KidsWheels
Gruber
HobbyMasters
M.L. Toys
KidsWheels
HobbyMasters M.L. Toys
Gruber
KidsWheels
Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
By jonesee
051.jpg
this is the inspiration that started this build
051.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 8557 times
Ok, here are some teaser pics of the current project. Right now it is running on 48 volts with 21 tooth #7 gearboxes. I installed the upgraded 24 volt 350 watt peg perego 775 series motors and it does a great job of drifting.

Still waiting on some parts but I think you will get the idea. I tried to stay with common kart parts so I can reuse a lot of the parts for future projects like the kids sized rock racers we are planning to build once the kids are too big for the powerwheels. Basically it will be kart parts built out of 1" square tube. I am a huge drag racing fan so this is going to be a Pro Mod theme with 1/4 sized sponsor decals on the monster wing and all! axle is 1-1/4 kart axle with 3/16 keyway. Standard American 3 bolt rims and hubs, 11x8.10x6 racing kart slicks and the fronts are the wheels left over from the metal gear currie gearboxes used in the rzr project. For the motor I pick up a 2300 rpm winch motor with a 3/4 shaft and am using #35 chain and sprockets. Cannot remember gear ratio but it put it around 16 mph. My main goal is to build a sweet looking race car that will pull wheelies at will. It will be painted orange with bits of polished aluminum and carbon fiber. I already have the parachute and wheelie bars figured out in my head. I will try to take lots of pics but u know how that goes when you start working!!
Attachments
IMG_20131017_105220_975.jpg
IMG_20131017_105242_298.jpg
IMG_20131017_105252_987.jpg
IMG_20131017_105314_659.jpg
IMG_20131017_105335_031.jpg
IMG_20131017_105345_684.jpg
Before
DSC_1634.JPG
After
Last edited by jonesee on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.
By jonesee
video of current setup. I know she is ugly but that's why I m going to hack it apart!! lol

Last edited by jonesee on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahhh jonesee, you always have some of the most interesting builds to me. I can't wait until you do a JATO (jet assist take off) rocket or some such thing on one of these...... :)
Last edited by daveweber34 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Awesome!

Is it running through an ESC right now or just direct? And were any animals harmed in the making of that film? :lol:
By jonesee
daveweber34 wrote:Ahhh jonesee, you always have some of the most interesting builds to me. I can't wait until you do a JATO (jet assist take off) rocket or some such thing on one of these...... :)

Thanks for the idea Dave!! my boy has a serious need for speed and the JATO may just have to go to the drawing board in the next year or two :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By jonesee
toycrusher wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Awesome!

Is it running through an ESC right now or just direct? And were any animals harmed in the making of that film? :lol:

just direct from 4x5ah 12 volt batteries. I think because of the small capacity the burst of power is lower. I have noticed that on any of my ride ons with 18ah capacity seems to have more off the line speed. I speculate it is like RC lipo batteries that the high performance ones have a higher C rating, like how car batteries are rated in cold cranking amps? does anyone else experience this or am I crazy??
By jonesee
got out the sawzall today!!
Attachments
IMG_20131102_232056_555.jpg
rough guestimate of material to remove
IMG_20131102_232112_869.jpg
before the point of no return!!
IMG_20131103_243521_035.jpg
they fit, barely!
IMG_20131103_243531_407.jpg
pillow blocks will bolt to the 1" square frame that will have plates welded and bolted to the underfloor.
IMG_20131103_243543_400.jpg
Looks like the motor will mount in the rear of the axle, between the wheelie bars
IMG_20131103_243556_938.jpg
will notch out the plastic for the axle sprocket carrier once I mount the motor and line up the pinion gear.
Keep the pics flowing. That is looking totally awesome! :twisted:
By landon
jonesee wrote:I already have the parachute and wheelie bars figured out in my head. I will try to take lots of pics but u know how that goes when you start working!!

Hell yes!
NOW we're f'n talking!! :lol: :lol:
This thing is going to be a monster, Jonesee... can't wait for the next update!!
I know that your axle will be chopped down, but it makes me think of those Roman chariots and how it would have those decapitating spikes coming off of the wheels. Do you have any neighborhood kids you don't care for? I bet some wheel spikes plus your 48v motor would keep 'em off your property. Just sayin'......
By jonesee
cantdrivestock wrote:How is the run time with the 4x 12v5ah batteries?

this is strictly a race car build. Run time is not even a factor since it will be used for drag racing using a modified timing system using this http://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/6570dragtimingsystem

now I have to finish the mustang and pick either the Camaro or charger so my boys can drag race.
By jonesee
It rolls!! now for the wiring!
Attachments
IMG_20131108_152246_686.jpg
get to break in Grandpa's new rolling fabrication station
IMG_20131109_115917_029.jpg
bottom plate before cutting for the drive sprocket
IMG_20131109_125454_055.jpg
Grandpa teaching my 5 yr old to plasma cut
IMG_20131109_151754_089.jpg
pillow blocks mounted to frame and body
IMG_20131109_173108_939.jpg
pillow block and sprocket mounted to frame
IMG_20131110_103442_036.jpg
motor mount frame
IMG_20131110_114924_673.jpg
framework done other than plate at the back that will attach the wheelie bars
IMG_20131110_122100_714.jpg
running gear installed
IMG_20131110_122441_943.jpg
top view
By toycrusher
That's just plain sick :twisted:
By jonesee
landon wrote:
toycrusher wrote:That's just plain sick :twisted:

+1
Can we expect some tire-smoking action from this beast??
I'm pretty jealous of the rolling fabrication station, ps! That's sweet...

thanks guys :D not sure about tire smoke since those massive slicks should provide plenty of traction but I do plan on needing the wheelie bars we made for this project.

yeah that fab table and all gramps metal tools are really slick, I think plasma cutters are my new favorite tool. I am trying to resist the urge to buy myself a welder but I am not too good at NOT buying tools!! :mrgreen: I figure if I have my own I can get the custom car trailer welded up so my racer can haul his stang to the track! more pics coming soon, once I get my shop cleaned up so I can actually use my workbench :x

I have the wiring figured out and am using a 200 amp Kelly controller, if I could only find that dang reversing contactor!

I am not sure how a 12 volt 12ah battery will hold up to the amp hungry winch motor, but I would like to stop adding weight to this beast. At least there is enough room for 2 12 volt 18 ah batteries under the seat if needed :P
Attachments
IMG_20131110_142053_567.jpg
one more pic of my son watching his wheelie bars come to life
Last edited by jonesee on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
cantdrivestock wrote:I vote Camaro for the classic pony car battle! Plus the Charger is a 4 door. Keep up the great work!

I agree! it took me over a year but I finally checked 2 off my most wanted list. A guy had both a national products Camaro and the avigo charger in great shape for $275. I have so many projects going right now I cannot even park my truck in the garage @#$%
Last edited by jonesee on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
Well things are rolling along, but just as I expected, I am having trouble figuring out the wiring for this beast. I posted a question in the ESC section if anyone with knowledge in DC wiring that would be awesome!!

more pics to follow after I get time. Thanks in advance to anyone with the know how to get this thing breathing!!
Attachments
IMG_20131205_150346_943.jpg
IMG_20131205_150356_923.jpg
Last edited by jonesee on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By toycrusher
I changed my mind, it's officially SUPER SICK! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
By jonesee
Here is the latest update. I thought it would be fun to take comparison pics of stock and the parts that are going into this build. Somehow this project has gotten way out of hand with the 4.5 hp motor, front disk brakes...... basically I turned this into a go kart.
Attachments
DSC_1167.JPG
stock axle and 1.25 inch kart axle and ring gear
DSC_1168.JPG
stock mustang wheel and 12x8x6 kart racing slick
DSC_1169.JPG
standard scooter esc and Kelly KDZ 200 amp controller
DSC_1170.JPG
stock 550 series motor and 12 volt 4.5 hp 3 post winch motor
DSC_1171.JPG
stock and the beast!! with 15 t pinion
DSC_1172.JPG
stock 14 gauge wire and 4 gauge easy flex welding cable
DSC_1173.JPG
great cable crimper for large wire, just wack it with a hammer for a solid crimp
DSC_1174.JPG
added radial bearings to the currie metal gearbox wheels
DSC_1176.JPG
front disk brakes and steering updates
By jonesee
Here is the second part of the update! hopefully when the kids go back to school next week and the weather is not in the single digits I can get this thing put back together. The wheelie bars are just about done and I will be starting on the parachute, rear aluminum wing and lighting next.
Attachments
DSC_1177.JPG
eco fab scooter mechanical disk brakes up front
DSC_1178.JPG
my first welding project with my new Lincoln 180 c mig welder was this battery box that holds 2 18 ah batteries
DSC_1179.JPG
cut the scooter handle bars and made a hand brake that is mounted where the old shifter goes
DSC_1180.JPG
stock verses pro mod go kart axle
DSC_1182.JPG
5 wire 5 volt golf cart pedal has a micro switch that closes upon pedal input and when you let off it applies electro braking and regeneration that recharges the batteries
DSC_1183.JPG
hand brake drifter style! all we need is bleach to get those big slicks smokin'
DSC_1184.JPG
moved the solenoids to the rear and saved about 15 feet of #4 wire
Last edited by jonesee on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
Lastly I need to give a public thank you to Toycrusher for his expert wiring skills. Without his help this project would be dead in the water but thanks to him taking the time to figure out how to use a winch motor with solenoids become variable speed the wiring is done :mrgreen: . Crusher you rock!!. I am worried that with the soft start wheelies are not going to be possible though. Any chance someone can shed some light (toycrusher) on how to add a NOS boost turbo button to bypass the controller to give me full power off the line???
Last edited by jonesee on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonesee
landon wrote:
toycrusher wrote:That's just plain sick :twisted:

+1
Can we expect some tire-smoking action from this beast??

Landon, I added front disk brakes per your request to see some smokey melted rubber :lol: :lol: :lol:
No problem, I'm happy to help. To be honest, I'm really happy you brought the build onto the forums while still in progress. I love a good challenge and unfortunately having a family has pretty much dried up the adventure fund... :x

I am worried that with the soft start wheelies are not going to be possible though. Any chance someone can shed some light (toycrusher) on how to add a NOS boost turbo button to bypass the controller to give me full power off the line???

Ask and you shall receive...

However, are you sure you are aware of the most likely outcome of your request? "Pony" cars can get a bit of an attitude sometimes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2glUgibdKW8#t=7[/video]

Or this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=orx7imw27Bo#t=5[/video]

Ok, now that the legal disclaimers are out of the way I'll get started :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
We are going to splice into your existing wiring harness. Fortunately for both of us, I seem to have graduated from Pre-K and jumped all the way to 1st grade in my graphic art skills! :D :roll:

Here is where we cut into what you have now.

20131209_083236m2.jpg

Take the lead you just disconnected, and plug it into this new diagram.

Turbo boost.jpg

The battery is your existing 24v battery pack. You can connect your grounds to the B- terminal on your ESC if it's easier than running to the battery itself. Same goes for power, you can pull from ESC B+ instead of the battery if it's easier. Do be careful that your relays are isolated from the frame/chassis since we have power/ground reversed there. The thicker lines are 4ga and the thin ones would be the same small gauge you are using elsewhere. The red/green rocker switch switches from ESC control to direct control via the steering wheel button. The covered rocker switch is redundant but I think it looks cool and adds some flare 8-) (along with another line of safety :? )

As an alternative, you can flip the relay control circuit power/ground. Take the ground that you already have running to your fwd/rev switches and go from there to your 3-way switch, rocker switch, turbo button, etc. Take the small relay wires currently connected to B- and move them to B+. Power will flow opposite through the switches and relay circuit but operation will be the same and it will likely be less confusing having all control circuits on the ground side.
Last edited by toycrusher on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesee,

I see something that worries me on this. For your steering, it looks like you still have the front spindles passing through the stock plastic housing. If you are pushing 20mph on this, I would feel more comfortable if that was reinforced with some metal.
DSC_1176.JPG
DSC_1176.JPG (47.26 KiB) Viewed 9164 times

I am using one of CJB Turbo Timer Gold boards and running a Jeep on a 24v esc with a 6v boost for a total of 30v. During one outing my daughter told me the steering was becoming hard. Next thing I knew and the stock plastic that holds the spindle started to rotate and bend under. Your's will be under way more stress than that I am afraid if they run into anything that plastic is going to want to give.
Last edited by daveweber34 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave, thanks for your input. I plan on adding a piece of flat stock across the top of the spindle that will support the top. I considered going all out and replacing the whole section with steel and c hubs. I will definitely take your advice and upgrade this important area.
Man I did not expect that mustang to flip over and right itself again, that must have been a wild ride.

That jockey must have said the quickest prayer in the world, that could have ended much worse!!

I hope my project is not too harsh, since I am sticking with 12 volts to the motor. One of the coolest features of the controller is I can hook it up to my lap top and adjust it voltage %.

If everything works safely the Kelly controller can use any voltage input up to 30 volts, fwiw
Last edited by jonesee on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
toycrusher wrote:We are going to splice into your existing wiring harness. Fortunately for both of us, I seem to have graduated from Pre-K and jumped all the way to 1st grade in my graphic art skills! :D :roll:

20131209_083236m2.jpg

Turbo boost1.jpg

The battery is your existing 24v battery pack. You can connect your grounds to the B- terminal on your ESC if it's easier than running to the battery itself. Same goes for power, you can pull from ESC B+ instead of the battery if it's easier. Do be careful that your relays are isolated from the frame/chassis since we have power/ground reversed there. The thicker lines are 4ga and the thin ones would be the same small gauge you are using elsewhere. The red/green rocker switch switches from ESC control to direct control via the steering wheel button. The covered rocker switch is redundant but I think it looks cool and adds some flare 8-) (along with another line of safety :? )

As an alternative, you can flip the relay control circuit power/ground. Take the ground that you already have running to your fwd/rev switches and go from there to your 3-way switch, rocker switch, turbo button, etc. Take the small relay wires currently connected to B- and move them to B+. Power will flow opposite through the switches and relay circuit but operation will be the same and it will likely be less confusing having all control circuits on the ground side.

holy cow! thanks Crusher :mrgreen: so all I need is a on/on toggle and a couple 2 post solenoids? seems almost easy enough for me to grasp :lol: :lol:
and I agree that the arming toggle is a must for cool points. I will draw it up in my kindergarten level schematic skills and see if I can do this without needing further hand holding. Thanks again for the awesome help you have given me.
toycrusher wrote:We are going to splice into your existing wiring harness. Fortunately for both of us, I seem to have graduated from Pre-K and jumped all the way to 1st grade in my graphic art skills! :D :roll:

20131209_083236m2.jpg

Turbo boost1.jpg

Ok, I am already confused (did not take long :lol: ) my esc only has 3 connections. B-, M and B+. No M+ and M- like you show in your diagram??
the diagram was using an LBD 14. For your controller, the b positive and m positive would be together(or motor connected directly to the positive terminal on your batteries). the M negative would just be m.
toycrusher wrote:the diagram was using an LBD 14. For your controller, the b positive and m positive would be together(or motor connected directly to the positive terminal on your batteries). the M negative would just be m.

Ok, parts are ordered and my chicken scratch schematic is sharpied :mrgreen: Once I stopped staring at all the cool switches the nos/boost wiring diagram you provided is pretty basic in changes (only one wire :o )

thanks again for all the help T.C.
daveweber34 wrote:Not to throw water on your parade or anything, but for that much power, did you ever consider CJB's Turbo Timer Gold?

No, only because I am unfamiliar with it. I will do some looking and see what it is all about. Thanks ;)
I love it because it locks the NOS button out so it can't be overused. I'm not sure of your kids age, so maybe this isn't an issue. In fact, your kids are probably already pretty old if you are building this for them....
daveweber34 wrote:Not to throw water on your parade or anything, but for that much power, did you ever consider CJB's Turbo Timer Gold?

For this car, It's not actually a turbo button. It has enough power under the hood to reach a higher speed than any power wheels has any business getting to. The turbo button is actually an exhibition mode, or "wheelie" button. As an added bonus It also tests the structural integrity of the chassis... :twisted:

It converts the car from variable speed ESC control to direct on/off like a stock power wheels. The button is the "gas pedal". So it doesn't boost speed, it just creates violent launches. Besides, with a potential 300-amp draw at 12v, he may only have a 7 min run time anyway :x :D :D

I'm also not sure how much to worry about his kids. Click some of his youtube links, they are already used to running some of the sickest rides out there!
Last edited by toycrusher on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave,

Toycrusher pretty much explained the purpose of this build perfectly. It is strictly a "trailer queen". I am building a tandem axle trailer so the kids can trailer it down the road to the park and unload it to do some heads up, scale 1/8th mi. drag racing using a modified RC timing light system.

I am fully aware that is build might be too extreme and deemed unsafe for child use, and will abort this build if testing proves dangerous.

I will not let 3 out of my 4 children even sit in this beast let alone give them keys to drive it. If you watch any of my videos Crusher is referring too, you will see that we have worked our way up to the 20 mph speed. Any 5 year old that can comprehend a dual hall pedal setup and how to properly use it for tight radius turns has a knack for anything with a steering wheel.

He is also pretty good on his MX350 and I think that goes 12 or 14 mph too. He is almost 6 years old has been driving ride ons for 4 years and is lets say "bored" with even the 36 volt 14 mph ride ons we have, he shows great reaction and driving coordination but cannot throw a baseball more than 6 ft and has no interest in sports, period. His twin brother wants nothing to do with racing but will fish all day long and is a natural athlete, where the racer casts his line, looks at his bobber and says "im done" and throws the rod in the water! :evil: :evil: Polar opposite twins are interesting to observe growing up, I call them ying and yang :mrgreen:

Right now my son wants to be a race car driver and a welder, so I will do all I can to see if this is the life path he will choose. When I built my 460 ci 66 stang I dreamed of being a chassis fabricator and now I may have a chance to live vicariously thru him :P .

hope to get some lighting done today once I drop the kids off to school.
Last edited by jonesee on Thu May 22, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In hindsight, I know that you have things under control. I think I have the problem of seeing everyone's build through the prism of how I think my daughters would drive. My four year old would be on the NOS button non-stop, even if it is only seven minutes. If there is a button on something...well it must be there to be pushed dad! I guess I'm turning into a helicopter parent on other people's builds. :?

And I still think your builds rock...this one included! What size chain are you using? 35? 40?
Last edited by daveweber34 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveweber34 wrote:And I still think your builds rock...this one included! What size chain are you using? 35? 40?

thanks for the compliments Dave, I truly appreciate your concern and I will admit that I am nervous of the outcome a tiny bit!! :shock:

I went with #35 http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREME-35-GO-KART-RACING-CHAIN-BLUE-BOX-106-LINKS-/190895521842?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item2c72428032

and this chain break tool http://www.ebay.com/itm/35-Chain-Link-Breaker-for-Tool-Go-Kart-Cart-Mini-Bikes-Motorcross-Break-NEW-/221288143753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3385cd1b89

I stayed with common kart racing parts so they are heavy duty and can be used for future projects once the "powerwheels" world is too small for my kids.

this is where my future builds will be going, mini rock racers :P :P :P and maybe one for this big kid too :lol: :lol:
Attachments
P1010171[1].jpg
I've had plans to build one of those for years! You can start with just about any front wheel drive motor/transaxle combo, set it length-wise in your chassis, adapt your CV shafts to driveshafts, and connect them to your axles. I've got an older 3.0L Chrysler V6 I've been saving along with some Suzuki Samurai front axles for a 4-wheel steer mini monster truck :twisted:
toycrusher wrote:I've had plans to build one of those for years! You can start with just about any front wheel drive motor/transaxle combo, set it length-wise in your chassis, adapt your CV shafts to driveshafts, and connect them to your axles. I've got an older 3.0L Chrysler V6 I've been saving along with some Suzuki Samurai front axles for a 4-wheel steer mini monster truck :twisted:

Sounds like you have some work to get started :lol: :lol: :lol: Samurai's are the perfect candidate for this type of build.

I have an old beater 4x4 S-10 that may donate its organs when its pitiful Michigan rusty body expires.
got some decent fab work and wiring done this weekend :P finally!!

wired up the blue fog and amber running lights. I am going to look for some amber led strips that I like better than this little oznium super flux but I kinda like how small it is, what do you all think? The running lights will turn on with the key along with rear 6" led light strips for the rear running lights that will go along the bottom of the lens. The 2 head and 6 round led taillights will be on a separate switch and will be installed after the paint is on.

Finally decided where to place the Forw/Rev, hall/NOS (thanks for posting the pic Crusher), NOS Arming toggle, momentary g ,nos, boost, turbo, holy @#$% or whatever you want to call the full power upon pressing button, led light rocker, and key switch. I also dissected the stock led sound and light insert and installed a really sweet led volt gauge that reads volts and has a bad @## graph that ramps up when you turn on the key. I wanted to pitch the sound system and install the key where the sound effect push button is but my boys love the engine sounds (so do I ) but want to install an amped up version! Toycrusher provided details on how to make it happen and frankly it is over my head :oops: If anyone has done this and what parts they used, or can recommend (links please) the parts to make the sounds super loud, that would be fantastic :mrgreen:

I sketched, cut, welded and flew sparks in the wee hours and came up with some wheelie bars that look pretty darn scale accurate.

Hope to get working on the aluminum wing and parachute mount in the next few days.
Attachments
100.jpg
blue fog led and oznium side markers
101.jpg
the oznium side markers are kinda small so I am going to search around for some led strips in amber
104.jpg
wheelie bars and esc controller mocked up
105.jpg
ran out of room so decided to mount the controller under the wing and behind the parachute
106.jpg
Direct 12 volts-nos button on steering wheel
107.jpg
I think I will need to purchase a label maker for all these switches @#$%
Last edited by jonesee on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
after reviewing my post I see the pics are kind of far away and blurry so here are some close ups
Attachments
108.jpg
wheels borrowed from my Grandma's walker!
109.jpg
half inch square stock and quick release pins on the plate. I definitely need to make the trailer a dove tail for easy loading!
110.jpg
took a hole saw to the led light box and made room for this volt meter that I just cant stop watching ramp up on power up. Why can't my wife get as excited as me when I show her this little gem?
111.jpg
I am enrolling my son it flight school before he gets to drive this thing!!
Last edited by jonesee on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have also been having second thoughts on my original paint choices. I think this would look slick matte black like "murder nova" from my favorite show Street Outlaws
Attachments
murder nova2.jpg

Jammin Jeep and lifted Fire Rescue added.

Power Rider 1500

hi am interested in your power rider 1500 ..where […]

Hello- brand new to this forum. Been checking on h[…]

You bought a new Superpower ? Nice. Don't add tha[…]

HobbyMasters