttons on the steering wheel.
-Strobe controller (on the left door panel inside the truck) with three different modes.

Added two DPDT 40A toggle switches (far left of the engine bay) so I can switch from charge to run without accessing the batteries. I can charge both at once or one at a time all with the flip of a switch. It allows for twelve volt operation in the run position. Or I can run it as a dual 6 volt (even though driver is getting used to driving it at 12 volts already). Original idea posted here.

Here are the miles of wiring needed to make it all happen.
Here is a final pic of how she ended up. Work was stopped due to three new additions. One of which you can see in the pic below.

Modifications:
- Carbon Fiber look hood
- headlights and tail lights
- red strobe light front, rear, and underneath
- 6v with 12v at the push of a button on the steering wheel (when the "Daddy switch" is armed).
- Key switch that kills everything
- Toggle switches for batteries (run at 12v, off, charge at 6v). Can run the truck at 6v 14Ah with the switches set to charge and the charge harness plugged into the vehicle.

Why should the kids have all the fun! Used this o[…]

All good. 8-) We're here to support each other an[…]

If both motors are working in high gear, look for […]

The replacement motor gearbox combo may not be sui[…]

HobbyMasters Udemy Course